Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, how have Pathfinder and Pillars 2 shaped up?

Ladonna

Arcane
Hello all,

I put off buying these two games due to the first being reportedly a bugfest, and the second being a snorefest. Since then I have seen that countless patches have been implemented, and a turn based modification applied to the second game.

So, what are your thoughts on these two games as of today? Still needs more time in the oven? Turn based cannot keep you awake?

deama

Prophet
Pathfinder has a turn based mod now, though a bit finniky.

Overall It's kinda hard to say for me, for some reason I haven't been able to finish any of the new generation CRPGs whereas I had no problem with the older ones, in fact, I finished baldur's gate shadows of armn 3 times, whilst throne of bhaal once (though only finished BG1 once). I think the newer ones try to be too long, or maybe pad it out too much. Anyway, I overall enjoyed pathfinder as the ruleset I like more than POE2's and it isn't as balanced so it's basically less annoying.
Both games though aren't optimised how well I'd like them to be, pathfinder still loads too slowly, and POE2 makes my GPU fans go all jet-like.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Just finished my 2nd playthrough of deadfire, this time with dlcs, so it's very fresh :
- terrible performance on a good rig, it gets borderline unacceptable towards the end (screen stutters freezes for a good 2-5s whenever a 3d model appear or disappears so in high level fights it's a slideshow)
- another point for the terrible performance, I just can't fucking believe it and it's a major major argument not to buy this game
- content still spread too wide too thin in the base game (there was no saving that)
- high level content saved by dlcs, which are all tuned for high level parties, bringing the high level experience in deadfire to ~1/3 of the game (noice)
- building a character feels just right, more class kits were released
- god's challenges add more custom rules to the game, which was already quite modular
- the forgotten sanctum is the only dlc that I'd recommend (Beast of winter if you like dragons, snow and poe's deep lore®)
- Now in turn-based mode (if you want a 50hours playthrough turned into a 150hours playthrough for no actual benefit but "ClArItY" in combat)
PS : - Excellent AI. Enemies capable of doing so will daze your frontline and jump on your backline regularly at higher levels. Combat would feel good if, you know, it wasn't a fucking slideshow.

If it wasn't for the performance, deadfire would have been a candidate for yearly playthroughs. The replayability is very good, the customisation of rules/parties helps a lot.

Never played pathfinder, I'll leave it to my brothers from another mother here to fill you in.

Last edited:

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
As far as I'm aware both games are as patched as they are going to be and are perfectly playable albeit your milage may vary.

I think both are worthy of a playthrough but neither is a masterpiece.

I'm excited to see where both these franchises go but I'm more optimistic about Owlcat than Obsidian. If they give the directing chair to someone who actually is excited about designing an Infinity engine style game and appointed a good lead writer i think Obsidian have the tools to make a truly great game but it seems unlikely. Given the quality of FS i hope they'll give a junior team a smaller scale sequel. Sawyer is probably a good project manager but he never really wanted to make these games as far as I'm aware and it kind of shows.

Pillars 2, fantastic game overall, and the best implementation of RTwP combat i've ever seen. Don't know about Pahtfinder because the game has terrible optimization issues apparently my gtx 1080 and higher-end i7 are not good enough to run the game.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Kingmaker is currently better as long as you like making overpowered characters and throwing them against overtuned content. AI is atrocious though.

PoE 2 is pretty - and is worth a playthrough.

Just finished my 2nd playthrough of deadfire, this time with dlcs, so it's very fresh :
- terrible performance on a good rig, it gets borderline unacceptable towards the end (screen stutters freezes for a good 2-5s whenever a 3d model appear or disappears so in high level fights it's a slideshow)
- another point for the terrible performance, I just can't fucking believe it and it's a major major argument not to buy this game
- content still spread too wide too thin in the base game (there was no saving that)
- high level content saved by dlcs, which are all tuned for high level parties, bringing the high level experience in deadfire to ~1/3 of the game (noice)
- building a character feels just right, more class kits were released
- god's challenges add more custom rules to the game, which was already quite modular
- the forgotten sanctum is the only dlc that I'd recommend (Beast of winter if you like dragons, snow and poe's deep lore®)
- Now in turn-based mode (if you want a 50hours playthrough turned into a 150hours playthrough for no actual benefit but "ClArItY" in combat)

If it wasn't for the performance, deadfire would have been a candidate for yearly playthroughs. The replayability is very good, the customisation of rules/parties helps a lot.

Never played pathfinder, I'll leave it to my brothers from another mother here to fill you in.
AFAIK you can easily fix Deadfire's stuttering by 1) disabling fake-fullscreen optimization on Win10 and run with real exclusive full screen and 2) OPTIONALLY setting a scheduled task to clear memory cache. Really it worked perfectly for me. I'm telling you this because it bothered me so much, and now i 100% agree that the game is worth playing yearly.

In contrast i could never find a solution for PFKM's stuttering.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
AFAIK you can easily fix Deadfire's stuttering by 1) disabling fake-fullscreen optimization on Win10 and run with real exclusive full screen and 2) OPTIONALLY setting a scheduled task to clear memory cache. Really it worked perfectly for me. I'm telling you this because it bothered me so much, and now i 100% that the game is worth playing yearly.
:updatedmytxt:
If that works, you're hired.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
AFAIK you can easily fix Deadfire's stuttering by 1) disabling fake-fullscreen optimization on Win10 and run with real exclusive full screen and 2) OPTIONALLY setting a scheduled task to clear memory cache. Really it worked perfectly for me. I'm telling you this because it bothered me so much, and now i 100% that the game is worth playing yearly.
:updatedmytxt:
If that works, you're hired.
Also very important: Disable the telemetry thing in the options. It improves stuttering too in my personal experience.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Both are good RPGs now. Deadfire has pretty good encounter design and a unique setting while Pathfinder nearly as much content as the Baldurs Gate Age trilogy while being a lot more complex. Personally, I prefered Pathfinder because of the character system. I don't know a single reason not to play through both. Especially since there won't be a lot of old school CRPG in 2020

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
I'll check & confirm it to you at home but the main stuff goes something like
i5 3.2ghz
8gb ram
gtx 1060

ps : thx for the help

Last edited:
But at present is it better to play PoE2 with TB or RTwP?
RTwP. I sound like a broken record at this point, but the RTwP in PoE 2 is the BEST implementation of the system in any CRPG i have ever played, while the TB mode is a tacked on, imbalanced affair. Even if you are someone who hates RTwP, give it a whirl. Investigate the system and give it a chance and i guarantee it will impress you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom