Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Rage 2 from Just Cause devs

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Hines, May 9, 2018.

1. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Don't be afraid, it will get smaller when the sandstorms encroach on you until only a small area at the center is left ;)

• Kitty Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard

They are on top of things.

• Brofist x 2
    • Prestigious x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth

RAGE 2

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Chad J. Thundercock ヽ(✿゚▽゚)ノ Patron

Chad J. Thundercock
    Is that even a worse fate than being under Square Enix? It's just barely an upgrade in my opinion.
    Interesting that it isn't id Tech they are using. Although id Tech hasn't been proven to be very good for wide open spaces yet I would have thought that they could modify it and id could serve as the technical backbone of Bethesda. I expect Bethesda to have a in house engine when their next game rolls out as it's been like 3 years since Fallout 4. That's around half the time it takes to build a fully featured game engine in house, although they would probably have to do some extra hiring or cooperate with other studios that are under Zenimax.
    I sort of expect this to be some sort of Borderlands esque open world shoot and loot coop game, although Avalanche has yet to make any multiplayer games. On another note, is the Mad Max game any good? I have never seen the movies but the game is on sale constantly so I'm thinking of buying it eventually.
    Although shitting on Bethesda is the universally enjoyed past time here, I think the game looks decent. I most likely won't be buying it until it's far cheaper years after release. Maybe it will be 10/10 but it kinda looks generic at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Nirvash Learned

Nirvash
    Why? Rage was horseshit and sold way below expetations.

Just make a new ip.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. orcinator Learned

orcinator
    IT'S LIKE FALLOUT MEETS MAD MAX!

Christ, it's like they saw how fucking generic shit like Destiny and Anthem looked, rummaged thought the IPs they owned and said, "hey, if we make a sequel to this we can make something just as generic".

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Keppo Learned

Keppo
    The problem with Avalanche games that they are fun for few first hours at best, then uninstall.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. I want to be Life Coach Grorious Reeeeeder Patron

I want to be Life Coach
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Its .223, they might as well be hello kitty.

• Racist Racist x 2
    • retadred retadred x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. soulburner Savant

soulburner
    This trailer looked good one moment and bad the other. I hate the "my left hand has superpowers" thing they promote here and not using id Tech in an id game (even when developped by another studio) is just weird. Well, I'm going to check the demo out, probably :P

^ Top  
  10. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Lololol dumb shit doesn't even know that you can ask them magic 8-balls only yes or no questions.

• what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. soulburner Savant

soulburner
    The first line in the youtube video description says:
    So it seems Bethesda did the same thing to RAGE that they did to PREY. Took the trademark and made their own thing - it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the original, except for the overall postapocalyptic feeling and some of the enemy design. I wonder how exactly is id Software involved in this at all, initially I thought they just gave the technology at least, but now their logo might be attached to it just to attract id fans. Or maybe Tim Willits oversaw the project to some extent? So many questions!

^ Top  
  12. Zer0wing Arbiter

Zer0wing
    Ahem, bethesda published the first RAGE also.

^ Top  
  13. soulburner Savant

soulburner
    Yes, I know. What I meant is they made Rage 2 something that's only vaguely similar to Rage 1. Like some executive thought the name "Rage" is kind of cool, so let's use the trademark we own and make a new game. Apart from the "postapocalipticness" and maybe the existence of the Authority it seems to ignore the first game completely.

^ Top  
  14. Chad J. Thundercock ヽ(✿゚▽゚)ノ Patron

Chad J. Thundercock
    I don't really agree with that. I clocked in over 70 hours on Just Cause 2 although I started installing some retarded mods at around 50 hours through that gave me nuclear C4 and Superman abilities and shit.

^ Top  
  15. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    Id + avalanche = nudoom gunplay meets just cause open world
    Looking how the character shoots and moves it's just like you'd be playing nudoom.

I think this might be an okay buy for 5$ GOTY edition 3 years from now.

Just Cause 3 had a memory leak that was never fixed tho.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    ^ Top  
  16. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Open World Mayhem is the exact antithesis to id Software's ethos of hand-crafted level design. Instead Avalanche gets to make a shitty Far Cry-style sandbox shooter. Will there be l00t bawkses too I wonder? I'm replaying RAGE now and I must give id credit for their meticulous attention to detail. Even the characters are painstakingly key-frame animated to ridiculous levels.

Fuck that. At least there's still new Prey stuff coming. Woe if Arkane succumbs to the open-world Bethesda disease.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  17. Chad J. Thundercock ヽ(✿゚▽゚)ノ Patron

Chad J. Thundercock
    Open world is absolutely fine if it is done by a developer who knows how to design the game based around it, and I feel that Avalanche is one of those studios.
    Fun fact actually, Just Cause 3 was made by Avalanche New York since Avalanche Sweden (who made Just Cause 2) were making Mad Max during that time. The New York studio was brand new and had 0 experienced talent as the Sweden studio did.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Joined on the 4th of July Arcane

Joined on the 4th of July
    Is it gonna have battle royale?!

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Curratum Learned

Curratum
    The art direction in both trailers is worrying, all the bright colors are hideous.
    The repeated hammering home of how open and seamless it's going to be leads me to believe there will be zero detailed, hand-made indoor locations / levels, which is exactly why I play shooters in the first place. The closest thing we'll probably get will be open-world bullshit "outposts" and small enclosed areas.

The forest / swamp / jungle locale seems looks just like a scene out of theHunter: Call of the Wild - a hunting sim that runs on Avalanche's Apex but is put together by a small, clueless indie studio and runs pretty poorly.

I hope it's not as utterly terrible as I fear it will be. :( I actually loved the first RAGE, played it through twice and thought the gunplay and combat were watertight, with very decent level design.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Vexxt Educated

Vexxt
    Yeah I played the original Rage just a couple years ago, and I have to agree about the character animations - they were amazing, even by today's standards.

There's that one mission later in the game where you have to blow up a tunnel or similar, and on the way you run into a couple construction workers, one of which is using a jackhammer. I swear I watched the guy with the jackhammer for minutes, just because of how impressive the animation was.

There really were a few standout moments in that game which kind of hinted towards what the original intent was, but it just fell short.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. rohand Savant

rohand
    Bethesda is about to make you its bitch!

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Martius Liturgist

Martius
    Looks like you can at least more mobile in combat thanks to dash, double jump and slam from air (in theory). Now lets see if there will be regenerating health, iron sights and if car combat and open world will fit rest of game any better than first Rage.

^ Top  
  23. The Dutch Ghost Learned

The Dutch Ghost
    From the look of that gameplay trailer, I bet that if the intro was done differently that Bethesda would have been able to sell this as Fallout 5.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    I see why they hired Avalanche, Mad Max is a technically impressive game, the game is gorgeous and it had some really nice ideas like half of the map being an old dried sea bed with crystallized salt everywhere, visually it was a Mad Max game, it explored well the setting on some places like making Sidney airport on a sort of lair for a creepy mutant tribe, the problem with the game was Ubisoftitis, none of the mechanics were deep enough to make the repetitive gameplay loop of foot combat and car combat interesting.

Obviously this is a Far Cry/Mad Max hybrid, it depends how they handle shooting mechanics , if it is yet another Call of Duty model game, the basic gameplay will be mediocre as fuck, center screen recoil perfect guns on the general direction of retarded AI goons = dozens of Ai goons dead before they knew what happened, boring as fuck. I wouldn't be surprised if they did this way anyway, Far Cry 5 sold more than 10 million copies, it wouldn't be interesting to me no doubt.

What is interesting is the participation of Id and the fact of you having some sort of jet pack, this might indicate they are going for NuDoom shooting model where movement is important and you dont need to be some iron sights lamp post mowing down headless chicken with your AK 47 that is almost as accurate as an sniper rifle like on Far Cry 3 to 5, this could make the repetitive combat interesting enough to make the open world gameplay bearable.

Rage vehicle combat was crap, Avalanche had an interesting system where you could target different parts of a car during combat with different effects on each part hit that was interesting, if they develop that system enough (it was kinda superfluous on Mad Max as it didn't take too long for you to get super powered torpedoes that one shot most enemies anyway) and balance that system better so you actually need to use it, you could have some nice car combat that isn't just shooting the enemies until they explode like Rage, what would be absolute shit.

Of course, all of this is I assuming Bethesda actually care into making their popamole games less mediocre than the competition, what could be a fabulously optimistic attitude from me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Assisted Living Godzilla Savant

Assisted Living Godzilla
    Needs more in-game footage and less pseudo Celtic Burring Man cosplay. At least the pink and blue hair seems to be absent form the flashes of game in the trailer.

Oh, I just saw the other trailer.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)