Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Plot-and-setting-spoiler-free Dark Souls 3 discussion

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
So, I decided I won't read the main thread(s) not to get spoiled. But I'd like to hear what you guys think.

First, many people said that Bloodborne was a quick cashgrab. Now some say DS3 is a quick cashgrab. I just don't get it. I can see Bloodborne as a meticulously created, subtle structure, with unique lore and true substance. I guess I'll see in 6 months how I think about DS3 in that regard.

But second, what do you think about the combat system? I think introduction of 'skills' seems to introduce more complexity, but even if it does, it may be seen as organizing properly the complexity which had already existed in the series, in the form of various more or less hidden or difficult to execute moves. Also, while everything seems to be faster than in DS1, the old first-timer technique 'go slow and always hide behind a shield' is still viable in the beginning (well, after you find a shield with 100% damage absorption, of course.)

I'm now playing with a small round shield and a rapier. Its two skilled moves are p. awesome. But is it just me or is parrying a bit more difficult than in DS1?

I like the fact that enemies now follow me more ;)

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Now some say DS3 is a quick cashgrab. I just don't get it.

Lets see, game is basically nothing but reused Bloodborne maps and monsters mixed with Dark Souls 1 NPC's, is sold right off the bat with a SEASON PASS, the game was released in an unoptimized unplayable state simply because it was the end of Japans fiscal year and they wanted to look good and get the product out there. I mean God damn you'd have to be fucking stupid not to see this, or just willfully ignorant.

Elwro

Arcane
Unoptimized unplayable state? I'm playing since Tuesday with no crashes and frankly no problems at all. As for the other bits, well, maybe I need to play more, but while I see the inspiration from Bloodborne at times, right now I wouldn't say they 'reused levels'.

So when Minsc returns in BG 2 it's fine, but if Andre is there in Dark Souls 3 it's somehow wrong?

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Unoptimized unplayable state? I'm playing since Tuesday with no crashes and frankly no problems at all. So when Minsc returns in BG 2 it's fine, but if Andre is there in Dark Souls 3 it's somehow wrong

Because you're the only person that matters right? You fucking selfish retard.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/374320/discussions/0/365163686079892761/

https://www.vg247.com/2016/04/12/da...ing-pc-players-from-going-past-first-bonfire/

Also, who cares about baldurs gate. They're gobbling tranny cock in that wasteland of a franchise now. Keep reaching souls fags. GIT GUD PRAISE THE SUN NOTHING IS WRONG WITH MY DERIVATIVE OVERPRICED VIDEOGAME.

made

Arcane
Restarted as knight, set light to low, capped framerate at a cinematic 30fps, installed latest beta driver. Still crashing every few steps in the castle.

This is definitely the hardest souls game so far (in terms of getting it to run). Praise Miyazaki San!

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Haven't had a single crash so far. Outside of some very high detail areas I get 60FPS on a mix of low and medium settings. I'm using a GTX 760. The only annoying thing is a slight freeze that happens sometimes when saving. Hopefully they'll release a performance patch and fix some of the issues people are having.

I'm about 14 hours in and the game seems easier than the others so far. I beat the first two bosses on my first try, the third boss on my second try. Hopefully it will get tougher later on.

Season pass I don't mind because Souls expansions are always high quality. I'll buy it the day before the release of the first expansion.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
i had one crash in the chargen and no other major technical issues, but the relentless and fast enemies start to wear me down. almost every enemy was a test to see who can get staggerlocked/r1 spammed to death first, and it is not fun.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So far my only issue has been the very visible textures pop-in. Can anything be done about it?

DramaticPopcorn

At first, I kept crashing before the first boss, then it was okay but now that I am at the 2nd boss and I died during the boss battle -> game saved -> crash -> start game-> resume at my death near boss gate -> crash on loading into bonfire, happens ervery time no matter the settings I try

Pls release me from this torture

Grimlorn

Arcane
Dark souls 3 lore wise feels like a better sequel to Dark Souls than 2 does. But this is only the sense I get so far. Haven't read all the lore or seen the videos but it builds on Dark Souls more than 2 does. 2 just introduced some throne concept that didn't make much sense to me within the setting.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
From what I've seen that's intentional. 2 almost seems like it took place in another universe if you throw out some of the really obscure references and recycling of items. 3 more naturally follows albeit thousands of years later.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
On the technically side, I've only had one crash, but was def getting a lot of slowdowns until I turned down some options. I still get some occasional lag when I suddenly reveal large areas or many enemies, but it's very playable. Considering how much more detailed everything is compared to the previous two games, I'm hardly surprised it's more demanding on the hardware.

Gameplay wise, I think it's excellent. The enemies are a lot more varied; some are vulnerable to being baited, others to being alpha struck or stunlocked, others to trading blows, and so on. No more one-size-fits-all strategy for killing all enemies. The weapon movesets are much improved by the 'skills'. They make a lot of the previously boring weapons more interesting (even a stock rapier has fancy moves now), and a lot of the boss weapons more viable by moving their weird fancy attacks like the super slow black knight charge swings to auxilliary attacks and leaving in the bread and butter stuff. Though in some cases it really makes no difference (what is the point of adding a stance button that only offers one move? Just skip the stance and make that button use that move!.)

Getting the proper parry off seems much more difficult to me, but partials seem easier. To be fair though, I haven't really tried with anything made for parrying like a parry dagger or whatever.

Two things I think are huge improvements mechanically:

Changes to spellcasting- linking it to estus is an excellent way to balance this shit, both because it gives you a total limit to how much you cast which eats from your health limit, and because it forces you to chug more estus during boss fights to keep casting.

The fucking camera. Dear god it took them long enough, but they've finally solved that horrible shit where walking your camera into an object would swing the view around randomly and make you walk off a cliff abruptly. Sometimes it gets completely blocked by random furniture or whatever bullshit, but it's far better than the previous system.

As far as major gripes go, the online system has been a huge pain in my ass. I've had periods where I'd get kicked out of the game back to the menu every 5 minutes or so because my connection to either the dark souls or steam servers was interrupted. For some reason this boots you to the menu instead of just making online elements disappear. Especially annoying when it kicked me out of a boss fight. Only solution here is to play offline or wait for them to fix their shit, and even then it'd suck if you have an unstable internet connection.

From what I've seen that's intentional. 2 almost seems like it took place in another universe if you throw out some of the really obscure references and recycling of items. 3 more naturally follows albeit thousands of years later.
Not really. In short :
Ds1 was first cycle after gwyns sin
DS2 was one of the many cycles that happened later on but also the most significant one that brought the idea of "inheriting/usurping the thrones"" next to linking the flame and BC finds way out from hollowng for himself but cant break the curse. There is also that cryptic Aldias ending in SotFS. I wonder if ds3 dlcs touch upon that.
DS3 seems like literally the last chance cycle for this world after couple last lords of cinder took inspirations from Blood Omen&Kain and showed the world middle finger. Everything is shit even fucking sun is bleeding. And all points to theory that both Ds1 endings lead to the same. You either link the flame and cycle repeats or you let the flame die only to reappear years later.

thats why that third hidden ending in DS3 is best ending :bounce:

Did anyone notice that karla the witch seems like another shard of manus and sister to Nashandra/dlcs queens?

Last edited:

Elwro

Arcane
"what is the point of adding a stance button that only offers one move? Just skip the stance and make that button use that move!"

In case of the two paired curved swords the mercenary uses, they did exactly that. And the idea is you can follow this by pressing R2 at the proper moment, so instead of choosing which of two stance moves to execute, you choose whether to execute 1 or 2 moves in succession.

LOTS of secrets in this game. I'm only 20 hours through, playing slowly, not reading anything on the net, and I already enjoyed more secrets than in DS 2, I think. Some of them offered nice vistas too.

It turns out I missed out on an easier set of locations and reached a boss behind two levels which would've been really easier if I had the items from that easier set ;) Nice.

Also I'm enjoying the fact that when you look from above at the region you're about to visit, shit really makes sense and corresponds to the locations you actually go to. (That's how you can realise 'damn, I should've been able to visit that structure... how did I miss it'?

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
So, how do invades work this time? Wasted 5 broken red eye orbs trying to invade for maybe the first time since I started playing the Dark Souls games and every fucking time I've been against 2 or more people, and that's before they saw me and started summoning from every sign on the ground to gangbang me.

Happy to report that I haven't had a single crash in the 12 hours I've played, but I get some occasional slowdowns, as DR reported. Netcode seems to still be shit though, had a few times where I was helping someone, the boss froze and I could punish it without taking any damage, or people hoverboarding everywhere.

Elwro

Arcane
I tried invading in the first area and it was 1 against 3 as you said. I guessed I'd wait and invade later, it's only natural people summon help like mad when they notice an invasion.

I have seens red signs as a hollow! So you can invite an invader ;)

Now, I will just tell you that currently I'm in an area in which invasions happen, not too frequently but they do, and the fights seem balanced. So just keep playing.

Steve

Augur
So, how do invades work this time? Wasted 5 broken red eye orbs trying to invade for maybe the first time since I started playing the Dark Souls games and every fucking time I've been against 2 or more people, and that's before they saw me and started summoning from every sign on the ground to gangbang me.

Happy to report that I haven't had a single crash in the 12 hours I've played, but I get some occasional slowdowns, as DR reported. Netcode seems to still be shit though, had a few times where I was helping someone, the boss froze and I could punish it without taking any damage, or people hoverboarding everywhere.

I think it prioritizes people who have summoned phantoms so most of the time you'll find yourself in 1vs2 and 1vs3 situations. I've been invaded by a red phantom only once while ember on, felt happy for him that he got a good fight instead of the usual machete rape squad. Invasions get easier later on as you can team up with either Farron or Aldrich phantoms, there are also some cheeky fucking spots that you can abuse and be annoying as hell in later areas.

Mystary!

Arcane
No need to waste red eye orbs, you can find a reusable non-cracked one if you follow a certain persons questline.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Get g0nked, Dickwraith!

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
There needs to be penalties for disconnecting in PVP, at least for the invader. Something like a 1 hour cooldown before you can invade again. Sick of fighting faggots who run away and disconnect when they start to lose.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom