Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Procedurally generated cyberpunk dungeon crawler Conglomerate 451 released on Steam Early Access

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But I know that they were good despite their immersion breaking puzzles

I'll give a different example. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic went from okayish to good because it had some good environmental puzzles that put you in it. Just to give an example from the other side of the spectrum.
Knocking over boxes to bury some mobs under rocks (or using your environment in other flexible ways) is not something I'd consider a puzzle.

User0001

Savant
Knocking over boxes to bury some mobs under rocks (or using your environment in other flexible ways) is not something I'd consider a puzzle.

There were puzzles to get into secret places for extra loot. Quite a lot if I remember correctly. I don't blame you for not playing the game, the combat was tedious after some time.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

There were puzzles to get into secret places for extra loot. Quite a lot if I remember correctly. I don't blame you for not playing the game, the combat was tedious after some time.
Well, I did play through the game, but when it came out, so... if there were actual puzzles in the game, I forgot about them :lol:
Either way, if those were optional, that's much less of a problem.
I know some people for some weird reason like non-RPG mechanics in their RPGs, but because puzzles are generally a love/hate thing (with way more people hating than loving them), it boggles the mind that many (non-puzzle) games make them mandatory and unskippable.

User0001

Savant
I know some people for some weird reason like non-RPG mechanics in their RPGs, but because puzzles are generally a love/hate thing (with way more people hating than loving them), it boggles the mind that many (non-puzzle) games make them mandatory and unskippable.

Who the hell do you speak for (you?) ? Who are your people? What games are you talking about?

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Might and magic, Wizardry, Eye of the beholder, Grimoire, Legend of Grimrock. These are example of games with puzzles as a core part of the game, if you remove them they would probably not end up as successful as they did.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Might and magic, Wizardry, Eye of the beholder, Grimoire, Legend of Grimrock. These are example of games with puzzles as a core part of the game, if you remove them they would probably not end up as successful as they did.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Besides that...
The only game you are right about in that list is Legend Of Grimrock. All the others could've been stripped of puzzles and would have been better for it. In Grimrock, the combat is so bad and the puzzles so numerous that it makes sense to say the puzzles are actually the key feature. Frankly, the game is more similar to something like The Witness (but with some derpy combat in-between).
Try and find the number of reviews praising these games' wonderful puzzles like lockpicking minigames and button/lever puzzles. You'll be searching long and find very little, what is praised is usually something else about those games. Which only goes to prove my point that non-puzzle games can be good despite puzzles, but pretty much never because of them.

And claiming that puzzles were a core part of Might & Magic is quite a stretch, really.

Who the hell do you speak for (you?) ? Who are your people? What games are you talking about?
I won't list all those games. Google is your friend.
And the people I talk about are simply most gamers. Once you grow up and have played a lot of games and read a lot of reviews by a lot of people, it just becomes clear that most people dislike puzzles in their non-puzzle games. VERY few love them, many hate them, many tolerate them. Which is about as surprising as tomato on a pizza.
They are foreign bodies, their mechanics unrelated to the rest of the game (though at least some have skills influence parts of them). Imagine playing an RTS game, but you have to solve some puzzle to place a Tier3+ building - does that seem like a good idea to you? Of course it doesn't. Just like artificial puzzles in RPGs.

User0001

Savant
.. it boggles the mind that many (non-puzzle) games make them mandatory and unskippable.

Just a single one will do fine. In this case, google is your friend. You made the claim, so you bear the burden of proof.

Once you grow up and have played a lot of games and read a lot of reviews by a lot of people

The people in your head does not count.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

You Sir, speak out of your ass. The core of Wizardry is exploration, char dev and combat. Wizardry games have puzzles, especially from 5 onward, and most of them are utter shite. I love Bradley's games, but his puzzle design is usually terrible and the games could have down without it

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
.. it boggles the mind that many (non-puzzle) games make them mandatory and unskippable.

Just a single one will do fine. In this case, google is your friend. You made the claim, so you bear the burden of proof.
:lol:
You are really delusional if you think I'm even going to bother for some random guy on the internet. If you cannot be arsed to look for a game (many of which have already been named ITT), cause you're so afraid you might find out you are wrong (hint: you are), well...
Besides, why would I need to prove anything to you? I don't care what you think and already know that I'm right. I made no claim, I stated facts, and I have no obligation to further prove them.
The sky is blue. Sometimes. Want me to prove that to you, too?

Last edited:

mindfields

Learned
Hopefully it will be better than that other sc-fi procedural blobber which came out the other year, can't remember the name but god it was awful.

User0001

Savant
:lol:
You are really delusional if you think I'm even going to bother for some random guy on the internet. If you cannot be arsed to look for a game (many of which have already been named ITT), cause you're so afraid you might find out you are wrong (hint: you are), well...
Besides, why would I need to prove anything to you? I don't care what you think and already know that I'm right. I made no claim, I stated facts, and I have no obligation to further prove them.
The sky is blue. Sometimes. Want me to prove that to you, too?

If you wanted to state an opinion, that's fine. I was just curious about the information, of which is very lacking in this offtopic discussion.

I'm not trying to slander you.

peace

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Hopefully it will be better than that other sc-fi procedural blobber which came out the other year, can't remember the name but god it was awful.
I think you are (at least) the third now to say that. Assuming you are talking about StarCrawlers.
Many people felt that StarCrawlers wasn't horrible, but very bland and tbh I had to look up the game's name as well... doesn't bode well for a title.

mindfields

Learned
I think you are (at least) the third now to say that. Assuming you are talking about StarCrawlers.
Many people felt that StarCrawlers wasn't horrible, but very bland and tbh I had to look up the game's name as well... doesn't bode well for a title.
Game held my novelty for a few hours but then it got very boring, interestingly for a game with random levels every time it still felt like the same shit over and over.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
This looks shit. Procedural generation never works well unless the game is designed to be short or the world generation is interesting enough to be the main draw in its own right. From the trailer, this looks like lazy, dull, procedural generation that's just the same assets used in random order. Combine that with my least favorite RPG genre (blobbers) with random monsters popping up every two steps you take, and you have the recipe for Juan_Carlo's personal gaming hell.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Fantasy General and Xcom were perma-death but one is a tactical wargame and the other a tactical squad game. Do i see save scumming in the future of this?

youhomofo

Augur
Buy it, may wait a bit before actually trying it. I love SciFi dungeon crawlers and there can be too many of them.

Please point me in the direction of a good SciFi dungeon crawler. I legitimately did not know these existed.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Please point me in the direction of a good SciFi dungeon crawler. I legitimately did not know these existed.
Captive from 1990:
captive_01.png
captive_03.png
captive_06.png
captive_07.png

A sequel, Liberation: Captive II, was released in 1994.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom