Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Sims 2

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Have you guys heard about it? Apparently it totally rawks. I build houses and carefully craft lesbian relationships.

Fez

Erudite
That's where the realism ends in that game. Everyone knows that college students spend half their time sleeping or getting drunk. They should have plenty of time to pass around the STDs for our amusement.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Fez said:
That's where the realism ends in that game. Everyone knows that college students spend half their time sleeping or getting drunk. They should have plenty of time to pass around the STDs for our amusement.

Which would be my big problem with Sims 2: University. Each semister is five days long, no weekend or down time to just groove around unless you influence people to do your work for you.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
I never bought University. I'm waiting for them to release those packs of 3 expansion packs in a set.

Fez

Erudite
They need to make a Sims pack that lets you play a tramp.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
DarkUnderlord said:
I never bought University. I'm waiting for them to release those packs of 3 expansion packs in a set.

It's expensive at $40US, but it's a damned fine expansion, DU. I don't regret shelling out that much for the expansion considering forcing sims through college makes them uber-sims. Most of my sims graduate college with like 70k aspiration points. Plus they get six aspirations instead of four like normal sims have and can lock down two aspirations instead of just one. Graduated sims are so, so much easier to manage, advance, and keep aspired than normal sims.

Fez

Erudite
Whenever I hear about the great features (that are often small gameplay tweaks) they put in the expansions, it annoys me they didn't do it in the first place or put it in a patch. Of course, they are looking to milk every cent they can out of everyone, but they needn't be so blatant, especially with a big seller like The Sims.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Well, I don't really mind if I can tell the expansion pack is a lot of work and adds something new to the game.

What annoys me is when a company doesn't fix bugs with a patch but instead offers the fixes, along with other things, in a new expansion pack.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
I mentioned this in a rant on DAC awhile back - patches vs expansions. My personal preference is for expansion packs (though along the lines with what Saint said - just as long as I can download a patch for any bugs). Expansions add new content for people who OMG love the game and don't to jack for people who may have bought the original but don't care enough to buy anything else.

Developers can then focus on making a solid "core" that works well (which the Sims 2 was) and can then add as much shit as they want for as long as people are interested in buying it. I'd much rather have a great, relatively bug-free game that leaves me with that "I want more" feeling, rather than a huge game that's ass-crappy bug-filled because the developers ran out of time to actually make the 250+ spells that they decided to add in work properly with the 250+ skills they added at the same time.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
EE said:
EA is ripping U.S. customers off. I got it for $33.95 here in Australia, RRP is $39.95. The Nightlife expansion is listed at the same price on pre-order.

Figures. I paid $38.95 for it when it came out.

DarkUnderlord said:
Expansions add new content for people who OMG love the game and don't to jack for people who may have bought the original but don't care enough to buy anything else.

Well, Maxis/EA broke some things in one expansion pack of The Sims and fixed the broken stuff with another expansion rather than a patch, IIRC. I'm sure a lot of people who were really in to The Sims would have gotten the expansion regardless, but expansions should be totally optional. If you like the game but don't like the focus of one expansion, you shouldn't have to buy it in order to fix the problems that the last expansion created.

Sim City 4 also had some traffic issues that were fixed in the expansion to that game. The expansion added some things, but when you have a broken mechanic in the game, it should be addressed with a patch rather than an expansion.

Psilon

Erudite
SimCity 4 had more than just "traffic" issues. What a horrible, horrible game. It was up there with MOO3 as a misguided sequel.

Did they ever fix the auto-streeting bug rather than simply telling players to turn auto-streeting off?

EEVIAC

Erudite
Fez said:
Is that $33.95 in Australian dollars?

Yep. GW is Australian, I think they're NSW based. The price is pretty much the same at Berlin Wall. I just checked some UK retailers and the price converts about evenly to $AUD. I guess the US being EA's largest and most profitable market has nothing to do with the $10 price premium they put on games they know are going to sell.

Someone needs to call Leland Yee.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
I've got the super duper Christmas edition or whatever it's called on disc. It gets taken for a ride once in a while. Fun game. Was the last time a Sims game didn't require you insert your dick into an ATM to play it.

Was the last time a Sims game didn't require you insert your dick into an ATM to play it.
The hell you say. Even Sims 1 had 7 expansions. They've been milking the series from the word go. 4's the only one that felt like a downgrade though, even if you're missing expansion content from the previous version every time a new version rolls out, they still had big steps forward that made it hard to want to go back. Sims 2 has more in-depth jobs and most importantly, proper aging so your kids can become actual sims. Sims 3 has full world-wide aging (Sims 2 only aged the currently played household), the story-shit (Managing the non-played sims so they'd do crap) and the open world. Sims 4 has... Better performance than Sims 3, and loses the story-shit, loses most of the open world, and dramatically shrinks each play area so you can only have like 5 fucking house lots on it. I like the look of 4 more since it goes back to more stylized-cartoony sims but 3 was the best overall, and 1 and 2 still have admirable qualities (1 having the best soundtrack by far, 2 having the best "Mechanics" which isn't very important to the series but it plays the most like a regular game) but 4's just a letdown.

I can only hope that 5 is the best of the series because I know I'm going to want to play the fucker.
:kingcomrade:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I got Sims 2 and it entire expansions for free off Origin.

But which is better ? Sims 3 with all expansions or Sims 4 with all expansions ?
I'm curious, and it's possible I can get my hands on these without paying too much. It's possible.

Bahamut

Arcane
I got Sims 2 and it entire expansions for free off Origin.

But which is better ? Sims 3 with all expansions or Sims 4 with all expansions ?
I'm curious, and it's possible I can get my hands on these without paying too much. It's possible.

3 pretty much, though the more content you install the more bloated and unstable it becomes, plus loading times are ass
4 is much more smoother expierience but feature wise its step back from 3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom