Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline RPGs You Thought Were Good, But You Kinda Hate 'em

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Pool of Radiance, The Magic Candle, Ultima: Martian Dreams. And of course Ultima VII.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
BG2 after playing IWD for the first time.

Just shut the fuck up already. I just want to walk down the street. You're not even close to being written well enough to justify such verbosity.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Planescape Torment - no doubt this is a classic in terms of narrative achievements, but oh my God going pack to this a few years ago was a pain: little to no-player choice on character development, sluggish boring combat and absolute railroading made me put this one back in the drawer
Deux ex - I know this is 'best gaem evah" fo alot of hobos...and yes, some aspects makes and stand out and be "better than the sum of its parts" such as the setting and story. Yet, if you pick these parts apart you quickly see that combat feels flat and inconsequentional (shooting a mofo lacks 'ooomph") , stealth feels random and tacked-on and the good story is (yet again) linked to a fair bit of rail-roading and lack of player choice. Dont believe me?
Jagged Alliance 2 - I really want to like this game....it's just...well, too simulation'y and complex. I dont think it's very fun to play :(
System Shock 2 - a classic, I know. Somehow I ended up playing the first one more, though. Gosh SS1 was a wonderful game...
BG2 - Hated teh setting (dont fucking want to fight the protagonist several times!) and the scripted moments. Too schizo about whether it's OK for me to make my own party or not
Diablo 2 - such a step down from 1 in terms of pure ambiance and interesting setting. Besides Act 1, all the acts were boring as fuck. OK, I've played it a bunch and totally fanboy'd out when it came...but looking back, waht the fuck's all the fuzz about?

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
To be fair there is QUITE a large number of shit games or simply non excellent games that do not deserve to be anywhere near their positions on the top 101 list, and people citing it as some form of argument for a claim can be easily disregarded because they don't understand that despite the codex being one of the only bastions of monacled taste on the internet, we have a large number of casuals and retards like any other community, who are capable of voting in these polls. No matter where you are, the lowest common demoninator ALWAYS wins in the end. They put popamole all over the top 101 as a way to mark their territory and remind us who the real target audience of video games has become ever since they co-opted the entire industry from us.

Ensi

Educated
I'm replaying PS:T right now and the writing is decent, but nowhere near the AMAZING LITERATURE I remembered. And yeah, combat sucks.

Still an important game in the history of RPGs though.

hexer

Any CDPR game so far.
Geralt and the gameplay never clicked with me.

Both Fallouts. I don't hate them, but somehow they just never "clicked" for me. While I can see how and why they are good games, I've tried playing them several times over the years, and somehow neither the story/setting, nor gameplay has ever managed to pull me in.

nqh0CxC.jpg

Funposter

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2. Loved in the first time around, went to play it again and found myself frustrated by various tiny things and the main BIG thing of the armour system and all battles after Level 4 turning into necrofire clusterfucks. I bet it's loads of fun playing co-op on babby (journo) difficulty, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom