Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

Codex Year of the Donut
https://steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/2957094910196249305
Proton 4.11 released, kernel packages available for testing
Jul 30 @ 6:39pm - Pierre-Loup
Today we are releasing the first build of Proton 4.11, based on Wine 4.11. Among the usual variety of functional fixes[github.com], as well as a new Vulkan-based D3D9 implementation, it also includes a significant amount of work on reducing CPU overhead for multithreaded games. We observed the following performance gains when forcing a CPU-bound scenario on a high-end machine by reducing graphics details to a minimum:

We expect such gains to be reproducible on more realistic settings with a lower-end machine.

It also includes an experimental replacement for esync[github.com]. L
ast year, as we were ramping up Proton development, we identified several blocking performance issues with multithreaded games. CodeWeavers then worked on developing the esync patchset to address them. While we think that was very successful, there's certain tradeoffs associated with it: because it relies on the kernel's eventfd() functionality, esync needs special setup and can cause file descriptor exhaustion problems in event-hungry applications. We think it also results in extraneous spinning in the kernel, compared to what an optimal implementation would be.

As such, we're proposing changes to the Linux kernel[lkml.org] to extend the futex() system call to expose what we think is the needed extra bit of core functionality needed to support optimal thread pool synchronization. Proton 4.11 includes the fsync patchset, which will leverage this new Linux kernel functionality to replace esync when supported. For more technical details, refer to the link to the proposed kernel changes above.

We are also posting proof-of-concept glibc patches[github.com] for upstream review and discussion; these patches expose the corresponding kernel functionality as part of the pthread library. We think that if this feature (or an equivalent) was adopted upstream, we would achieve efficiency gains by adopting it in native massively-threaded applications such as Steam and the Source 2 engine.

As usual, testing our theories and uncovering the last few bugs will involve a lot of testing; we have prepared packages for Ubuntu and Arch containing the necessary kernel patches to test fsync with Proton 4.11; for more information, please see this forum thread.

Valve is the best :love:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.pcgamesn.com/steam-release-date-coming-soon

Seems Valve is cracking down on abuse of Steam’s ‘Upcoming Releases’ section

It looks like Valve has made a significant change to the way studios manage games’ release dates on Steam. A Reddit user by the name of HeadlessIvan has posted a screenshot of a message received on Steam indicating that changes to a title’s release date now need to be approved by Valve, and that developers need to have a solid idea of when their games will actually launch.

Reached for comment, HeadlessIvan told us that they work in publishing at an indie label, and received the message “while updating the release date for one of our titles.” The message gives the game’s current launch date and says “if you need to make changes to this date, please contact Valve here with the reason for your new release date and what date you’d like to set it as.”

It adds, “you should be pretty certain that your new date is the date you will release.” As HeadlessIvan explains in the comments, this means developers can no longer alter the release dates of their games without Valve’s approval.

We’ve reached out to Valve for further confirmation of the change and its reasons for making it. One such reason could be to prevent studios from moving their release dates multiple times. HeadlessIvan suggests that the change is “a good thing because lots of people used it to appear in Coming Soon section without releasing a game.”

Earlier this year Mike Rose of indie studio No More Robots raised some questions (via GamesIndustry.biz) about how developers manage their games’ release dates on Steam, saying on Twitter that the platform’s Popular Upcoming list was “unfortunately […] a (sometimes accidentally) manipulated mess.” Rose added, “you can set *any* date for your game’s release in the Steam backend, and it means nothing. You can set a date, and let it go by. Then you can set another date, and let it go by again,” with the effect being that it would appear in the Upcoming list.

At the time, Tom Giardino at Valve responded saying that it was a “big topic of discussion” and that “it frustrates us for the same reasons it frustrates you.” However, the company acknowledged that it was “super important that devs get to control their own release timing so we don’t want to mess with that.” Giardino said that Valve was “trying to fix it” in a way that balanced making Upcoming Releases valuable with devs sometimes needing to “shift” their release dates.

We’ll update this story with any new information we receive from Valve.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
While Epic has its thumb up in their ass, doing nothing, Valve is constantly improving Steam. Babysteps, but still improving.

Last edited by a moderator:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
While Epic has its thumb up in their ass, doing nothing, Valve is constantly improving Steam. Babysteps, but still improving.

giphy.gif

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
More update to the Recommender: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamLabs/discussions/3/1643170903484574354/

Filtering on multiple tags

In response to feedback, we've added the ability to filter on multiple tags at the same time, and to exclude multiple tags.

Currently if you're filtering by many tags at the same time, or use more obscure tags, you can run into a situation where the recommender is left with only a few suggestions. We have some solutions in the works for this problem, but in the spirit of Steam Labs, we wanted to get flexible tag filtering in your hands as soon as we could.

As always, we're happy to read feedback on how the Interactive Recommender is working for you, and what you'd like to see in future updates.

Valve guys are pretty responsive (strange, I know) on the Labs forum, they're also planning to add ignore, or rather "suppress" ('good recommendation but don't need this because I already own this on other platforms, etc.') button.

If these recent updates and responsiveness are response to Epic, cool, I'll give you this one Sweeney.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
"by an attacker with limited permissions to run code administrative privileges."

Once again with these "vulnerabilities" that need your system to be compromised in the first place.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamesn.com/counter-strike-global-offensive/steam-workshop-moderation

Some Steam Workshop submissions now require moderator approval
counter-strike-580x334.jpg

August 11, 2019 Valve has contacted us to confirm that the approvals only apply to certain games, and that not all submissions will require them.

Valve has rolled out a new feature to Steam’s Workshop. Now, some new submissions for CSGO, Dota 2, and Team Fortress 2 will require approval of a moderator before going live on the Workshop. While the new process may slow down affected submissions to the Workshop, it’s a move modders and mappers have been requesting for a while now to counter the flood of scam account submissions. Valve has confirmed that the new system has been put in place to deal with the “Free Skins” phishing scams.

The Global Offensive subreddit spotted the change this weekend. User TanookiSuit3 posted a screenshot showing a new banner over a pending Steam Workshop submission, which reads “Moderators need to approve the latest version of this item before it will be visible to other players in the Workshop.” It contains a link to more information, which is found in Steam Support. That page explains that the submission process now has two steps: first, an email verification that the user associated with the Steam account is the same person who made the submission, and second, moderator approval of the new item, map, skin, or mod.

“Newly submitted and updated items will be placed into a moderation queue,” the help page reads. “You’ll be able to view and edit the content during this process, but other players will not be able to view changes until they’re approved.”

Valve says this moderation process should take “less than a day,” so this new step shouldn’t be too much of a bottleneck for Workshop content creators. The developer has also told us that it has some rules regarding which items require verification, and which do not. For example, submissions from creators who have a large number of voters of subscribers will not require approval. Valve tells us that it will probably add additional heuristics in the future, but is waiting to see what happens with the existing rules first.

Many creators have been clamoring for Valve to take such a step for more than a year. In the Counter-Strike: Global Offensive community particularly (but certainly not exclusively), scammers have reigned the Workshop, flooding the game’s Workshop page with their own dubious submissions (usually called something like “Free Skins!” and leading to a phishing attempt) and auto-downvoting any map more popular. This video by map maker Zool Smith shows how it happens:

While this new moderation step does add a slight inconvenience for affected Workshop creators who want to get their content up as quickly as possible, it should make it easier for players to actually find and use those creations. In all, it’s a positive change in our book.

When I checked the Counter-Strike Workshop this morning, it was pristine and completely free from “Free Skins” spam.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good. I haven't ignored cool games that I own on other storefronts/platforms, but it was annoying to see them recommended. Good feature for me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.pcgamesinsider.biz/news...-we-can-expect-from-its-steamspy-replacement/

Devcom 2019 - Valve clarifies what to expect from its own SteamSpy solution

jan-peter-ewert-valve-r225x.jpg

PC games giant Valve has said that it isn't working on a successor to data site SteamSpy - at least not in the form that we may expect.

Speaking to PCGamesInsider.biz at Devcom 2019, biz dev chief Jan-Peter Ewert (pictured) clarified remarks reported from his talk at White Nights St Petersberg in June 2018, in which he said that Valve was working on something "better than SteamSpy".

Ewert told PCGamesInsider.biz that Valve is constantly developing new tools to provide developers with the data and information that they need to make smart decisions, sometimes based on specific requests from studios themselves.

"That was ultimately what I was trying to say [at White Nights 18]," Ewert said.

"Unfortunately, out of the 45-minute presentation I gave there, the one soundbite that came out was: 'There's going to be a SteamSpy from Steam!'. We have constantly been working on ways to improve the way that developers can make smart decisions based on the data that they see and give them better ways to make those decisions. Ultimately, that's the only way we'll make money. It's a very self-serving thing to do. There's no specific product that you can expect from us at this specific moment in time."

Steam designer Alden Kroll added: There's not a concentrated set of features that we're rolling out together to try and accomplish that. It's more individual: 'Oh, we hear from developers that they want to know more about what countries their Wishlisters are in, so we should add more information so they can understand who is Wishlisting their game, where they live and what languages they should support.

'It's about trying to be responsive to developer requests and figuring out - based on that - what is the actionable data that we can share with developers that they can actually use to make concrete decisions. Everyone has their own idea of that a SteamSpy replacement means. So it's about what's useful in that concept, and you run into a bunch of issues about how do we share data in a way that's respectful to developers whose data we are sharing and whether they want that data shared or not. There's a lot to work out there and that's we don't have a specific thing that's on the roadmap.'

SteamSpy was hugely popular in the development community as it provided an idea of how games were performing. The solution wasn't 100 per cent accurate - nor did Galyonkin ever claim that it was - and was halted last year due to changes to how profiles on Steam operated.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/08/22/steam_zeroday_valve/

Disgruntled bug-hunter drops Steam zero-day to get back at Valve for refusing him a bounty
EoP bug now free for the world to see after bounty was rejected

A security bod angry at Valve's handling of bug reports has disclosed a zero-day vulnerability affecting the games giant's flagship Steam app.

Russia-based bug-hunter Vasily Kravets said that he was releasing details of the flaw, an elevation-of-privilege hole, after a series of poor interactions with Valve led to him getting banned from Valve's bug bounty program, run by HackerOne.

The way Kravets tells it – Valve did not respond to a request for comment – the whole saga started earlier this month when he went to report a separate elevation-of-privilege flaw in Steam Client, the software players use to purchase and run titles from Valve's platform.

Valve declined to recognize and pay out a reward for that particular security hole, which it said required local access and the ability to drop files on the target machine, and was therefore, in Valve's eyes, not really a vulnerability. Kravets was eventually banned from Valve's program on HackerOne.

"I received a lot of feedback. But Valve didn’t say a single word, HackerOne sent a huge letter and, mostly, kept silence," Kravets said. "Eventually things escalated with Valve and I got banned by them on HackerOne – I can no longer participate in their vulnerability rejection program (the rest of H1 is still available though)."

Now, some two weeks later, Kravets has discovered and disclosed a second elevation-of-privilege flaw in Steam. Like the first, this hole – a .DLL loading vulnerability – would require an attacker to have access to the target's machine in some way, and the ability to write files locally.

If those requirements are met, Kravets said, the miscreant could get the Steam app to load and execute malicious DLL files, potentially giving an even greater control over the system and allowing the hacker to further download and install all sorts of malware on the target PC. Depending on the games installed, Steam may have to run with administrator privileges, so getting code execution within it could allow an intruder to do a lot of damage.

While neither flaw would be considered a "critical" risk as they each require the attacker to already have access to the target machine (if that's the case you're already in serious trouble, so what's another flaw), Kravets argues that since it is a marketplace for third-party code, Steam in particular would be an attractive target with an elevated risk from EoP flaws.

"It is rather ironic that a launcher, which is actually designed to run third-party programs on your computer, allows them to silently get a maximum of privileges," the bug-hunter notes. "Are you sure that a free game made of garbage by an unknown developer will behave honestly?"

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/08/22/valve_bug_bounty_steam_u_turn/

Steam cleaned of zero-day security holes after Valve turned off by bug bounty snub outrage
Security bod may be invited back into vuln reward program, Half-Life 3 still ain't happening

Games giant Valve is attempting to make nice with the infosec bod who disclosed zero-day exploits for vulnerabilities in Steam after the corporation refused to pay out bug bounties for the flaws.

On Thursday, Valve said it would patch both of the holes discovered by bug-hunter Vasily Kravets, and will consider reinstating Kravets into the biz's bug bounty program, run by HackerOne. "We have released updates to the Steam Client public beta channel to address these issues, and we have already pushed some initial fixes to all users," the US corp told us.

This comes after Kravets dropped the second of two zero-day elevation-of-privilege vulnerabilities in the Steam client software. Both would have potentially allowed an attacker to inject malicious code into the application, which, depending on the games installed, may run with administrator-level clearance. Either way, it was possible to hijack Steam to run malware or install spyware, as long as you already have some access to the victim's system: they basically turn a bad situation worse.

Initially, Valve, via HackerOne, declined to award any bounty or recognize the first vulnerability report, claiming that elevation-of-privilege holes did not qualify for the bounty program. When Kravets objected to the decision, he says there was an exchange that resulted in him being banned by Valve from its reward scheme.

That move prompted Kravets to publicly drop a second zero-day elevation-of-privilege exploit for Steam. This time, a .DLL injection oversight. "Since Valve decided to read a public report instead of private report one more time, I won’t take that pleasure away from them," Kravets quipped.

The second security flaw report, it seems, along with condemnation from infosec professionals online, was enough to get Valve's attention. Shortly after news broke of the second bug disclosure, the multibillion-dollar biz issued the press (including El Reg) a statement reversing its decision.

"Our HackerOne program rules were intended only to exclude reports of Steam being instructed to launch previously installed malware on a user’s machine as that local user," Valve said in a statement to The Register. "Instead, misinterpretation of the rules also led to the exclusion of a more serious attack that also performed local privilege escalation through Steam."

It continued: "We have updated our HackerOne program rules to explicitly state that these issues are in scope and should be reported. In the past two years, we have collaborated with and rewarded 263 security researchers in the community helping us identify and correct roughly 500 security issues, paying out over $675,000 in bounties. We look forward to continuing to work with the security community to improve the security of our products through the HackerOne program."

Valve did, however, stop short of promising to reverse Kravets' ban, saying, "we are reviewing the details of each situation to determine the appropriate actions."

Bruticis

Novice
Patron

Over the last few years, the perception around Steam has changed somewhat. Valve's storefront has gone from being the biggest name in PC gaming to having a more problematic relationship with both the development community and players.

[Citation Needed]
Well just look at Steam's last sale event, the grand prix shit was a complete mess. Indie devs were pissed off at the wording of the contest and the community misunderstanding it which caused a bunch of people to remove all the indie trash from their wishlists so they would win some AAA $60 game. The event was a total clusterfuck.

Also, indie devs have been complaining about Steams revamped revenue sharing tiers before that

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Well just look at Steam's last sale event, the grand prix shit was a complete mess. Indie devs were pissed off at the wording of the contest and the community misunderstanding it which caused a bunch of people to remove all the indie trash from their wishlists so they would win some AAA $60 game. The event was a total clusterfuck.

Also, indie devs have been complaining about Steams revamped revenue sharing tiers before that

"Has gone from being the biggest name in PC gaming to..." what? Being the biggest name in PC gaming with some mild grumbling on Twitter? Oh no.

Bruticis

Novice
Patron

"Has gone from being the biggest name in PC gaming to..." what? Being the biggest name in PC gaming with some mild grumbling on Twitter? Oh no.
I didn't write the article but I'll pass your feedback along via my embedded tweet facebook poll on myspace. Did you miss the memo, anything on twitter is relevant theses days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom