Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Ruinous Powers (40K CYOA)

lightbane

Arcane
AC. Murder them in their sleep while Lena uses her super-seduction skills to take over the rest.

Cheesecake

Savant
The votes are counted, but I'm holding off writing the update until later.

A: Endemic, lightbane, 2
B:
C:
D: Smashing Axe, Baltika9, ERYKFRAD, oscar, Nevill, hello friend, Azira, Storyfag, Kalin, 9
E:
F:

D. Attack the barracks - disable their comms, raid their armories, and cripple the defender's coherency.

A:
B: Endemic, oscar, hello friend, 3
C: Baltika9, (oscar), Nevill, (hello friend), lightbane, 3(5)
D: Smashing Axe, (Baltika9), ERYKFRAD, (oscar), Azira, Storyfag, Kalin, 5(7)
E:

D. Entice the ship's provosts to betray their Lord-Captain.

Cheesecake

Savant
((I'm gonna start writing in past tense, 'cause I think it looks better :p Tell me if you prefer present tense writing, though.))

Hooker stood on a crate, assuming her most commandeering pose. She yelled at the mutants in a guttural combat-cant, a soldier's language Hooker had devised during training to gentrify the savages, a step forward from brutes to soldiers. Her terse commands saw the mutants skillfully and stealthily out of the crevice and into the labyrinthine hallways of the cruiser. They moved as quiet as shadows, and it would have unnerved you had you been some lesser pawn of the Gods.

But you were no lesser pawn. Your body shivered, impatient for the impending fight, awaiting the thrill of pain and murder.

You and your crew followed soon after, being fashionably late for the slaughter. The mutants had made short work of the provosts and menials caught unawares, pulping and crushing them with brutal bludgeons and cruel clubs. There were survivors, per Hooker's command. A few you killed on a whim, but you managed to control yourself enough to leave a handful alive.

You gave their commander a soft smile; not your best, but enough for the fool to fall for you. "Hello, dear."

"He on Terra, who are you? What's happening?" he demanded, frantic like an cornered boar. "Where did these monsters come from?!"

You shook your head and clicked your tongue. "That's not a very nice thing to call them." A few who'd overheard bared their jagged teeth. "I think you owe them an apology. I think a real man should be sincere. I like those who are sincere."

His eyes couldn't escape yours, enraptured by the infinite possible pleasures he saw as he stared deep. "W-What do you want me to do?"

"There's only one way to make this right," you cooed as you handed him his laspistol. "What's that they say on Mars, Entek? Take us to your leader."

---

The rampaging horde of mutants continued to make ruckus and wreak havoc, harried only by murder-servitors and a few brave crewmen. As per orders, they weren't to damage the ship too much, although thanks to their nature, damage was inevitable. They cut a bloody swathe, painting the hallways a deep crimson, and a choir of screams played in harmony with their war cries. As they neared areas like the engine-temples and life-sustainers, they took more losses thanks to the more advanced defenses, but by then the ship's defenses were all but spent.

You attributed this to hubris, as Navy admirals are wont to do. You gave an inward laugh at their folly. The path to power is paved with humility.

A warband of mutants stayed with you and your crew on your way to the command deck. You arrived then at the gilded arch, opulent and vain, and obviously fortified. It could not be battered down, nor snuck past. It was passworded, the machine spirit guarding it thrice-consecrated to prevent the vile art of hacking. Which would be unnecessary, thanks to the provost commander and the remainder of his men. He punched in some codes and swiped his card, and the gilded arch began to open.

Inside, a barricade made of the bodies of slaves, alive and dead, was set up in defence. The command deck's personnel had their guns trained on you and your crew. On a command throne sat the Lord-Captain, looking haughty and bored, a plump cheek resting on a plumper hand.

"My Lord! The mutant barbarians are here!"

The well-dressed pig snorted and lazily snapped to attention. "Huh? Oh, right. Let's get this over with, then. Save that pretty one for later." He fell back to sleep, lying comfortably in his command throne as his men opened fire on yours.

His second-in-command, a robust man, whose medallions were not decorations but hard-earned scars, begun rallying his charges with invigorating words. "Prepare to die, scum!"

You commanded your mutants to:
A. Attack all-out, permitting them to use every ounce of there savagery in each strike.
B. Attack conservatively, targeting specific persons and stop themselves from overreaching.
C. Fight defensively, taking the brunt of the attacks while steadily advancing.
D. Protect you, becoming a living wall of safety.
E. Do something else.

You commanded your crew to:
A. Attack, focusing on killing and incapacitating.
B. Support the mutants, with commanding presence, combat-drugs, psychic blessings and covering fire.
C. Support you with commanding presence, combat-drugs, psychic blessings and covering fire.
D. Do something else.

You decided to:
A. Lead the charge, inspire your mutants from the forefront!
B. Lead from behind, taking precise shots with your laspistol.
C. Support your mutants.
D. Support your crew.
E. Do something else.

Name: Lena Cythriel, Exalted Champion

Gifts:
Daemoniac Tongue
Exalted
Perfection
Terrible Visage

Favor:
Khorne - Reviled
Nurgle - Betrayed
Tzeentch - Intrigued
Slaanesh - Exalted

Unknown - Amused

Known Characters:
Detox, apothecary - Betrayed
Hooker, sergeant - Devoted
Entek, tech-priest - Indifferent
Sorcerer - Devoted
The Boy - Unknown *Nowhere

Tempestus, chaplain - Dead?
The Captain - Dead

Forces:
Mutant Horde - 3,000 - Devoted

Items:
Artificer Bodyglove
Laspistol

*Command Deck
*In battle - Lord-Captain and crew vs. mutants, Lena, and crew.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
A - They're mutants trained in hand-to-hand. A rush is the only thing that will work for them. Plus if they all die, who cares? So long as they take down the enemy.
B - Multiply the mutants' threat.
B - Don't want to get hurt!

oscar

Arcane
A
B
B < C

The last one I'm tempted to sub for C, considering a single laspistol, even if accurately fired, is hardly battle changing but I'm not sure of the scale. Hooker should be adequate to lead and direct the mutants in any case

hello friend

Arcane
B - Guys we don't want to mess up the ship too much, and we could use some converted personnel. We just need to break their spirit, and we've got a huge bonus to conversion. So does the sorceror (at least manipulation and diplomacy, which is almost same thing. plus chaos powers).

Also worth noting that close combat specialty does not necessarily equal berserker. They're devoted to a Slaaneshi exalted champion and they recently built a statue to Tzeentch. We don't need to utilise them as if they were Khornates good for one thing only.
B
D

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
A - b (tell our comrades to support mutants if possible, but to prioritize important targets) - B (if possible, targeting those of command and such)

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Thrash the place. Entek will just have to piece it together... eventually. Close-quarters combat benefits from their ferocity. Holding back seems somewhat counter-productive.

The crew will lead this slaughter. We can't be everywhere at once, and our tactical acumen is sub-par compared to Hooker's.

As for us, we will support them and see to it that their orders command the same authority as if we ourselves issued them. It's not like anyone here can hurt us worse than the Chaos Gods did.

ABD

Last edited:

Cheesecake

Savant
((Sorry guys, I finished the turn before I saw the notifications that there were new posts :( My bad, should've said I was writing the turn.))

A: Smashing Axe, oscar, Endemic, lightbane, 4
B: hello friend, Azira, 2
C:
D: ERYKFRAD, 1
E:

A. Attack all-out, permitting them to use every ounce of there savagery in each strike.

A: ERYKFRAD, 1
B: Smashing Axe, oscar, Endemic, hello friend, Azira, lightbane, 6
C:
D:

B. Support the mutants, with commanding presence, combat-drugs, psychic blessings and covering fire.

A:
B: ERYKFRAD, Smashing Axe, oscar, Endemic, lightbane, 5
C: (oscar), (1)
D: hello friend, Azira, 2
E:

B. Lead from behind, taking precise shots with your laspistol.

With deafening howls the mutants clamber over the defenders, their feral fury unstoppable like a flood. The charge is devastating; many provosts are killed outright, crushed and trampled underneath talon and hoof. Those further back manage to thin the tide of mutants with nets and concussive grenades, wary of damaging the ship with flamers or explosives. The Lord-Captain's second-in-command is a venerable warrior, downing the mutants with ease with his shock maul.

Many of the losses on the mutant side are caused by friendlies; in their bloodlust, they soon cared not where the blood flowed from, only that it flowed. Still, despite losses, it was a definite victory. The makeshift barricades are splintered and utterly demolished, the surviving defenders huddled around their Lord-Captain (who is still asleep), surrounded by ravenous brutes. The second-in-command rallies his men to a final stand and counter attack.

Like cornered animals, they fight with ferociousness equal to their would-be killers. Shock mauls brutally collide with mutant skulls, caving them in, and leaving the corpses writhing violently on the cold floor. Mono-edged knives cleanly carve the marauding mutants, and point-blank shots with their hand-cannons spray mutant heads into gore.

You aim and fire. A hit. You do it once more. Another hit. Your crack-shooting is not unnoticed, however, and you become the target for the defenders' ire.

What would've been a damaging shot is taken instead by a nearby mutant, throwing himself in harm's way. His body crumples as he is riddled with holes. Still, the shots come, and you honor his sacrifice by staying out of harm's way, taking cover behind a gilded pillar. You begin singing a siren song, the harmonious melodies arousing and invigorating to your faithful barbarians - horrifying and cacophonous to the enemy.

The Sorcerer amplifies your siren's spell, his dark utterings serving as a chorus to your enchanting song. Shadows begin moving of their own accord, dancing to the terrible tune. Wailing echoes sing along from afar. Many combatants, from both sides, cease fighting - entranced by the soothing song or petrified by dark things not meant to be.

The second-in-command, however, is undeterred. He is locked in a deadly duel with Detox; his shock maul cannot hope to harm the bulwark of Nurgle. Detox, too, struggles with the second-in-command, helplessly flailing his bone-cutters while his foe dances around his bulk. The two duet, like nobles dancing to an eldritch song, set against a backdrop of blood and carnage. The second-in-command hits, the impact resounding off the walls of the cavernous deck. A crippling blow - to any lesser man. Detox shrugs it off as if he'd been given a hearty slap, and gives one in turn.

A single misstep in their dance, and the second-in-command is in command no more. His ruined remains lie ignobly as Detox hurries to support Hooker and the remaining mutants.

The defenders are routed. They run and plead to the Emperor to deliver them, screaming and sobbing as they fight off terrors real and imagined. Hooker chases after them, leading her mutants like a houndmaster snuffing out frightened foxes. The Sorcerer, you see, is lying on the floor. You notice, however, all his wounds are self-inflicted. Even someone like him gets a headache from Warp-exposure, you muse. Entek is nowhere to be seen.

The Lord-Captain rises from his command throne, utterly alert and nothing like the lethargic pig he was before and during the battle. "I fear this ship really is lost. I do hope you take care of her for me."

You bark a short laugh. "You're just gonna give this fine vessel to me? That's nice of you."

The man is bemused. "Just give it to you? By Terra, no! That'd be quite unsporting. I may be old, I may be fat, and I've been waiting for this death for a long time. But this, this I want to do right." He pulls an intricately designed chainsword from a embroidered scabbard. "You seem the type with finesse. Had my men beat your brutes, I'd have saved you to have a sparring partner. Now," he says as he revs his chainsword, "this fight is for honor."

You decide to:

I. Accept the duel.
A. Fight with your superior grace and finesse.
B. Try to distract him with your physical and psychic charm.
C. Use underhanded tactics like tripping him or suckerpunching him.
D. Do something else.

II. Refuse the duel.
A. Shoot him, here and now.
B. Wait for the mutants and crew to return, then kill him.
C. Spare him and try to contain him for later.
D. Something else.

Name: Lena Cythriel, Exalted Champion

Gifts:
Daemoniac Tongue
Exalted
Perfection
Terrible Visage

Favor:
Khorne - Reviled
Nurgle - Betrayed
Tzeentch - Intrigued
Slaanesh - Exalted

Unknown - Amused

Known Characters:
Detox, apothecary - Betrayed
Hooker, sergeant - Devoted
Entek, tech-priest - Indifferent
Sorcerer - Devoted
The Boy - Unknown *Nowhere

Tempestus, chaplain - Dead?
The Captain - Dead

Forces:
Mutant Horde - 2,500? - Devoted

Items:
Artificer Bodyglove
Laspistol

*Command Deck
*In battle - Lord-Captain vs. Lena

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I D: Use your siren song to upset his eardrums and force errors in footwork and balancing.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I'm torn between keeping him alive as a servant or just accepting the duel.

IA
for now. We're better than him, why would we cheat? He was respectful and recognised our uncontested greatness so let's return the courtesy before his soul is devoured by hungry gods.

A duel would be a suitable demonstration of our unsurpassed skill. That and Slaanesh is all about this sort of demonstration and test.

Besides he probably has some self-destruct switch which he'll activate if we cheat. Or something.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
You do update very fast, Cheesecake.
Anyway:

I D: Fight honorably like in A, but if he somehow wins/pulls out a self-destruct device, overwhelm him with the muties.

Baltika9

Arcane
Why don't we just shoot him?
IIA
Because we want to saviour the pleasure of victory, pain, truimph and defeat. To test our mastery of the blade against that old sleeping guy.
That;s actually pretty Slaaneshi. I didn't think of it that way. I guess this is just a matter of RPing or going for results, I kinda don't want to screw up right when we got our second chance from the Chaos Gods, is all. Could this man ostensibly defeat us? I think that there is a distinct possibility, however small it may be:
The man is bemused. "Just give it to you? By Terra, no! That'd be quite unsporting. I may be old, I may be fat, and I've been waiting for this death for a long time. But this, this I want to do right."
This guy is still holding out for that one redeeming moment in his life and, by his reckoning, that moment is here and now. I just don't want to take that chance and do it the most efficient way, since we're not bound by any ridiculous Khornate codes of honor.

oscar

Arcane
II. C

We're not honour bound and not a direct combat build either. I have a suspicion that this man's pride and final desire for a fitting death might cause our seduction/psychic influence to fail. Plus we can mind break him later into a drooling dog of a submissive slave to us later if we're feeling particularly Slaneeshi (or sacrifice him to a fitting god).

Endemic

Arcane
II C. What oscar said.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom