Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

UnderRail review at RPS - and it's negative!

Discussion in 'Underrail' started by Infinitron, May 22, 2017.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/05/22/underrail-indie-rpg-review/

• Brofist x 3
    • decline x 3
    • Rage x 3
    • retadred x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • incline x 2
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • Shit x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    :russiastronk:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • decline decline x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. oneself Prophet Shitposter

oneself
    Parrots:
    A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
    He liked the combat, stealth. Found leveling mechanic to be unique, but hated the slow movement speed, empty maps, lackluster NPC interactions.

Pretty standard view on Underrail tbh.

• Agree x 8
    • Salute x 2
    • Shit x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Zarniwoop Destiny Cleanser Patron

Zarniwoop
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Stopped reading right there. :edgy:

Name one reason Fallout is legendary, which is not good, I dare you. I double dare you motherfucker.

Goddamn millennial edgelord writers trying to seem smart but don't know wtf they're talking about.

• Agree Agree x 15
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. Jazz_ Cipher

Jazz_
    Parrots:
    ''Even with all my perks devoted to doing damage and getting into positions to do more damage, there’s simply too much random luck involved. Status effects stacking up when you’re stabbing someone is great, but when you’re fighting three people who can also stunlock you for 2 or 3 turns, missing a single special attack or taking one bad hit spells practically guaranteed death. There are cooldown timers on everything too – stealth, medkits, even grenades for god’s sake – so while your options are arbitrarily limited, two enemies (and the very opening task has you fight several groups of – of fucking course – rats. Well, rathounds. So rats and wolves combined, because why limit yourself to one cliché? I look forward to the inevitable spidergoblin) can cycle their attacks, effortlessly immobilising, stunning and/or crippling you. Even on easy mode, too many fights come down to hoping that enemies will miss, against the odds.''

:abyssgazer:

basicly casul who cannot into combat writes butthurt review.
    How about coming up with a different approach instead of hoping they ''miss against the odds'' next time? what a braindead doofus.

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    • Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Parrots:
    Pretty accurate review. Underrail had potential to be a modern age classic as it does a lot of things extraordinarily well, but the staggering amount of bad shit outweights the good shit.

• Agree x 10
    • Disagree x 4
    • Shit x 2
    • Salute x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Parabalus Arcane

Parabalus
    Parrots:
    The guy just rants about the game being too difficult and him being too retarded to handle it. A roaring endorsement I'd say.

[​IMG]

He has a few good points later on, about the OoC move speed for instance.

Don't really agree that the narrative lacks focus or motivation, all of that was present for me. You can tell he rage quit because he doesn't mention the cube as a central plot device and complains there isn't one.

Dunno why everybody insists on comparing UR to Fallout, the games have very little in common (inside the tbRPG genre).

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Florian Gheorghe Savant

Florian Gheorghe
    Parrots:
    Hmm... pretty sure Underrail is the best game I have played since Arcanum.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. FritzedProcess Learned

FritzedProcess
    Parrots:
    That fucking heretic noob is shit at playing the game and gives it a bad review because of that? Typical of RPS reviews, I swear. It's either that or "I thought game X was genre A, but it's B instead, so I'll review it as genre A and give it bad reviews for not living up to my expectations". And they write articles like bloody fairies or as if they were explaining something to a retard or a profane (either of which apply to 90% of people still using RPS as some sort of reference).

Edit: a single failed roll spelling doom? "Even on easy"? Where do they hire these mongs? Do they work for free? For AIDS-infested bukkake?

Go play and review Farmville, motherfuckers!

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Bio Force Ape Arcane

Bio Force Ape
    Parrots:
    That writing is awful. Guy's trying way too hard to be funny and quirky and OMG so random! LOLOLOL

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    Who the hell is Sin Vega?

Oh, some bint.

^ Top  
  12. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    "“it’s like Fallout or those old Infinity Engine RPGs, but with an interface designed for humans”"

Retard

• Agree Agree x 11
    • nice nice x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Black Angel Cipher

Black Angel
    Parrots:
    If that's the case, then why do Styg originally wanted the game to be RTwP?

From what I've seen and heard, the comparison to Fallout has always been pitched by the fans.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Sykar Arcane

Sykar
    Parrots:
    Another retarded review by RPS. What a surprise.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Maxie Magister

Maxie
    Parrots:
    it's not even possible to diss IE interface if you've ever played any game on IE
    namedropping for namedropping's sake deserves a punch to the throat, one per name dropped

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. toro Arcane

toro
    Parrots:
    Slow movement speed sucks. The issue could be easily fixed with some in-game toggle.

The somewhat empty maps make sense in the UR game world. I honestly did not think about this until now and I enjoyed the feeling of solitude.

Lackluster NPC interactions ... this is a good point but also dishonest: this kind of complain can be made about every RPG released after F3:NV (including CYOAs like AoD).

However his complain about randomness in combat is retarded. The combat is definitely not characterized by randomness (with the exception of Initiative on Carnifex).

The game hits some good points like unique skill system, excellent combat, great exploration, good atmosphere and I would say interesting background lore. The difference between UR and the standard approach is that the game doesn't feed you the backstory and you have to make some effort to learn about it. Although I understand complains about the Cube being a stupid MacGuffin.

Overall his arguments are poor and he draws the wrong conclusion: Underrail is flawed but it stands on his own two feet. This is the reason why the game is already a classic in a world drowning in shit.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. toro Arcane

toro
    Parrots:
    Sin Vega

Another delusional SJW which writes anything for only 37$.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Goral Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Parrots:
    He's right about slow movement, empty maps (even cities where there are usually 3 or less noteworthy NPCs in each section and you have to trudge through a lot of empty space to reach them) and characters that serve only as quest givers or quest targets and don't have much of personality. He's also right about what NMA admin wrote:

He's also right about GMS expedition quest, Styg knew how to rise the tension, unfortunately it quickly became clear that he overhyped the situation and once I got back there only disappointment was waiting. It's especially annoying once you learn about Gorsky's past who was supposed to be badass but was too afraid of a couple of burrowers that one man could handle easily (so not to mention Gorsky + more men).

But it's obvious that the main reason he wrote a negative review was because he was too incompetent and couldn't even finish it and the game was too hard for him. I can bet that if he could just click-kill enemies suddenly some of the negative points he wrote would either disappear or had much lesser weight. And since he's a SJW retard and a Fallout 3 lover you just can't take him seriously.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Sykar Arcane

Sykar
    Parrots:
    What a load of bull. Empty maps are there for a purpose and they are sprinkled with maps which are full of things. FO had the world map together with the time wheel to give you a sense of isolation. UR does not have this and therefore Styg decided to have some more or less empty maps to give you the same sense when you are traveling around.

As to purpose, you have a clear cut goals/missions from start to finish, even though they change once or twice. You are free to follow the overarching story but you can get off the rails and explore elsewhere which will even get improved with the upcoming expansion.

As for NPCs, how is that different from FO? For the main quest you have a handfull of important NPCs, the rest are either fluff or for side quests.
    Also, define "important".

As to the Borrowers in GMS, that is highly dependant on your build and level and since you did not mention these I have to guess that you came back when you were severely overleveled for now. It is not just Gorsky who fears Borrowers but basically everyone else and if they get the jump on you and you have no antidotes you are basically fucked.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. ciox Learned

ciox
    Parrots:
    RPS review probably would have been shit no matter who wrote it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    Yeah, what was wrong with Fallout's UI? The inventory was a little bit of a drag, but otherwise I seem to recall its being extraordinarily approachable.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    Parrots:
    deterministic system > RNG

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Ezeekiel Arbiter

Ezeekiel
    Parrots:
    Yeah, inventory was a bit annoying but that's basically it as far as real genuine U.I. negatives go.

^ Top  
  24. luj1 Savant

luj1
    Parrots:
    Reading his twitter is better than this butthurt review

^ Top  
  25. Urthor Arbiter Patron

Urthor
    Parrots:
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I still feel like the walk speed in that game still not being fixed comes down to "we'll fix it for the expansion," and is by far the biggest reason I can't really recommend it. I don't know how you can't just double the animation frames on the legs and have the little fucker scuttle round like he's on ice, if I can speedhack the game for 4x move speed the game developer should enable that natively.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)