Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
I just discovered my monitor has smart scaling (or whatever it's called). I'm playing Underrail at 720p and everything scaled perfectly. Fonts are perfectly readable now :incline:
I believe I noticed this as a feature on my new monitor's menu. Finally got a real pc monitor instead of a 48" 1080p tv with tons of lag all up in my grill. everything looks so much better in underrail at this size. I'll have to check out enabling this when I play the release.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Smart scaling , dumb scaling... it depends on the screen how good it scales to non-native resolutions. Some screens have additional scaling settings like eyestabber's. A relatively good 1080p LCD will usually scale nicely to 720p.

And indeed 1280x720 or 1280x800 is a very good resolution to play Underrail, because the text and the world have a good size.

Cortex_Reaver

Novice
25% health penalty for psi isn't the only thing that's changing. Psi costs are increasing, psi ranges decreasing. Psi feats getting reigned in.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Smart scaling , dumb scaling... it depends on the screen how good it scales to non-native resolutions. Some screens have additional scaling settings like eyestabber's. A relatively good 1080p LCD will usually scale nicely to 720p.

And indeed 1280x720 or 1280x800 is a very good resolution to play Underrail, because the text and the world have a good size.

Yeah. Tbh, after some experimenting I decided to simply use regular scaling. My game looks pretty good at "fake" 720p. Same quality, less hassle.

Eadan

Novice
Hate it when games want the player to pick skills before they are at least somewhat familiar with the game. What is the ratio of locked doors/containers to hackable computers?, How do the rewards and hidden content behind them compare?, How good is melee versus ranged?, etc.. This pretty much guarantees your character customization will be uninformed in the first playthrough, and the story will be spoiled for potential future playthroughs.

Lhynn

Arcane
Hate it when games want the player to pick skills before they are at least somewhat familiar with the game.
Fuck you, character creation is one of my favorite things in rpgs.

What is the ratio of locked doors/containers to hackable computers?, How do the rewards and hidden content behind them compare?, How good is melee versus ranged?, etc.. This pretty much guarantees your character customization will be uninformed in the first playthrough, and the story will be spoiled for potential future playthroughs.
This is not a storyfag game, but either way, the story would be spoiled for potential future playthroughs anyway, after all you actually experienced it once before.

Fry

Arcane
Hate it when games want the player to pick skills before they are at least somewhat familiar with the game. What is the ratio of locked doors/containers to hackable computers?, How do the rewards and hidden content behind them compare?, How good is melee versus ranged?, etc.. This pretty much guarantees your character customization will be uninformed in the first playthrough, and the story will be spoiled for potential future playthroughs.

Sssshhh! This is the Codex. Games should require 15 failed attempts before teaching you enough to actually play them. Anything less is :decline:

epeli

Arcane
Hate it when games want the player to pick skills before they are at least somewhat familiar with the game.

:hmmm: I wish I could trade metagame knowledge with you, even if it comes with a high risk of IQ loss. I want to experience Underrail for the first time again.

roshan

Arcane

You make absolutely no sense at all. So when do you want to pick your skills? After you have completed the game, and then have the engine automatically retroactively apply it to your playthrough and recompute your results?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

If you carefully consider all of the alternatives, I think you'll find that having to go in blind is a small price to pay and a necessary annoyance.

One of the alternatives (there are many) is to implement a simplistic character system and very little genuine difficulty. This is the alternative that the AAA gaming industry has chosen.

What is the ratio of locked doors/containers to hackable computers?, How do the rewards and hidden content behind them compare?, How good is melee versus ranged?, etc.. This pretty much guarantees your character customization will be uninformed in the first playthrough, and the story will be spoiled for potential future playthroughs.

You don't want the story to be spoiled, but you want to know how best to build a character and which skills are the most effective and lucrative before the game even begins? Has it occurred to you that some players like figuring out and discovering those sorts of things on their own?

What, do you want a popup at the beginning listing the total number of charons the entire contents of every locked safe in the game are worth, compared to the total value of the contents of all hackable containers?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Waaah, I might be "suboptimal". Fuck you. Go win Wasteland with a level 3 in Bureaucracy and then we'll talk about how unplayable games are without knowing all the challenges beforehand.

Ellef

Deplorable

What the fuck man, where is your sense of discovery and problem solving?

I'm sure we'll see your negative steam review soon.
TOO MANY SKILLS, RNG DECIDES EVERYTHING, THE GAME DIDN'T TELL ME THAT HACKING EARNED 10% MORE GOLD ON AVERAGE THAN LOCKPICKING

Ellef

Deplorable
:?
Do you know of a single game where it doesn't work like that?

It's a Sawyerist philosophy where character creation shouldn't matter and you are slowly drip fed new abilities which all do the same thing with a new animation, every level.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Skyrim leaps to mind. You start out a newborn baby (you can't assign skills) and then you just do stuff as the game goes along and get better at it.

Not my favorite approach.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Skyrim leaps to mind. You start out a newborn baby (you can't assign skills) and then you just do stuff as the game goes along and get better at it. Not my favorite approach.
Morrowind did it right.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Morrowind also heavily leaned on training as a progression method, which encouraged questing to earn money for said training. The capitalist circle of life.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
For the record—and I hesitate to say this, because J.E. Sawyer has tainted the word "balance"—Underrail's skills and feats are relatively balanced, in the sense that few if any are clearly superior, outright bad, or rarely used (unlike some skills, feats, and perks in Fallout and Fallout 2, for example). All are useful, although I wouldn't say they're equally useful, and many of them are useful in different circumstances. It's hard to compare Throwing and Guns and decide which is "better," for example.

As a group, crafting skills are probably the most powerful and lucrative, but they are heavily interdependent (the majority of non-medicinal items require two or three crafting skills) and they cannot exist in a vacuum. It's also certainly viable to skip them all and have a larger spread of completely maxed-out non-crafting skills, though in my experience the game will be a bit harder overall; yet you'd have more flexibility when approaching different situations.

Last edited:

Alfons

Prophet
Skyrim leaps to mind. You start out a newborn baby (you can't assign skills) and then you just do stuff as the game goes along and get better at it. Not my favorite approach.
Forcing you to do shit which you suck at to get good at it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom