Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #6: Meres, Castoff's Labyrinth and Brian Mitsoda!

Capitalism

Educated
Jaesun, you are one fucking hypnotising prophet! Now try to post in SoA thread something like: "Kotick! Riccitiello!" Or: "Romero#1! Romero #2!"

Kane McComb is really a right man for the job. I like what I hear from this Brotherhood.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
This is supposed to be a science fiction setting too, not just fantasy.

Whatever they've said, the setting is essentially fantasy, the more they talk about it the more obvious this is the case. The sci-fi aspect is more of a blend, i.e. one more flavor in the mix, elements of it thrown in. I'm sure some things will make more sense than others, but some things, probably most things, aren't going to pan out logically, in the conventional or even far-out science sense, in this setting.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The castoff Labyrinth is interesting but I worry about two things. One, you are essentially locking away lore/content for "dieing" which is traditionally a fail state. Obviously you'd need to telegraph this to the player (or perhaps force it upon them just once) just so people realize it and experience it.

HERP DERP PLZ DONT LOCK CONTENT FROM ME!!!!

This is why we can't have nice things.

And when will people learn you spell "DYING"?

hiver

This is supposed to be a science fiction setting too, not just fantasy.

Whatever they've said, the setting is essentially fantasy, the more they talk about it the more obvious this is the case. The sci-fi aspect is more of a blend, i.e. one more flavor in the mix, elements of it thrown in. I'm sure some things will make more sense than others, but some things, probably most things, aren't going to pan out logically, in the conventional or even far-out science sense, in this setting.

Regardless, things have to make some sense - there are limits to suspension of disbelief. Fantasy or science fiction.

Labyrinth is a very good idea but you cant just make all of it nonsensical - just because, and expect its still a good idea.

You know, Reapers - you cannot even grasp the nature of our existence?
catalyst?

hello?

Some things, many things can remain mysteries, thats not a problem - but the core narrative very important things should make some sense.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The story is set in a place the runs on Clarke's Third Law - all the devices and events in this are completely unfathomable, that's the point. The only thing that should be asked before using some element is whether it does thematically fit the story you are trying to tell, not whether it can be reasonably explained. It only needs internal consistency to suspend disbelief, not any complex technobbable answer.

DeepOcean

Arcane
The castoff Labyrinth is interesting but I worry about two things. One, you are essentially locking away lore/content for "dieing" which is traditionally a fail state. Obviously you'd need to telegraph this to the player (or perhaps force it upon them just once) just so people realize it and experience it.

HERP DERP PLZ DONT LOCK CONTENT FROM ME!!!!

This is why we can't have nice things.

And when will people learn you spell "DYING"?
Yeah, the idea of going to the labyrinth when dying is cool, but if you can go to the labyrinth at your own will without dying then the labyrinth would be just another area of the game, it would be almost as if you could enter and get out of a maze from the Lady of pain on Torment any time you wanted, the maze would just become a generic area.

evdk

Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, the idea of going to the labyrinth when dying is cool, but if you can go to the labyrinth at your own will without dying then the labyrinth would be just another area of the game, it would be almost as if you could enter and get out of a maze from the Lady of pain on Torment any time you wanted, the maze would just become a generic area.
This. Keep the area Post Mortem.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It should still be accessible through deep meditation or whatever the fuck. It's kinda retarded to have this great place you can only go when you get yourself killed. It should be an incentive for not reloading, not for failing in the first place.

evdk

Patron
It should still be accessible through deep meditation or whatever the fuck. It's kinda retarded to have this great place you can only go when you get yourself killed. It should be an incentive for not reloading, not for failing in the first place.
There can be parts of the game when you die without failing, like the "Let me kill you" Sensorium side quest in PST. If you can just mediate whenever to grind the Labyrinth, it would be like item world in Disgaea.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

The maze... or the Modron cube... someone slap that Biodrone over the head with those. I suspect that he was butthurt about those too. They should have been forced on the player, probably.

hiver

Luckily there is someone with more brain and sense than you people.

Adam Heine 5 minutes ago

Daniel Camozzato provided good plausible answers to the first part of your question. We're not saying, "Hey, it's magic!" We're saying, "Hey, it's science beyond what we can currently comprehend." It's a very minor difference, but it's a difference. All of this made sense to *someone* at some point in previous Eight Worlds, but it doesn't necessarily make sense to us. That's how the Ninth World is a lot of times.

"Why not Esoteries... spells if there are any. Why not getting an increase in some skills or abilities? Or completely new skills and abilities? Why not have events inside affect tides and legacies?" These will come as we get to add new fathoms to the Labyrinth.

"Why wouldn't i start killing myself as soon as i start the game and thus easily level up and get all those awesome benefits?" A good question. This is one of those things that will be handled when start designing the details and (more importantly) balancing the game.

I don't expect the Labyrinth to be a magic bonus realm of grinding and infinite XP. It's possible that the Labyrinth will grow within the game too, that you won't be able to access all of its areas until you progress further in the game. We'll see.
I know it feels like we're just saying, "This is all the cool stuff you'll be able to do!" And sometimes it feels like you'll be able to do all of this from the start, but that's rarely going to be true. It's still a game, after all :)

Esquilax

Arcane
How is this any different than what others have said? The setting is meant to depict technology that is so far into the future that for all intents and purposes, it's magic and nobody really understands it, even if they happened to in some long-forgotten past.

hiver

He is not saying the exact same thing.
Im not asking for fucking explanations of advanced tech!!

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There can be parts of the game when you die without failing, like the "Let me kill you" Sensorium side quest in PST. If you can just mediate whenever to grind the Labyrinth, it would be like item world in Disgaea.
You could ask Phelot to kill you and deliver you to the Mortuary too. I think there were other ways to intentionally die too.

hiver

he hasnt given me what?

technological explanation?

are you having a brain stroke evdk?

evdk

Patron
I am starting to believe that I am, yes.

Just a side note, when you start to believe everyone you argue with must be retarded, it may be time for some introspection.

hiver

ok, for the last time... i dont care about technological explanations at all. I did not even ask for anything like that.

go back and read what i asked and what i said.

Actually.

And then read what Adam answered. Again.

Im not asking for anyone to explain magic to me.

I AM ASKING THAT MAGIC SHOULD BEHAVE IN A WAY THAT MAKES SENSE INTERNALLY.
THAT IT IS COHERENT.

TO HAVE SOME SENSIBLE LIMITATIONS. JUST LIKE SPELLS BEHAVE IN A SENSIBLE MANNER WITHIN THE DnD SETTING. THERE ARE LIMITS. SPECIFIC EFFECTS. YOU CANT JUST DO WHATEVER YOU FUCKING LIKE.

hiver

The Planescape Torment setting made sense. It had its own laws and rules and its own logic.
Even if nobody really understood how magic really works or how belief really works and why.

the idea of labyrinth as it was made no sense at all - before Adam. who is a smart guy, answered me as he did.

Its still not the best it could be but it is already much better and more sensible.

Kirtai

Augur
Basically, he's given assurance that it'll be plausible, fit in with the rest of the game world and, as I mentioned earlier, not make people think "that's dumb" when they encounter it :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom