Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
When is release day for explansion? How how level you need to be for expansion?

Falksi

Arcane
The game is on sale so I must ask, is this game's game world as developed as Fallout or is it another generic isometric TB game with no focus on storytelling and character development (plot-wise)?

It's a great game, but that greatness does lie within the EXCELLENT combat, atmosphere & exploration. I personally found it to be very thin on story, and did at times struggle to stay interested because of the fairly thin roleplaying aspect.

Just seen it on Steam for £4 and for that price you would be utterly crazy not to give it a go though. Even if you're a storyfag like me you'll still get your money's worth at that price (I got 36 hours out of it)

Last edited:

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
The game is on sale so I must ask, is this game's game world as developed as Fallout or is it another generic isometric TB game with no focus on storytelling and character development (plot-wise)?

It's a great game, but that greatness does lie within the EXCELLENT combat, atmosphere & exploration. I personally found it to be very thin on story, and did at times struggle to stay interested because of the fairly thin roleplaying aspect.

Just seen it on Steam for £4 and for that price you would be utterly crazy not to give it a go. Even if you're a storyfag like me you'll still get your money's worth at that price (I got 36 hours out of it)

Yep. The point is -story suits the settings, not the other way around. It is mysterious and you want to know more as the game progresses, wondering what cataclysm created this underground hellhole. Is it generic -probably, is it servicable -it is. Like you said, even story fag will rate the story 5/10 maybe 6/10. For people who like combat, game is one of the best in its kind. Lack of party is not a bad thing, since you can focus 100% on one char.

ortucis

Prophet

Just seen it on Steam for £4 and for that price you would be utterly crazy not to give it a go. Even if you're a storyfag like me you'll still get your money's worth at that price (I got 36 hours out of it)

What a shame. I have no interest in Fallout-like TB combat, to be honest. But I can endure it if the world is interesting. Combat focused games do nothing for me, unless they are action-RPG's. I'll give it a pass then.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've said it again, UnderRail is like a (really good) turn-based Diablo.
You can take that and decide if it suits you or not.
I personally struggled to continue after a while because itemization and crafting etc are not on the top of my "fun" list

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
If you are unsure to spend 5 euro on a game that is praised by many people, well, you can always use "bay of pirates" play a little and if you like it, then buy the game[ive played like 200 hours on pirated copy, and then decided to buy it on sale, because i thought that it is worth to support the devs]. But honestly, 5 euro is nothing for such game. You have Rimworld for 30 euro, and i think Underrail is on par with the amount of fun you can get with different builds. It will only get better with expansion. And the game has map, DC is more manageable, so dont be afraid reading the old reviews, because they are skewed by the things ive mentioned.

ortucis

Prophet
If you are unsure to spend 5 euro on a game that is praised by many people, well, you can always use "bay of pirates" play a little and if you like it, then buy the game[ive played like 200 hours on pirated copy, and then decided to buy it on sale, because i thought that it is worth to support the devs]. But honestly, 5 euro is nothing for such game. You have Rimworld for 30 euro, and i think Underrail is on par with the amount of fun you can get with different builds. It will only get better with expansion. And the game has map, DC is more manageable, so dont be afraid reading the old reviews, because they are skewed by the things ive mentioned.

I'm not gonna pirate it, but I guess I'll do the 2 hr trial on Steam and refund if it's not for me.

I haven't been playing many RPG's (other than Grim Dawn) for a while and am hungry for one. Plus I DO like the skill system shown in the trailer.

EDIT: Downloading..

QHVgrMI.jpg

Last edited:

Tygrende

Arbiter
I'm not gonna pirate it, but I guess I'll do the 2 hr trial on Steam and refund if it's not for me.
Just a heads up, you won't experience much of the story/lore in the first 2 hours. While Underrail is definitely a combat-focused game, the story isn't half bad either and there's a ton of interesting lore. The thing is, it's usually in the form of small bits of info scattered around the world that you have to piece together yourself as you progress through the game to get the big picture. Also, a lot of the crucial bits are well hidden or only accessible by making mutually exclusive choices, so you won't learn everything there is to learn on your 1st playthrough.

ciox

Liturgist
Diablo? Come on now.
The non-hostile quests where you have to come up with creative solutions (Foundry murders) and ability to stealth your way through enemies to avoid them completely or to snatch the quest item... they put anything you had in the old Fallouts to shame, which seems to have been the point all along.

Niklasgunner

Savant
Midgame expansions are gay

Styg, make an RPG set in a cyberpunk world with underrails stealth and combat mechanics, the money prints itself :positive:

Jezal_k23

I don't get the criticism of the storyline. When I played it, I went into it expecting absolutely nothing from the story and was actually surprised by how solid it turned out to be. I loved the mysterious aspects of the plot and the threats that slowly emerged as you got through the game, and the sense I got of not knowing or fully understanding what was really happening behind the scenes. Who is the antagonist? What do they want? Hmmm... who is REALLY responsible for everything that's happening? These questions persist for a long time, and you might make a wrong answer at first if you don't pay attention to what's happening. I also love the amount of lore that is hidden away that inattentive players will definitely miss.

The main storyline, which was pretty great as far as I'm concerned, is enhanced and fueled by the excellent locations and worldbuilding within each. The game world is huge and feels real and lived in in ways I didn't expect. I thought a lot of the locations were incredible. There's also a sense of dread and darkness that permeates through the whole game that I loved too. Simply put, I don't think gameplay and combat are the only things this game does well. I don't think the game is weak or thin on story, since I consider experiencing the worldbuilding and learning about the world as an essential part of the story that you have to go through. Maybe, and I mean maybe, you could dislike the main plot if you rush through it without doing or experiencing anything else, because then you'd miss the game's most interesting aspects. I don't mean to imply that people who disliked the story rushed through the game, but I honestly don't get how else you'd come away from the game thinking it was paper thin. I mean, that's why I don't like to judge the main plot on its own, because it takes diving way deeper into the world to understand the things that are happening.

About the first few hours specifically, yeah I guess they will be light on story (but not on lore, since the game gives you a chance to learn a little about the world from the get-go, giving you an inkling of how massive and detailed these aspects will turn out to be), but the slow burn approach to it is another thing I like. Basically, I love the game, including the story. It might be my 2018 GOTY.

Last edited by a moderator:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
"Mysterious aspects of the plot" is just a way of saying that plot is so thin, that to experience any story at all you have to fill out the numerous empty parts with your own imaginary stories.

I didn't rush through anything, dilligently cleared everything that was to clear, and 99% of the time I had no idea what the game is about, what is even going on and why the fuck would I care about anything. But the combat was good so I kept going anyway.

Underrail has no coherent narrative, writing is barebones and full of generic fetch quest. Anybody pretending otherwise is full of doodoo.

Trashos

Arcane

I don't know what some of the other guys are talking about. The story and the world-building are exceptionally rich and interesting. HOWEVER, there is a lot of combat and there is no avoiding it (well, you can sometimes sneak by, but not always). So if you are not into turn-based combat, there is a good chance you won't be able to enjoy the story. But that's a very different thing to having a poor story.

(UR's combat is much deeper and better than Fallout's, btw. But if it's not your cup of tea, well...)

Tygrende

Arbiter
I didn't rush through anything, dilligently cleared everything that was to clear, and 99% of the time I had no idea what the game is about, what is even going on and why the fuck would I care about anything.
That sounds like a you problem.

Underrail has no coherent narrative, writing is barebones and full of generic fetch quest. Anybody pretending otherwise is full of doodoo.
I'll make you a deal: Make a list of fetch quests in Underrail and I'll make a list of fetch quests in Fallout 1&2. Let's start with the first half of the main questline of both games for example.

Trashos

Arcane

This is just not the case, man.

On the quests, I 've had this discussion before: The quest setup is usually simple (go there, explore), but the way each quest plays out is impressively distinctive and well-done, more so than any other game probably. Most of the quests have their twist (take over turrets, use power armor dreadnought, mine for fuel, capture specimens, defend warehouse with allies etc-etc)

On the story, I think you probably didn't enjoy the combat and didn't have the mind to pay attention to it? The story and the characters are not generic at all, they are the opposite of generic!

Serus

Arcane
Patron

What a shame. I have no interest in Fallout-like TB combat, to be honest. But I can endure it if the world is interesting. Combat focused games do nothing for me, unless they are action-RPG's. I'll give it a pass then.
It's only "Fallout-like TB combat" in the most broad sense. As in it's TB and you control one character. Other than that, it's not really very similar to Fallout 1 or 2. It's a lot richer in options, a lot better gameplay-wise. Though not that satisfactory to look at I'm afraid, in that one aspect Fallout 1 & 2 clearly win.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Story is very basic and to be honest it doesn't draw you in and the whole game revolves around finding, using or crafting loot. And of course the combat that revolves around this.
The combat is great but that is UnderRail. And yes it has a lot similar with Diablo in that aspect. Unless there is any reactivity or C&C that I missed somehow?

Also the comparison with the Fallout games is pointless, we've covered that many times already. It only shares the fact that it's turn based with them.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Story is very basic and to be honest it doesn't draw you in and the whole game revolves around finding, using or crafting loot. And of course the combat that revolves around this.
The combat is great but that is UnderRail. And yes it has a lot similar with Diablo with most non-storyfag CRPGs in the history of the genre in that aspect. Unless there is any reactivity or C&C that I missed somehow?

Also the comparison with the Fallout games is pointless, we've covered that many times already. It only shares the fact that it's turn based with them.
Corrected it because you clearly didn't think it through.
I mean seriously?
"Underrail is similar to Diablo", you heard it on the Codex. It's a ridiculous comparison. If simply a CRPG being combat focused is enough to say said CRPG is "having a lot of similar with Diablo" then majority of CRPGs from early Wizardries to Pathfinder: Kingmaker have "a lot similar with Diablo". Which is an utterly meaningless point.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I'll make you a deal: Make a list of fetch quests in Underrail and I'll make a list of fetch quests in Fallout 1&2. Let's start with the first half of the main questline of both games for example.

I'm glad hat you gave up on a hopeless task of pretending that Underrail's writing is worth anything and instead try to defend it by counting quests.

On the story, I think you probably didn't enjoy the combat and didn't have the mind to pay attention to it? The story and the characters are not generic at all, they are the opposite of generic!

Mate, I literally just said that I kept playing because combat was good. And that's an understatement, Underrail's combat is one of the best the entire TB genre has to offer.

But story is so limited, simple and non-imaginative that nothing of value would be lost if it didn't exist at all.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
The combat is great but that is UnderRail. And yes it has a lot similar with Diablo with most non-storyfag CRPGs in the history of the genre in that aspect. Unless there is any reactivity or C&C that I missed somehow?

Corrected it because you clearly didn't think it through.
I mean seriously?
"Underrail is similar to Diablo", you heard it on the Codex. It's a ridiculous comparison. If simply a CRPG being combat focused is enough to say said CRPG is "having a lot of similar with Diablo" then majority of CRPGs from early Wizardries to Pathfinder: Kingmaker have "a lot similar with Diablo". Which is an utterly meaningless point.
I've thought about it multiple times. I find a lot of similarities with UnderRail and Diablo (maybe 2 is even closer). Apart from the turn-based/real-time difference of course.
- Single character, combat focused CRPGs
- Linear "light" storyline that moves you through areas to fight harder enemies
- Looting and char builds is the absolute focus of the game
- Crafting is also a big part of the gameplay (thus Diablo 2 is closer)
- No C&C or world reactivity or branching storyline or anything of the sort
- Highly replayable due to gameplay loop

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom