Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Project Warlock - retro inspired FPS, but expanded with character progression and upgrades

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.gaming-company.com/projectwarlock.html

https://af.gog.com/game/project_warlock?as=1649904300

Also with handcrafted levels.

628BEA42CD42FF4F2E24BD9D65D5831341FC4539

7957F771473AF47FBA4A961B951315BC699B3F22

DEzwFbEXsAE92Ch.jpg

Project Warlock is a Wolfenstyle retro FPS with spells and guns.

This game is retro inspired, but it's not supposed to outright mimic the way older games looked or played. We are taking some themes and ideas from various titles and then applying our spin to them in order to create a game that pays homage to the classics but in the same time is going to be it's own thing. We don't aim to recreate the past. We want to learn from it.

There are two sides of the retro inspirations here: Low res sprite based pixelart objects and simplified level geometry. This is both an artistic and a pragmatic choice. It gives Project Warlock it's unique style but it's also easier to develop. We are a small team with limited budget and little experience so we have to work within some limitations. This means the game won't get stuck in a development hell and will actually be finished.

The graphics are retro inspired, but retro is just the baseline. Every sprite and texture is created using a 16 color palette, but in the game it is enhanced by lightning and contrast that stretch the palette beyond that.

The other retro inspiration is in the gameplay:
- You collect large arsenal of weapons that are at your disposal at all times.
- You explore and navigate through handcrafted levels in search of keys, pickups and secrets.
- Combat is centered around moving around, charging, dodging attacks and projectiles.
- There are no cover or stealth systems nor any regenerating health.
- There is no focus on any story or plot. Just gameplay.
- there will be NO procedural generation of anything.
- There will be bosses.

- This game is inspired by retro themes, but we want to expand them where possible. That's why this game also has things like:
- Stat based character progression
- Fallout style perks
- weapon upgrades
- hub based nonlinear level progression
- spell casting system independent of regular weapons
- multiple game modes that allow to replay any level in a different way
- difficulty variants for both hardcore and casual styles.
- limited lives system that is a lighter form of permadeath. But it will probably be optional.

Character progression and weapon upgrades will allow players to try out different playstyles. You can focus on firearms, melee combat, spells or keep everything in balance.

Weapon upgrades will change the behavior of weapons in very meaningful way. We are strongly against boring incremental upgrade systems, that are so tiny you can't even notice if they actually work.

=====FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS==================
1. What engine does this game use? Will it run on Zandronum/GZDoom etc.?
Answer : This game uses Unity3D Engine, therefore it won't run on any of these engines. It is not a WAD, its a Standalone game.

2. Any Alpha or Beta tests?
Answer : Some tests may come later on, as for now the game is not ready for that.

3. What is the planned release date?
Answer : The game is scheduled to release in October 2017

4. What are the minimum system specs?
Answer : The game currently runs smooth using high settings on :
CPU : Intel Pentium 3 Xeon @ 2.6GHz or better
GPU : Nvidia GeForce GT 220 or better
RAM : 4GB or more

5. Are the levels randomly generated?
Answer : No! The game will contain a full campaign with handcrafted levels! Yay!

Looks like there's no website yet, so Facebook and Twitter here:
https://www.facebook.com/ProjectWarlock/
https://twitter.com/bckshtsoftware

Last edited by a moderator:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wolfenstyle? I mean, I guess you could call it that, but this more represents Hexxen than anything else, with the non linear hub and spoke type design with fantasy weapons and stuff.

But it looks pretty cool, the graphics aren't shit. It's style definitely looks pretty cool as well. Kind of like a dark fantasy thing.

Lagi

Savant
melee combat! damn.. i lcan't remember last good first person punchers.

I hope I can also be able to do "pacifist" run with killing as few enemy as can.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
How is that supposed to be Wolfenstein-like geometry? Wolf 3D levels were completely flat.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Do the levels have any verticality? They should have verticality, flat planes have been outdated since Doom, and Wolfenstein 3D is completely obsolete thanks to that.

Other than that - holy shit FINALLY a game inspired by oldschool FPS that ACTUALLY HAS HANDCRAFTED LEVELS INSTEAD OF RANDOMLY GENERATED SHIT, THANK THE FÜHRER

Zenith

Arbiter
Other than that - holy shit FINALLY a game inspired by oldschool FPS that ACTUALLY HAS HANDCRAFTED LEVELS INSTEAD OF RANDOMLY GENERATED SHIT, THANK THE FÜHRER
Hey, remember Wrack? Yeah, me neither.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
This might be fun to play but it looks like shit compared to Hexen, Heretic, Doom, Blood etc. I wish some competent dev would make an FPS with gameplay and aesthetics inspired by 90s games but with modern graphics instead of this "omg so retro XD" crap :?
oh and fuck that "rpg" stuff...

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Just went to the steam page...looks interesting, graphics seem to be a too WoW-esque for my taste. Maybe I'll give it a spin. Is it gud? Ugh...random dungeon design though :?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Just went to the steam page...looks interesting, graphics seem to be a too WoW-esque for my taste. Maybe I'll give it a spin. Is it gud? Ugh...random dungeon design though :?
It's ok, but it's really more of an arena shooter than say, a doomlike.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Got Ziggurat in some Humble Bundle for a dollar.

It's fun, but it's an arena shooter roguelite with pre-made arenas but random monster spawns.

That's pretty far from the classic Doom/Quake/Duke fare.

Lagi

Savant
I buy Ziggurat, and after half hour get bored. it has no proper labirynts, just areas with monster spawn to exterminate. and weapons are bleh.. (also no melee)
then i launch Heretic to confront my nostalgia, and I discover new fun with items that application I can not figure out as kid (i use only book and flask back then).
Heretic is better.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Ugh... those retro-artstyle... why it has to be 16-bit though... Even Wolfenstein didn't have that 16 color limitation... It especially looked ugly on the UI...

soulburner

Cipher
Sounds interesting, however I do not like the "retro-inspired" look. Not only in this game but in most other "retro" graphics. I don't know, old games tried to look more realistic and advanced with the tech they had at the time, while modern pixelated things focus too much on being pixelated. They don't look retro, they just look blocky. I haven't seen 'true' retro look in a modern game yet... This one looks better than most, especially on video and gifs, but there's still something "off".

I love the "You explore and navigate through handcrafted levels in search of keys, pickups and secrets" part very much and the centered weapons.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
HUD needs to be changed.

The colour palette is bad. Plus the bloom everywhere.

It looks more like some random Amiga Doom clone than a proper monocled PC shooter.

The game could be saved in a long run by level design, but I suspect something like downgraded Serious Sam with a mixed simple mazes for some variation.

Plus, it needs 4GB of RAM ? Talking about optimalization.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The game could be saved in a long run by level design, but I suspect something like downgraded Serious Sam with a mixed simple mazes for some variation.
How in the fuck's name were you able to divine that from a short trailer?

As for the system requirements, it's 2017 duh. Might as well whine about it not running on Dos.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom