Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rance Series

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Used to think 'hyper weapon' was an ironic translation, but it's actually ハイパー武器 in Wapanese.
Why did you think that?

Red Eye

Learned
Last episode of the OVA will be in June.

My Glorious Days should be played in it

Red Eye

Learned
kpzjee.jpg

Spoilers for whole series

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
I've been out of the loop for some time, so could some please enlighten me: did the alicesoft-mangagamer partnership kill all rance translations? Are we doomed to wait praying for them to have mercy and release official Rance games in English, or is there still hope for V, VI and others to be translated in our lifetime?

Grinolf

Arcane
I've been out of the loop for some time, so could some please enlighten me: did the alicesoft-mangagamer partnership kill all rance translations? Are we doomed to wait praying for them to have mercy and release official Rance games in English, or is there still hope for V, VI and others to be translated in our lifetime?
Translations stopped because the only two persons who still left translating Rance series are involved in this partnership. So in theory someone else could start doing them again. AS didn't care so far about what gaijins do with their games, but MG could have a different policy in that regard and stop any attempt.
And originaly this parthership was supposed to bring 6, but instead they released some trash because it was newer and not part of the bigger series. Releasing far better game to create a much better first impression apparently isn't considered a good strategy these days. There is still a chance that they return to 6, but I would rather not have a hope and be pleasantly suprised if this would happen, than betting on it to happen and ending up being disappointed.

Red Eye

Learned
It will be Escalayer next. We all know it.

Translations stopped because the only two persons who still left translating Rance series are involved in this partnership. So in theory someone else could start doing them again. AS didn't care so far about what gaijins do with their games, but MG could have a different policy in that regard and stop any attempt.
And originaly this parthership was supposed to bring 6, but instead they released some trash because it was newer and not part of the bigger series. Releasing far better game to create a much better first impression apparently isn't considered a good strategy these days. There is still a chance that they return to 6, but I would rather not have a hope and be pleasantly suprised if this would happen, than betting on it to happen and ending up being disappointed.

Technically since MG don't have the Rance license they can't stop anyway.

It's just that their are very fan translators capable of doing it who are willing to rock the boat

TigerKnee

Arcane
If they were going to do Escalayer, I think it would have been the first game.

I want to flip my coin on Evenicle.

Red Eye

Learned
If they were going to do Escalayer, I think it would have been the first game.

Evenicle is less likely than Rance

Escaleyer has the reboot and Haruka sold well for Mangagamer so they would be keen on a similar game

Red Eye

Learned
Evenicle is less likely than Rance
And why would you say that?

For one thing, it doesn't have "where the hell do we introduce players" issue of Rance being a long-running series.

Because it's newer and still full price in Japan.

Alicesoft aren't going to let MG go from a game from 2008 straight to 2015.

If we believe MG part of the reason they ended up with Haruka was because Alicesoft were reluctant to give them something new

Grinolf

Arcane
Hm, from screenshots this (both art and gameplay wise) looks exactly like RQ, which isn't good, but still not the worst what could happen.

For one thing, it doesn't have "where the hell do we introduce players" issue of Rance being a long-running series.
I don't even know. Maybe, just maybe, do the same thing fan translators did, and releasing SR first would be an easy solution to a problem.

Red Eye

Learned
Hm, from screenshots this (both art and gameplay wise) looks exactly like RQ, which isn't good, but still not the worst what could happen.

I don't even know. Maybe, just maybe, do the same thing fan translators did, and releasing SR first would be an easy solution to a problem.

Evenicle is really fun.

Easy but really fun and relaxing.

On the introduce new players to a series I still think Rance VI is fine.

It does a good enough job of introducing the recurring characters when needed - Kanami/Shizuka/Patton etc and is the first real modern Rance game.

Starting with Rance 01 means that you will release the modern, voiced Rance 03 before going back to Rance VI from 2004 with no voices and poor resolution.

Grinolf

Arcane
Evenicle is really fun.

Well, unlike the game MG just released, this one looks like something I could try. But still one could hope that after all these years since RQ AS would improve their 3D art, but from screenshots it's looking even worse. Not to mention the character design, which is very bland and generic.

It does a good enough job of introducing the recurring characters when needed - Kanami/Shizuka/Patton etc and is the first real modern Rance game.

From my very limited understanding of the VI plot it seemed that older characters played far bigger role there than is SR, which introduced new ones and older ones were optional and not involved in the main story. So SR is less dependent on previous games than VI. Also it was already served the role of introdution of Rance to the West and proved, that "big series" issue is mostly just a self created problem.

Red Eye

Learned
Evenicle is really fun.

Well, unlike the game MG just released, this one looks like something I could try. But still one could hope that after all these years since RQ AS would improve their 3D art, but from screenshots it's looking even worse. Not to mention the character design, which is very bland and generic.

From my very limited understanding of the VI plot it seemed that older characters played far bigger role there than is SR, which introduced new ones and older ones were optional and not involved in the main story. So SR is less dependent on previous games than VI. Also it was already served the role of introdution of Rance to the West and proved, that "big series" issue is mostly just a self created problem.

The 3D graphics aren't that great (who plays Evenicle for the 3D art anyway) but Evenicle is a much more enjoyable game than Quest (at least to me).
Most other people I've spoken to who have played it think the same though.

As for VI yeah the older characters have a much bigger role but they're all introduced and you get pretty much everything of importance pretty quickly provided you've got any sort of comprehension ability.
Like you get that Rance has a bad history with Shizuka and to a lesser extent Kanami and they don't like (or claim they don't like) him that much.

Last edited:

TigerKnee

Arcane
I like Post-Magnum RQ better than Evenicle gameplay wise, but it's definitely not a bad game at all.

The art is by Senran Kagura's artist instead of Alicesoft's usual team, which might actually be a good marketing point if it were localized.

Also it was already served the role of introdution of Rance to the West and proved, that "big series" issue is mostly just a self created problem.
Remember - most people (which is already a bit of a niche) were willing to try Sengoku Rance because it costed them nothing - I'm going to bet a lot of them wouldn't buy a rerelease of Sengoku Rance because they "already beaten the game 7 times" so they have to open it to a wider market for profits - and how many people are going to risk their money on a long-running series with continuity if they actually have to pay for it?

I don't think it's as small an issue as it looks.

Grinolf

Arcane
Remember - most people (which is already a bit of a niche) were willing to try Sengoku Rance because it costed them nothing - I'm going to bet a lot of them wouldn't buy a rerelease of Sengoku Rance because they "already beaten the game 7 times" so they have to open it to a wider market for profits - and how many people are going to risk their money on a long-running series with continuity if they actually have to pay for it?

Point was that it's not a problem to introduce people to this series, as SR is the perfect for it by being the best in it and having mostly stand-alone story that not reliant much on the previous and the next games. And if they so worried that large series would scare people off then why ever position it as part of the bigger series in the first place.
And if they assuming that majority of their customers already played fan-translated version and there is no market for it, then the whole problem of "introducing to the series" isn't there anymore.
And it's actually pretty big deal that SR was managed to become popular even if it was free, as majority of games can't accomplish even that. And looking at the things MG released so far and I wouldn't bother with them even if they were free (and it's very easy to get them for "free" even now). In fact, everything decent from them could probably be covered just by one hand. And if there is market for all these titles, then I fail to see why SR wouldn't find one.

Red Eye

Learned
Save for Higurashi and Umineko they haven't ever released a game that has a fanpatch.

Though Aru did say once that he'd be fine retranslating Sengoku

Red Eye

Learned
For those of you who haven't gotten around to/aren't learning the moonrunes allegedly August 12 might have some good news

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom