Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

SaGa Series Discussion - SaGa Scarlet Grace: Ambitions now released on PC

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Jinn, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Grampy_Bone Magister

Grampy_Bone
    Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
    How the hell do you beat any of these fights? I go into the castle, dead in two rounds, Temple, dead in 2 rounds, Tower, dead in 3 rounds (with 2 more fights). WTFFFFFF. This is without any chance to level up or anything so this is just me dealing with what the game has given me. Holy hell, none of the saga games were ever this unforgiving.

^ Top  
  2. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    It depends on where they are in the in the initiative line-up. If the enemy you kill is surrounded by its fellows, they unite. You have to focus on the ones that aren't surrounded if you're going for the kill. And ideally, they will be isolated and surrounded by your own party members, so you can get a combo. Same goes for you, not just the enemies. It's not a stupid mechanic, you just need to learn how it works.

Again, it sounds like you're approaching battles much like how you would in a classic SaGa game. Every battle normal difficulty and up has the intensity of a mini-boss or boss fight, and you need to utilize every trick you have. I'd suggest reading the ingame help book. There is a lot of useful information in there. As it stands now, it sounds like you're just continually banging your head against the wall. If you have a good grasp of the mechanics, it shouldn't be that difficult, particularly in the beginning.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    ^ Top  
  3. Grampy_Bone Magister

Grampy_Bone
    I don't have any tricks, it's the beginning of the game. This should be tutorial zone, not every fight is a boss battle. It seems like this character is ultra hard on a first playthrough, need Techs to carry over. As of now I barely have any moves worth using, nothing is effective.

-There's no way for me to reliably disable or prevent a big attack. Interrupts don't actually prevent the attack they interrupt so they're no help. Everyone is super wimpy (even with one weapon upgrade for most of the team) I can't kill a single enemy in a turn.

-Burning down one guy to trigger a unite attack works but it's random, plus reducing enemy count barely helps because the rest just get more BP to spam their strongest moves

-Can't buy stronger weapons (need crystals)

-Can't recover LP, everyone is around 2-3

Unless there is one weapon type that can reliably knock out or prevent enemies from spamming poision mist every round or rain of arrows or whatever, these fights are just ridiculous. You can't tell me this temple fight with Urpina's mom is even possible.

^ Top  
  4. Shackleton Arbiter Patron

Shackleton
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
    Don't you have Nessa with Mesmerize? She pretty much carried through me through Urpina's route on any fight that wasn't undead. The Scout role so she usually gets to go before the enemy, mezz most dangerous and win. I found I couldn't do 'Hard' fights in the beginning as Urpina, but everything else was possible using a combination of mezz and unite attacks.

^ Top  
  5. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    The tips section in the game can be very helpful. They might not tell you much when you play, but that actual section is very helpful.

^ Top  
  6. Grampy_Bone Magister

Grampy_Bone
    No she has Lightspeed and Matador.

Well I remembered that there was a combat difficulty slider so I bitched out and put it on easy. I'm too much of a wimp for this game.

^ Top  
  7. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    The difficulty slider only affects how fast enemies will scale which isn't an issue once you understand how the system works. It wont help make the fights easier and it only will harm you for the final encounter as the final boss scales on a different metric. Slower scaling enemies = less stats = harder final boss. The extreme difficulty of the early game is just something you have to deal with. I thought beating the game once would help as I'd know more about the mechanics, but it didn't, much. Even on my 2nd play I was still getting my ass bent until I had better gear and more skills on my characters. That's just the nature of how the game is.

^ Top  
  8. Grampy_Bone Magister

Grampy_Bone
    Is there any guide to unlocking roles or should I just rotate all weapons across characters?

Any specific way to teach Solon poison mist?

^ Top  
  9. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    http://thaao.net/sagasca/character/?p=role

Don't overthink roles, imo. I haven't unlocked that many. Maybe two or three per character.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Ialda Literate

Ialda
    The bonus you get from your roles are generally minor so yeah, get the ones that seems to fit with the tech list/skills of your characters and stop there - keep in mind trying to farm techs from weapons your character has zero skill may be a timesink / counterproductive.

^ Top  
  11. Grampy_Bone Magister

Grampy_Bone
    Made it through Hibernia, had to grind past the lizard boss but at least I could grind. Game is much better now. Geez even SMT nocturne lets you grind in the hospital. Saga games were always about strategic leveling, not no grinding ever.

^ Top  
  12. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Jasede
    I think I'm going to get this on my phone...

^ Top  
  13. Grampy_Bone Magister

Grampy_Bone
    Hmm, chase after some dude who I guess is my brother, or
    learn... :dance:Dual motherfucking Wielding:dance:

:evilcodex:

That's not even a choice.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Grampy_Bone Magister

Grampy_Bone
    So I beat Urpina chapter 1, what is the difference in the paths in chapter 2? Is there one specific boss that makes more sense to go after?

^ Top  
  15. Grampy_Bone Magister

Grampy_Bone
    Game went from really hard to kinda easy and tedious. Most fights aren't a challenge, hard fights are usually hard because of bad luck.

I'm only partway through chapter 2, I've maxed the blacksmith, and there are no more upgrades for my guys. Everyone has all their techs, even my mage is maxed out. And there are still like 12 more Seigfrey quests to do. This is usually where I just rush for the end but I still feel like I'm missing a lot of content.

One funny thing happened--I beat a Scarlet Fiend boss and it immediately respawned as a harder version. The game just flat out said, "Don't even bother trying to fight this." Turned out it was three of the fiends together. Okay then.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)