Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Starflight 3 - upcoming sequel from original developer

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by TZ3K, Jul 17, 2018.

1. TZ3K Arcane

TZ3K
    The crowdsourcing campaign just turned up as a preview on Fig: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/starflight-3

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    :literallyshaking:

I love Starflight! I hope that "creative direction" means something hands-on and not honorary.

On a less serious note, my thoughts:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Sordid MCA/Prosper Hybryd Arcane Patron

Sordid MCA/Prosper Hybryd
    Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Starflight and its sequel were some of the greatest RPGs. And, perhaps, the two greatest Sci-Fi RPGs ever. Not sure how I feel about this figstarter. TBH this trailer does not feel like Starflight. Also, the subtitle 'Universe' is kinda worrisome. I have a feeling that it is going to be MMO and game as a service.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    ^ Top  
  4. Grauken Arcane Patron

Grauken
    This can only end in disappointment, although I would like to be proven wrong

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. ColCol Arcane

ColCol
    Not really excited, how would this differ from any space themed rpg, like for example...Star Trader Frontiers.

^ Top  
  6. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    oasis789 To be honest, that kind of weird nosedive path is pretty common for the early generation of designers.

ColCol Starflight had a more narrative and exploratory focus rather than being based on Taipan!-style trading loops.

I just remembered that they did a February 2015 Kickstarter for a Toejam and Earl game. November 2015 projected release date. Last update from today, announcing an extended beta and Starflight 3! "Fall 2018" release date. Since that's much less behind schedule than Fallen Gods, I will certainly not pooh pooh, but it does seem like, if it takes you an extra three years to make Toejam and Earl, it may take an extra while to make Starflight.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

lol, I guess they don't mind people seeing the link then?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Nano Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Nano
    Ugh. Sick of these nostalgia fundraisers.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Fig campaign is officially live now.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    I like the videos and I loved Starflight, but I would not have called it "a game about stories" or a "novel" -- what is this, Where the Water Tastes Like Spemin?

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  11. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    or is it?

Now on kickstarter fiq!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. LordofSyn Learned

LordofSyn
    Hell yeah! Please let this be real.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

^ Top  
  13. Roqua Prospernaut Dumbfuck In My Safe Space

Roqua
    Thanks for the post. I somehow missed Starflight 1 and 2, and I don't remember ever hearing about them until I saw news about this fig the other day.

Anyone that has played them recommend them for play today? I understand the difference between being a good game for its time and still being a good game.

Also, I will invest in this fig. We were just whining in another thread about how rare sci-fi rpgs are. I can't whine about the lack of something and then not fund that something when I get the chance.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Absolutely recommended. Play the amiga versions. But don't expect character leveling. It's not there. You just buy better skill levels with money. But exploration and how the story unfolds is simple great!

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  15. Irata Educated

Irata
    Wow. This pretty much completes the games I was hoping to see from the Kickstarter nostalgia craze. Too bad most of them were disappointing, but hey...

I haven't backed a game in a long time, but I've told myself this is one of the few games I'd still pay for.

"If Starflight didn't exist, Gearbox wouldn't exist, that means Borderlands wouldn't exist.
    Randy Pitchford, President and CEO of Gearbox Software"

As much I enjoyed Starflight, that is a trade I'd make for the good of mankind.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Tiospo Novice

Tiospo
    What's really interesting is that it appears to involve original SF1&2 lead designer Greg Johnson!!

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    https://www.fig.co/campaigns/starflight-3/updates/786

^ Top  
  18. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    https://www.fig.co/campaigns/starflight-3/updates/789

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Not much of an interview: https://www.pcgamer.com/starflight-3-aims-for-classic-sci-fi-storytelling-in-a-new-part-of-space/

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron

• cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    • Absolutely Haram Absolutely Haram x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Roscoe Scaggs Novice

Roscoe Scaggs
    I for one will play the fuck out of this, I don't care how much soyboy sex-predator semen is on it.

^ Top  
  22. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    https://www.fig.co/campaigns/starflight-3/updates/791

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    Still little over 230k of $800k with only 18 days to go.
    This won't be funded.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Irata Educated

Irata
    Too bad. The original games are probably too old to appeal to most of the people who make up the nostalgic audience.
    I don't get why they think fans of (the hackneyed crook) Pitchford would support a game that is nothing like the games he makes though. I guess it gets headlines, but it doesn't look like he has that much influence with his audience.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    They don't really have a lot to say about this game.

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/starflight-3/updates/793

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/starflight-3/updates/798

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)