Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Plus the game has without a doubt the best savegame import in any video game ever! It's insane how Bioware actually wrote dialogue just for the one idiot who chose to do the dark ritual with Loghain, while CDPR couldn't be bothered to tell us what happened to Saskia from The Witcher 2. I still don't understand why no one cares that events from the last two Witcher games were brought up again.

This is a good point, for all their flaws Bioware are very good at acknowledging savegames. Even though it was very minor and had basically no impact on the game, the Conrad interaction in ME3 where he acknowledges all your fetch quests from ME1&2 is fun to see.
TW3 definitely lacked in that regard, I didn't notice it as much since my save import was from a Roche playthrough but after doing some reading about it they did drop the ball on that.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Those only matter if they actually meaningfully impact gameplay, but combat is so trash in DA:I that it really doesn't matter.
It's got pretty shit itemization too (but better than TW3), the only item I remember that stood out at all was the magic greatsword lightsaber thing you could build for a Knight-Enchanter, that was pretty cool.

Eh... I'm not gonna pretend Inquisition combat is great, but I like it more than TW3 because it has more "RPG-ness" to it, for lack of a better word. I've built my mage from numerous skill trees and crafting buffs to do things like light enemies on fire and panicking them while a passive adds damage from other sources to panicked enemies, then using a horror spell to keep their panic going. Trapping enemies in a lightning cage to keep them contained, then spamming them with AoE attacks. It's simple shit of course compared to a good RtwP game, but it's much more up my alley than the rather pure hack n' slash action combat of TW3.

Yosharian

Arcane
Those only matter if they actually meaningfully impact gameplay, but combat is so trash in DA:I that it really doesn't matter.
It's got pretty shit itemization too (but better than TW3), the only item I remember that stood out at all was the magic greatsword lightsaber thing you could build for a Knight-Enchanter, that was pretty cool.

Eh... I'm not gonna pretend Inquisition combat is great.
The real question is are we gonna pretend like anything at all in Inquisition is great

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
The real question is are we gonna pretend like anything at all in Inquisition is great
Are you going to sit there and tell me with a straight face that any part of Witcher 3 gameplay is good? Nothing was balanced, nothing worked, game was filled with exploits and the game is insultingly pandering. While I can agree Inquisition had it's share of nonsense like the collectible garbage & side quests, as a game it's waay more well put together. You had to actively work to break the game and even breaking the game is rewarding because the systems are well put together. Itemization works, combat works, crafting works. The gameplay in Dragon functions and is even fun. Hardly any of that can be said for the Witcher 3.

People like you are the reason Witcher 3 is above fckn Gothic! in top rpg list. :argh:

And the main story wise I still stand Inquisition has a better one even though it requires the DLC to get there.

The only difference between Witcher 3's and DA:I's combat is for how long you have to hold the left-click.

JE3n.gif

Jt7K.gif

Couple of spells to make you feel like you are doing something, but its just a braindead spam in both game's.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
This is a good point, for all their flaws Bioware are very good at acknowledging savegames. Even though it was very minor and had basically no impact on the game, the Conrad interaction in ME3 where he acknowledges all your fetch quests from ME1&2 is fun to see.
TW3 definitely lacked in that regard, I didn't notice it as much since my save import was from a Roche playthrough but after doing some reading about it they did drop the ball on that.

I agree. IIRC, it was because a very important multiquest, which should've played thorugh Velen and Novigrad and feature Roche and Iorveth, was scrapped very late in development. It's also why the pacing in the Novigrad section of the game was all over the place.

https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/co...tantly_circlejerks_the_witcher_3_but/e5cc45s/

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
you mean like actual RPG elements such as character builds or itemization?

A typical retard_shitford, leading with a question that proves him wrong. Retardation of this scale is weapons grade.

I know it's not a popular opinion but out of all the RPG with saving the world stories, I thought Inquisition had one of the better ones.

Even the mainstream fags who pretended to like DAI, conceded that the story was actually quite bad. It also doesn't make a lick of sense. Written by Gaider, so yeah, other elements needed attention than the story, such as the alphabet people, inclusivity and safe spaces.

I played through it and I have to concur, the story doesn't make much sense and is paper thin. It's mostly about busywork, building the "inquisition", which amounts to nothing and the plot with the nature of the Veil and the big bad guy, eh... it's certainly there in the last chapter. That's about it.

DAI was a major corporate misfire and everything that ME Andromeda was criticized for, applies to DAI. It was an SJW love letter, a postmodernist, corporate claptrap and it had no RPG depth. Just press the awesome button and you will win. Skills are so ablist, so no skill required.

That's probably why retard-shitbrains seems to like it.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I am finding the combat in this much more "okay" than I did the first time I played, and I wondered if it's because I am playing a mage. So I did the tutorial again as a dual-wield rogue (what I played the first time) and holy shit... melee in this is just fucking awful. Not only do you have to hold the button to attack, but it roots you in place while enemies move around a ton. Transitioning from attacking to moving is a clunky as hell process, so you're constantly flanking enemies, whacking a couple times, then they move and you keep whacking thin air until the animations stop and you can reposition. Also the auto-target is all over the fucking place, so you have to pause and target the guy in front of you half the time. It's fucking horrible. If you only played the game as a melee class, you probably hated it way more than you had to.

As a mage standing in the back doing battle management and AoE targeting, the game is ten times better. I'd guess an archer is okay too, though lack of battle management aspects probably make it more boring.

Scarlet Lilith

Learned
The biggest problem Inquisition has is that it it tries to be an RPG instead of an action-RPG, if the combat was good instead of the MMO crap it has then the game would have gotten a much better reception. I mean, it was obvious that this is where they were going anyway, with the perspective default being changed from top down to a regular third person view and everything. It's funny, because while the Mass Effect series got better and better combat as it went on and came to terms with being a popamole shooter with talky bits the Dragon Age series got worse, never quite taking the step towards the action it wanted to, but not being tactical or in-depth enough to make it worthwhile. Instead it got stuck in the button-awesome territory. Meanwhile the writers on the teams did the opposite, the Dragon Age team getting less generic and the Mass Effect games being written with less and less nuance and intricacy by hackfrauds.

Trying to revive Baldur's Gate was probably a mistake in the first place, it just doesn't belong on consoles and they were never going to reach the same heights without the D&D license.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
So, nigs. 200 pages +, a "renewal", the transmutation of all values ; is it time to consider Inquisition as the new best game for the truly evolved, refined tastes? Or at least an "okay game" - this is the first step, and then... you can't stop progress, asshole

bat_boro

Arcane
I just finished blood and wine a couple of days ago sith 47 unspent skill points on blood and broken bones, after beating the OC and heart of stone. Witcher 3 rpg system is a laughing stock, I always knew it was a minor thing but I had no idea to what extent that was true

jackofshadows

Magister
I am finding the combat in this much more "okay" than I did the first time I played, and I wondered if it's because I am playing a mage. So I did the tutorial again as a dual-wield rogue (what I played the first time) and holy shit... melee in this is just fucking awful. Not only do you have to hold the button to attack, but it roots you in place while enemies move around a ton. Transitioning from attacking to moving is a clunky as hell process, so you're constantly flanking enemies, whacking a couple times, then they move and you keep whacking thin air until the animations stop and you can reposition. Also the auto-target is all over the fucking place, so you have to pause and target the guy in front of you half the time. It's fucking horrible. If you only played the game as a melee class, you probably hated it way more than you had to.
It was perfectly fine for me (due to some MMO experience I guess) but I get what you're saying. No idea why you've suffered first time though, friend of mine had very similiar issue with melee class, switched to archer almost right away and completed the game w/o breaking a sweat.

What pissed me off though is a 'tacticool' camera. Fucking hell, it's even painfull to recall one more time. At some point I was aiming to slaughter every major dragon on nightmare but eventually I gave up because basically you NEED a proper camera for thouse encounters and not that pathetic useless foot-level zoomed as fuck piece of shit. Devs clearly didn't gave a two fucks about it to the point where I don't know why they even bothered to introduce such a feature. For luring clueless RPG-fags like me into a trap I guess.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Whole thing plays as ok-ish, if very repetitive, action-rpg on gamepad. PC controls are so retarded that I have no idea why anyone would inflict "Hold LK to attack" on himself. (and inflicting Inquisition on myself is beside the point here).

And tacticool camera and party AI suck so much, that it often easier to deal with challenging fights solo, after companions are knocked out or even kick them out entirely to avoid them wasting the healing potions. This is from my experience on Nightmare with mage, but I think all classes have a build to pull it off.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Whole thing plays as ok-ish, if very repetitive, action-rpg on gamepad. PC controls are so retarded that I have no idea why anyone would inflict "Hold LK to attack" on himself. (and inflicting Inquisition on myself is beside the point here).

Do you mash buttons to strike on gamepad instead? I don't think it would make much difference since the issues aren't focused on holding or mashing, but on how the animations and targeting work. Unless the game is entirely reworked on a pad, which I doubt.

Anyway I do agree you need to play it without much direction for companions or "tactical camera." With Dragon Age 2 hard mode and up demanded you control their actions and such to a degree, and I disagree with people who say you can ignore companions on those difficulties, but this one requires little of that even on hard. It's more like Mass Effect where you focus on your guy and only tell them what to do in dire situations ("taunt this guy you motherfucker!"). I think a lot of people hate this attempt to combine "tactical" Origins style combat with button mashy action combat. The game is trying to be a hybrid which results in doing neither well, and I understand that. However I think the hybrid works much better as a mage, as it leans toward feeling more 3D RtwP as you line up AoE attacks, add buffs and debuffs, all while staying far away from the front line and the more melee focused clusterfuck.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Mages feel the best to play controls-wise, but DAI still nerfed them way too harshly. This mod is basically a requirement AFAIC.

Codex Year of the Donut

As a mage standing in the back doing battle management and AoE targeting, the game is ten times better. I'd guess an archer is okay too, though lack of battle management aspects probably make it more boring.
https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/mods/1498/

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Do you mash buttons to strike on gamepad instead? I don't think it would make much difference since the issues aren't focused on holding or mashing, but on how the animations and targeting work. Unless the game is entirely reworked on a pad, which I doubt.
There is no button mushing - right trigger is default bind to auto attack like in many action games and up to 8 skills are bound to XYAB (+ Left Trigger), maybe even more is possible. Iiirc gamepad limitation is the only reason why you can have only 8 skills on panel anyway, even with PC controls.

It was pretty fluid and I do not remember any targeting issues. I also vaguely remember moving + range attack was much easier on gamepad, but it was long ago, I could be wrong here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom