Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Rise of THQ Nordic - buying up all the IPs

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Infinitron, Aug 12, 2016.

1. BlackAdderBG Arcane Patron

BlackAdderBG
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    How about you show gaming cases where that worked first. Only thing I can think of in recent years is Ubisoft and Square Enix and that didn't work at all- zero hits.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    That's actually a really good business strategy if they're not looking to make THE blockbuster game making BILLIONS, but many well-selling games making a good profit and maybe develop larger franchises.

You won't have your own Grand Theft Auto or Call of Duty, but one successful game selling 2-3 million copies could make some good money and subvention another 10-20 projects. You don't run into the trap that makes you invest anywhere from $100-250 million into a single game, see it fail and drive your company bankrupt because selling 4-5 million copies apparently still ain't enough: https://www.dsogaming.com/news/dead...on-copies-still-wasnt-enough-electronic-arts/

You budget various games at KickStarter development price of $5-10 million or slightly above depending on how promising something is and how trustworthy the developer is and you can create (very) profitable AA games like Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Jurassic World Evolution, ELEX, Frostpunk or similar.

Since someone brought up UbiSoft:
    This is Fake News, they had a lot of smaller games and experimental projects that developed into franchises, even Assassin's Creed started out that way, but I think you're forgetting all the Tom Clancy stuff, Rayman, Rabbids, Just Dance or even Prince of Persia/Anno and all the Nintendo stuff they released like "Imagine", "My Coach" or "Petz".

It seems concerning though that they went on a buying spree without waiting for the results/fruits of their earlier acquisitions, and some of them seem kind of perplexing and more like IP hoarding. For instance, did they need to buy Outcast? Are they actually planning to develop a game in said franchise or was it some sort of strategic purchase? What makes them believe another game in it would be more successful than the Remake? Same thing with for instance Carmageddon or Timesplitters and... Goat Simulator?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. BlackAdderBG Arcane Patron

BlackAdderBG
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Assassin's Creed budget was 20 mil. and Tom Clancy,Anno and PoP games are not experimental lol.

^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Well remember that they're buying not just the rights to make new games with these IPs but also long tail revenue streams from selling the old games on Steam. That adds up.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Great Deceiver Arcane

Great Deceiver
    What do you mean, 'worked'? It's a principle. I'm not defending a practice, just describing how basic risk management functions.

Microsoft acquired a bunch of shit studios, the vast majority of which that led to nothing - among them, it bought the then-relatively unknown (at least to the unwashed console peasants who had never heard of Myth) Bungie in 2000, which made them a fortune and put them on the console hardware map, helping them debunk the previous leader (Sony) for en entire generation. Activision wasn't so lucky, but it hedged its bets on a reasonably sound investment at that point.

EA acquired a bunch of studios and killed off most of them by slave-driving their employess into producing shovelware, but among its many mistakes it also bought Bioware, Popcap games and Respawn Entertainment, the first of which are nearly dead but which made them billions of dollars in revenue over the years. Respawn made 2 good games that were commercial duds (Titanfall 1 and 2), but now they're king of the hill with the most played game in the world, Apex Legends. I believe it's a fad, but CEOs are laughing all the way to the bank.

It is unfortunate that good companies die off while being bought by speculators such as EA and Ubishit, but from a business perspective, it's all risk management.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. Sacred82 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Sacred82
    lol if you think the Western console market even constitutes a market in the big picture

there's no such thing as an "unvervalued IP". IP's are constituted of nothing but their established fanbase. Ideas are ten a penny, and a more recognizable IP only translates to potentially more people offended by it. IF an IP has made it big - for whatever reason in reality and for whatever reason you think that is - that's when you know you want to get it. Dying IP's that once had that mass appeal may seem like a bargain, but then some ripoff might serve just as well.

EA really cannot serve as an example of risk management :lol: If anything, EA has been too big since forever to actually run the risk of sinking more money than they could afford, among other, less savory business practices. If only a fraction of the stories of EA's project management that have surfaced over the years are true, those guys don't even qualify as ruthless business people. They're too retarded for that. They're the kind of "ruthless business people" who can be heard screaming "Money money! Reeeeeeeeee" *autistic screeching* when confronted with the actual development processes of their products.

If anything, and that goes for EA as well (making them seem slightly less retarded), acquiring a whole slew of IP's/ studios reeks strongly of sabotage. Those studios closing doors relatively quietly after a few years is actually what the whole deal was really about.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. BlackAdderBG Arcane Patron

BlackAdderBG
    This is not what THQ Nordic is doing. EA, Microsoft and all that gave the bought dev studios big budgets and were making AAA games from the get go. Most of them were not obscure studios, half of which don't even have a wiki page.

You said "billion IPs...you can get for relative peanuts...Eventually one of them will give you a hit"

I wanted example of that actually working in the gaming industry and that didn't happen 20 years ago.

Three years from now we will read about the bankruptcy of THQ Nordic is what I'm getting at.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Keeping in mind that demanding from a past example of that "working" (of course, people can always redefine what working means) is kind of pointless, digital distribution exploded a few years back for example, making a ton of games and trying to cram all those games on complex physical distribution pipelines would be a nightmare but digital is a game changer as you can pretty much release and forget alot of games at the same time, there are things like the ready made Engines made for dummies like Unity as well that made game development alot easier, no investor in the world would give millions of dollars for IP acquisition like people did for THQ Nordic if they didn't have a sound business plan.

You can't just go to investors and say "Please, gimme your money while my plan is only sunshine and roses full of overwhelming optimism.Pretty please?", it will be impossible to know as we don't have the numbers. If they are going to achieve it is another story. I think they seem to be happy occupying the AA space for now and that is good for us. Take Spell Force III, if they sold enough of fucking Spell Force to manage to make a standalone expansion, that game made its budget. Take what the CEO said, they don't recognize the differences between indie, AA and AAA, meaning that many of those 77 ips/projects are actually really low budget stuff on the indie space and they buying IPs like crazy like Infinitron said to milk legacy sales so how much of the ips they have are actually active?

I hope they are successful and know what they are doing, the world doesn't need yet another EA.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Latelistener Cipher

Latelistener
    They also established Grimlore Games, which made Spellforce 3. I heard the game has a good RPG part, so theoretically they could make a decent RPG in the future.

^ Top  
  10. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    Wasn't this just posted a few pages back?
    How can people earnestly talk about some sort of "impending bankruptcy" if by all metrics they seem to be doing more than fine, and they just released Metro: Exodus, Darksiders 3 and acquired Kingdom Come?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Besides Piranha Bytes acquisition, there is other news: https://news.cision.com/thq-nordic-...d-q5--operational-ebit-increased-217,c2822061

Metro Exodus performed "in line with expectations". Satisfactory exceeded expectations. 48 unannounced titles.

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Anthedon Arcane Patron

Anthedon
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    48 unannounced titles, Jesus Shovelware Christ.

• Funny Funny x 10
    • incline incline x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Sheep Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Sheep
    Wow

^ Top  
  14. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    For the amount of titles they're putting out it doesn't seem like they're making much money compared to similar publishers tbh

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    As long as they give me ELEX 2, they can have 99 shovelware titles.

• Yes x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • incline x 2
    • Balanced x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    THQ method of making games:
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

We only need one to have an incline baby guise.:lol:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    elex2, elex3... , elex100

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    From Nordic Games Who??? to THQ Shovelware in a short five years. I'm not convinced (yet).

^ Top  
  19. A_boring_GOG_bot Scholar

A_boring_GOG_bot
    One day this big THQ Nordic balloon will burst .

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Harry Easter Savant

Harry Easter
    Either that or their investors can use that somehow for taxcuts. It's weird how this stuff works :D.

^ Top  
  21. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Better than sinking all your money into something designed to appeal to everyone and their mother, then going out of business when it only sells okay.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    And one day everything is going to be dust. What's your point?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. HoboForEternity Watch over avatarless peasants Patron

HoboForEternity
    "just enjoy good games that came out of this while it last"

seems pretty good if they can do it for several years before, like the sun out of fuel began imploding and goes supernova.

^ Top  
  24. Terenty Learned

Terenty
    Does it mean Piranha Bytes will have bigger budget for Elex 2?

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. unfairlight ヽ(✿゚▽゚)ノ Patron

unfairlight
    Maybe. It's probably up to how their games sell, if they sell better than expected, expect larger budgets. If they flop, expect less. THQ Nordic has not yet really had a chance to show how scalable they are with projects and how high they are willing to go with budgets, but with so many projects in production we'll no doubt find out soon.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)