Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Editorial: Games Journalism Scandal

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Despite the harsh tone, I love how the article builds our credibility as a media outlet - there's some talk going on about us on the webz.

But, Jebus Christ, what's with Codex blackouts? Now of all times? Or is it because of this article and increased traffic it attracts?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
No, we have been blacklisted WAY before this article.

By those this article steps against, right? So we are free evangelise the discontented rest in our ways. ;)

None of the Professional Gaming Journalist™ websites that I know of Blacklist us. They basically ignore us, just the same way people ignore Kotaku (LOL Kotaku, LOL codex).

EDIT:
Stephen Totilo ‏@stephentotilo
@ZombieSPni Not scared in the slightest. A story is forthcoming later this week.
(Editor of Kotaku)

Robert Florence ‏@robertflorence
Penny Arcade piece on the legal threats after my Eurogamer piece last week - http://penny-arcade.com/report/edit...-libel-law-and-the-gaming-press-why-this-stor

I highly doubt he will tweet ours. :obviously:

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
No, we have been blacklisted WAY before this article.

By those this article steps against, right? So we are free evangelise the discontented rest in our ways. ;)

None of the Professional Gaming Journalist™ websites that I know of Blacklist us. They basically ignore us, just the same way people ignore Kotaku (LOL Kotaku, LOL codex).

Yeah, I did not mention a blacklist anywhere - I wrote about Codex blackouts which happen to me.

I was more referring to the phenomena this article is a symptom of - this year we have had lots of quality articles which attracted attention of many people around the web - not necessarily gaming journalists. Due to the sheer quality of the content (and admittedly the shistorms in the industry we are witnessing), Codex is now less associated with a bunch of whiners and living fossils, and more with the people who actually may have a point. I hope this trend continues.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oh my, there's been even more endorsement at Neogaf since I last looked, including Durante's praise (the guy who modded Dark Souls)...

Durante said:
That RPG codex article is amazing, both the content and the way it is written.
(Yeah, I love convoluted sentences, so sue me)

...and this:

bigdaddygamebot said:
It made my heart grow three sizes today.

xD

I highly doubt he will tweet ours. :obviously:

He won't. No matter if he enjoys it or not (probably the latter), the last thing he needs at the moment is any association with RPG Codex. ;)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Cleve has threatened to sue several times, and there was that guy with the beautiful drawing of a minotaur smelling a rose that someone so callously posted without asking his permission first.

Wasn't also some dude from team Gizka that threatened to sue, or was it some butthurt dude from the "RPGCodex is a cesspool" thread ? Can't remember.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Codex, I am impressed. This place keeps growing more prestigious and untainted from mass media by the day. :obviously:

Now if only GD wasn't the cesspool that it is we could be getting all those publisher bribes!!!

empi

Augur
Articles like this are what balances out GD and preserves the codex spotless reputation as a :monocle: site

:bro:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Codex, I am impressed. This place keeps growing more prestigious and untainted from mass media by the day. :obviously:

Now if only GD wasn't the cesspool that it is we could be getting all those publisher bribes!!!

Haha. This is the genius of General Discussion.

It functions as the Codex Immune System, inoculating us from publisher influence.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
BTW, the article could certainly use some editing, (smaller paragraphs definitely) and I wouldn't mind a picture with that guy selling HALO doritos :lol:

But all and all for a first try it's absolutely fine and a satisfying read.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not too late to edit it. It seems lots of people are going to be reading it, would be worth the effort.

Then again, Codex does not scale to your level.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
O sure, so we can be accused of removing shit and editing so as not to hurt people's feelings.
Fuck that. Article is awesome. Article stays.

Fezzik

Cipher
Excellent work, grotsnik. Well-written, well-researched, well-endowed.

Apart from a sentence or two, the long sentences were fine, by the way -- it flowed like Tristram Shandy.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
grotsnik fighting the good fight with his whole-paragraph sentences, making the prestigious magazine even more prestigious. A bit more journalism like this, and Bee will start receiving invitations to PR sponsored dinners in five star hotels.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
It's not too late to edit it. It seems lots of people are going to be reading it, would be worth the effort.

Then again, Codex does not scale to your level.

Nah, just food for thought for the next articles... which I hope will appear at least twice in a blue moon.

Did I mention I registered on RPGCodex because I read a couple of well written articles from around 2006-2007 ? Intelligent, funny and to the point, they really made me think the people here were serious, smart and humorous gentlemen. I wasn't completely wrong, but boy was I in for a surprise :lol:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If you guys want grotsnik's articles edited next time, and I hope there is a next time, then someone other than me's gotta do it. Because, like I said, I find grotsnik's style pretty easy (and exciting) to read, and am surprised anyone should have any trouble reading it.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
If you guys want grotsnik's articles edited next time, and I hope there is a next time, then someone other than me's gotta do it. Because, like I said, I find grotsnik's style pretty easy (and exciting) to read, and am surprised anyone should have any trouble reading it.

They haven't apparently read my Wall of Texts from PE forums :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom