Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie VAPORUM - Steampunk Dungeon Crawler

Tibor

Fatbot Games
Developer
https://www.vaporum-game.com

https://af.gog.com/game/vaporum?as=1649904300

Hey, RPGcodex.net members! :)

I'd like to introduce to you our game project, Vaporum, a dungeon crawler in a steampunk setting.
We have been at work on the game for about 2 months and are ready to share it with the world now.

Below are a few screenshots and a gameplay video.

screenshot1small.png

screenshot2small.png

If we caught your fancy, make sure to follow us on:

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/VaporumGame
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vaporum
and the official web page: http://www.vaporum-game.com/
We want your feedback and we are ready to listen!

Please share, like and spread the word.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Looks potentially interesting, but it would help if you had a bit more to say about, you know, the actual game instead of just advertising it and linking your facebook and twitter. Like what your goals and inspirations are, what makes your game distinct and worth following, what the mechanics (combat and character development, if any) are like, etc. I couldn't get any of that from the trailer.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Dwemer ruins vibes. Could be nice.

I think you'll need to explain combat and systems to garner any interest here tho. It's hard to make out from the video, other than it looks like a single character Grimrock.

I'm guessing Kickstarter (or something similar) is abound... :lol:

Seriously, if you want attention here you need to say something about gameplay and game, like others said. It does seem like a potentially interesting setting but except real time combat (I personally don't like it) we don't know anything about the game...

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Uh.. I guess the setting is nice for a dungeon crawl, but having real time + single character focus means it will probably be even more boring than Grimrock's combat...

And combat was Grimrock's weakest point, too.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmm ... a screenshot featuring a crate ...

Are you married to the name Vaporum? A small studio putting together a project with 'vaporware' practically right there in the name ... maybe not such a great marketing idea ... just a thought.

I like steampunk settings - will check out the promo video when I get home. Good luck Tibor.

Nyast

Cipher
Cool, love dungeon drawlers, especially real time ones. If I had one criticism about the trailer it'd be how dark it is. I know you probably went for the mood, but not being able to see anything besides 5m in front of me is kinda worrying.

Hormalakh

Magister
when i think steampunk, i don't necessarily think Grimrock. would definitely think about variable settings like in a zepplin, within a city, etc. Too little information otherwise to really make much of a comment.

I also thought Vaporum was a joke name because of its connotations with vaporware. "Give us your money to kickstart this game and we'll never see you again!"

Eyeball

Arcane
Protip: Grimrock is a piece of shit with its sidestep-for-10-hours-or-die gameplay. Do NOT copy this, as it looks like you might.

Other than that, definitely looks interesting. Not sold on the enemy design of the Little helicopter thing though, looks dull.

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Vaporum? Really? Do you even believe in this game yourself?

But ok, I like puzzle-infested dungen crawlers so you could convince me to be interested in this by sharing a bit more info. Even the webpage doesn't have anything, so are you really ready to share it with the world?

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Protip: Grimrock is a piece of shit with its sidestep-for-10-hours-or-die gameplay. Do NOT copy this, as it looks like you might.

Other than that, definitely looks interesting. Not sold on the enemy design of the Little helicopter thing though, looks dull.
Grimrock is a great game and there is a ton of exploration and puzzle solving, not just combat you dumb fuk.

Comte

I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Rapture Vaporum

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Make it Turn based, and we might have something potentially interesting
Hate to pull a Metro, but get fucked.

Grimrock is a great game and there is a ton of exploration and puzzle solving, not just combat you dumb fuk.
But what combat there is, is not especially good.
But not terrible either. And large chunk of your time is spent finding your way around and solving puzzles. It's not a ten hour side step gameplay. Not ever frikkin thing has to be turn based.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But not terrible either. And large chunk of your time is spent finding your way around and solving puzzles. It's not a ten hour side step gameplay. Not ever frikkin thing has to be turn based.
Yeah, but the RT combat is not very good. I am not advocating a switch to TB for this game or LoG2, I want them to make the combat better while keeping it RT. As I have written above, steal from DM/CSB.

You are the one with the tag bro.

Hate to pull a Metro, but get fucked.
:butthurt:

But what combat there is, is not especially good.
Square Dancing Twitch fest. Atleast if combat was TB (and horrible like grimrock) I could get drunk and buzz through it. Shitty RT combat has to be endured sober.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Square Dancing Twitch fest. Atleast if combat was TB (and horrible like grimrock) I could get drunk and buzz through it. Shitty RT combat has to be endured sober.
What's so shitty again? And don't give me that exaggerated twitch fest dancing crap. Not once did i find the combat tedious or annoying in Grimrock so i am curious.

What's so shitty again? And don't give me that exaggerated twitch fest dancing crap. Not once did i find the combat tedious or annoying in Grimrock so i am curious.
please ask evdk why shity rt combat in grimrock is shit, since he clearly has played a lot more grimrock than me. He is a fan of the game FFS, and admits its shit rt combat.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
please ask evdk why shity rt combat in grimrock is shit, since he clearly has played a lot more grimrock than me. He is a fan of the game FFS, and admits its shit rt combat.
Square dancing can be fun, at times, but when it becomes the only method of surviving combat it gets old pretty past. The Grimrock combat needs some variety - revamp the damage equations to allow for tanking, design some skills for the monsters to make kiting not the ideal option 100% of the time, create some area control spells/skills, anything. Grimrock combat degenerated into "lure a solitary monster to a 2x2 space and dance around it" pretty fast, with just a few infrequent exceptions.

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The combat in Grimrock is largely trivialized by the overreliance on combat mambo but I'm not sure how fixable that is considering how prominent the real time movement element is in its puzzle desing. Honestly I just view the puzzle and exploration aspect of it as much more important than the combat so I'm hoping that's the focus in the sequel. Maybe they could try to make a stronger divide between enemies that you only fight and enemies that are mostly obstacles in puzzles, making the former much more resilient to flanking.

Last edited:

Eyeball

Arcane

You dismiss JA2 and the entire HOMM series. Your opinion on anything is irrelevant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom