Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Editorial: Games Journalism Scandal

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:lol:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm glad you guys enjoyed it - the funny thing is, apart from a few cheap digs, I didn't think it was that vitriolic.

You have a tendency for too long sentences, makes it a bit hard to read.

:oops: No, I know, I know. It's a frequent bad habit.

I couldn't stop reading this once I got started. Bravo, sir. I see articles like this all the time in regards to government financial regulations, celebrity reporting and so on. But this is the best article I have ever read in regards to the same types of corruption in game journalism. Once again, fantastic effin job.

:bravo:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Also from the ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTEEN PAGE thread from neoGAF, (yesterday IIRC) the Professional Gaming Journalist Editor™ for Kotaku alluded to possibly doing a write up about this incident (after many posters there basically were calling him out on his bullshit). But it would probably just be another stonewalling piece.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
That wasn't a very easy read. I mean, it was well-researched and indepth, but the run-on sentences and weird formatting made it a bit of a headache. Just providing some constructive feedback here, it was a good piece anyway, salute to grotsnik and all that.

Seems like game journalists are mostly effectively stonewalling this to death, though to be fair a bunch of sites picked up the story (including, for example, PA Report). Lauren Wainwright is still not fired, apparently, which is just baffling to me. Even if it's just as a sacrificial lamb I don't see how you can have her keep writing reviews now, with a straight face.

Not sure what's with Rab and Walker suddenly trying to say it's all about PR. That's weaksauce. It's journalists, and it's also consumers, and it's PR. PR tries to manipulate and coerce. Consumers actually bash journalists who are honest and harsh. Journalists are stuck between a rock and a hard place and decide integrity is not as important as doing your hobby as your job. Everyone is losing there. It's just us guys on the niche who write for people interested in honest opinions and who don't care about publisher pressure that can have integrity about it. I'd never want to write for a mainstream media site, though, as a paid fulltime job. Seems like an awful, shitty job to me.

If the consumer expectations were to change, maybe journalists would be force to, and then PR would be. Right now we're just stuck in a vicious cycle though, and game journalists can afford to be arrogant and insular about this shit, and just ignore it until it goes away.

PS: oh, that Square Enix buddy grotsnik mentions in the story? She works for Bethesda now. So expect Wainwright to suddenly become super-enthused about Bethesda titles.

Oh crud, I posted about this article on the Bethesda Community thread. Perhaps they won't take offense to one of their employees being involved in negative press. :hearnoevil:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Thanks for the excellent article, which by links embedded led me to many other articles, painting a pretty vulgar picture. In a sense, the gaming industry has never been held to any standards, because after all, it's only games. I just don't think anything will come of this.

Games are fun and the reviews can be also. I don't mind reading a bit of fluff, and it's easy for some in the industry to not see a problem. I have a huge issue with folks lining their pockets by deceiving people. Ah, these "journalists" aren't doing anything more than reporting what they are told to report. Their ability to do that is what got them the job and keeps them employed.

They don't see a problem because they are doing the same as everyone else, and it's not going to change. There is no financial incentive to tell the truth. That's the part that really kills me....

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Great article :salute:
I'd add only one thing: Sure, gaming journalism is a horrible parody of any kind of "real" journalism, but there is also another problem - the consumers. The majority of today's gaming audience wants to be deceived, they want to swallow all that marketing bullshit, they want that 90+ metacritic scores for the newest installment of their favourite game franchise. And for some reason incomprehensible to any rational human being, those X-box kiddies and dorrito-addicted manchildren actually get offended if their favourite games recieve a score below the magical 90 point mark. These people do not behave like rational consumers who have their own best interest at heart. Instead, they display a level of emotional investment and attachment to commercial products that is propably unheart of in almost every other branch of business.

Putting it shortly, today's gaming audience gets exactly that kind of "journalism" they deserve and want, and nothing will change until the audience changes.

Gurkog

Erudite
Thanks for the excellent article, which by links embedded led me to many other articles, painting a pretty vulgar picture. In a sense, the gaming industry has never been held to any standards, because after all, it's only games. I just don't think anything will come of this.

Games are fun and the reviews can be also. I don't mind reading a bit of fluff, and it's easy for some in the industry to not see a problem. I have a huge issue with folks lining their pockets by deceiving people. Ah, these "journalists" aren't doing anything more than reporting what they are told to report. Their ability to do that is what got them the job and keeps them employed.

They don't see a problem because they are doing the same as everyone else, and it's not going to change. There is no financial incentive to tell the truth. That's the part that really kills me....

That is the same line of reasoning that lead to the financial crash of 2008. They gradually deregulated banks after the initial anti-trust restrictions put in place after the Great Depression and wonder why the economy goes to shit. Fucking politicians can't learn anything.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Oh crud, I posted about this article on the Bethesda Community thread. Perhaps they won't take offense to one of their employees being involved in negative press.

You can post Codex links on Bethesda forums? I thought you guys were blacklisted? Or did that change?

Shows how much mind I pay to the Bethesda forums. I haven't even visited them since they banned me, I think.

Gurkog

Erudite
Oh crud, I posted about this article on the Bethesda Community thread. Perhaps they won't take offense to one of their employees being involved in negative press.

You can post Codex links on Bethesda forums? I thought you guys were blacklisted? Or did that change?

Shows how much mind I pay to the Bethesda forums. I haven't even visited them since they banned me, I think.

Direct links are censored still.

LivingOne

Savant
Great article!:bro:
I admit I didn't even know about this latest scandal because I don't follow game press so thanks for making it so informative.:salute:

ironyuri

Lots of lurkers crawling out of the woodwork. Drog detector required.

Jaesun

Thread needs to be scanned for possible Drog activity, interceptors must be dispatched and the DROG-COM teams made ready.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
The article could use some pictures between paragraphs. And yes, long sentences and non-idented quotes make it hard to read.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom