Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's an RPG praised by the Codex that you're reluctant to try?

Ysaye

Arbiter
Old blobbers without map functionality. Some of them are supposedly classics, but fuck if I'm going to buy graph paper.

Well then you could just memorize the maps, or make some graph paper by using lines in Excel or something and printing off at work.

Elminage Gothic - I tried it and it seemed unplayable. My main reaction was bewilderment.

Dark Souls - haven't tried any of them yet, albeit I bought the first part. They look too action-y and every youtuber seems to be a fan (many people have tens of those DS vids which nobody is watching).

I was bewildered the first time with Elminage Gothic and uninstalled it. I then went back a year later, set myself the goal of getting to the end of the first dungeon (There are some very confusing bits on the second and third levels), and then I found it was really fun.

With respect to Dark Souls and it being too action-y, the first time I played it again I was like "what?" (similar reaction to Elminage) - the first boss seemed impossible (I died probably 20 times in a row - I was playing a mage which probably didn't help, also I didn't work out how to run or target spells). I gave up and didn't try again for three months. I then came back, I started to understand what was going on, and I found the unfolding sections and areas to be balancing up the difficulty. You can also grind up levels (and/or play as a sorcerer) in the game to solve a lot of the various problems. Again I eventually got into it.

But yes ultimately I can understand the sentiments you have expressed.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Grimoire (No hardcore enough for it)

AoD (I actually tried this one and I occasionally praise it but it's still CYOA shit)

Darklands

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Deus Ex.
Human Revolution really fucking sucks, and so I can't motivate myself to play what everybody says is a far superior entry to the franchise.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Dark Souls - haven't tried any of them yet, albeit I bought the first part. They look too action-y and every youtuber seems to be a fan (many people have tens of those DS vids which nobody is watching).
If you don't like action, then you won't like it. Everything is combat. However, if you have a stomach for it, the combat is best in class.

But for the thinking man, what really makes Dark Souls worth playing is the lore that drenches every single pixel on the screen. You can't help but think about its meaning deeply, and you will connect with it emotionally. Note: I like Chris Avellonne as much as anybody else, but if your only conception of a "good story" is spoonfeeding via dialogue and exposition, then you won't appreciate it. So bear that in mind.

Oh, and there's also a great skill system, vast differences in equipment, lots of menus, meaningful C&C... all the stuff that goes into an RPG. Dark Souls hits all the RPG notes more than adequately.

Master

Arbiter
But for the thinking man, what really makes Dark Souls worth playing is the lore that drenches every single pixel on the screen. You can't help but think about its meaning deeply, and you will connect with it emotionally.
:shredder:
I am not ready yet for such magnificence

gaussgunner

Arcane
Grimoire (No hardcore enough for it)

AoD (I actually tried this one and I occasionally praise it but it's still CYOA shit)

Darklands

VD is a bro but you are right about AoD. He spent 10 years making the Codex's perfect game, and it did garner high praise here, but it just proves the point of this thread.

I tried Darklands too. It's the opposite of AoD, a randomly generated grindfest. And the RTwP combat is even lamer than Serpent in the Staglands. Proof that old shit doesn't always age well.

Haven't tried Grimoire. I'd rather play Wizardry 7 again and try to finish this time. I picked up 6+7 in a GOG sale years ago, tried 6 first cause I never played it in the 90s but I couldn't get into it, too primitive.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Basically any game that never seems to be finished. Purchasers are expected to act as paying beta testers these days so by the time I've waited for a game to appear relatively stable (Atom, Kingmaker) I've usually lost interest in favour of the next big shiny. That's way I never play games - just pay for them.

Deleted Member 16721

If you don't like action, then you won't like it. Everything is combat. However, if you have a stomach for it, the combat is best in class.

But for the thinking man, what really makes Dark Souls worth playing is the lore that drenches every single pixel on the screen. You can't help but think about its meaning deeply, and you will connect with it emotionally. Note: I like Chris Avellonne as much as anybody else, but if your only conception of a "good story" is spoonfeeding via dialogue and exposition, then you won't appreciate it. So bear that in mind.

Oh, and there's also a great skill system, vast differences in equipment, lots of menus, meaningful C&C... all the stuff that goes into an RPG. Dark Souls hits all the RPG notes more than adequately.

What's the best Dark Souls game? Can you tell me about the differences between the 3? I would want the one that is most RPG-like. Also, do you need to play them in order to get the full story, or can they be played independently?

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

What's the best Dark Souls game? Can you tell me about the differences between the 3? I would want the one that is most RPG-like. Also, do you need to play them in order to get the full story, or can they be played independently?

This is entire story in a nutshell.

ds: 1 https://youtu.be/-x2EeiJE8DY?t=51
ds: 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6c4ZuMg79g
ds: 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXfRA5p8yQs

Last edited:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

The less you know about them, the better. Play the 1st and the 3rd, and if you really liked them play the 2nd too.

Deleted Member 16721

The less you know about them, the better. Play the 1st and the 3rd, and if you really liked them play the 2nd too.

Thanks! I didn't want to know much about them, I like going in blind, but I did want to know which ones to play. Appreciate the response. :)

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
You can play them all independently and get the picture, but you'll understand 2 and 3 much better if you play 1 first. Ranking the overall lore, 1 > 3 > 2. If I were you, I'd play 1 first. If you like it, then go chronologically. All the DLC is fantastic.

Dark Souls is the best in the series. I wish I could go back and time and discover that world for the first time again. Here are some key qualities that differentiate it from the others:
- combat is slower than other entries
- healing resources are more limited than other entries
- covenants are covenants -- breaking a covenant has consequences
- resistance is a useless stat unless you're playing a highly specialized low-level build
- a couple frustrating boss/miniboss design choices
- best NPC quest lines in the series
- best metroidvania dungeon ever made by a longshot
- binary endgame C&C

Dark Souls 2 is a very good game, and I liked it a lot.
- theoretically infinite healing resources
- more straightforward map that only really shines in a few areas
- best covenants in the series from a gameplay perspective, though they felt a little more boring that DS1's in their lore
- all stats are useful
- no endgame C&C

Dark Souls 3 ended the series perfectly.
- fastest and most fluid combat of the series
- best boss battles of the series
- all stats are useful
- magic system redone in a way that makes for tough decisions on stat investments and resource allocation
- covenants aren't that great
- map is somewhere between 1 and 2 in terms of quality
- best endgame C&C choices in the series

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

Thank ye Harvey. When I'm gaming again I will play the first game first.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Demon's Souls is the best Souls game. It's also the most RPG-like.

Ee6NGcp.jpg

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

Play 1 and 2. You can skip 3. If you want more after those 2 play Demon's Souls.

can it be emulated?

Yes. Download RPCS3.

NatureOfMan

Educated
Oh I've always been reluctant to try the Gold Box games too up until today actually. Just started Pool of Radiance and I must say that my period of adaption is probably not going to be pretty but I am a D&D type of a guy and I really like the combat system so I will persevere. I will surely like the game at the end but later D&D titles like Dark Sun do things so much better.

Zer0wing

Cipher
1. anything Bioware - Feels like I'll just abandon playing past prologue, happened with ME1 & DA:O. The tone they set up for their stories is so serious and pretentiously epic I start questioning myself if they themselves were serious and cared enough when they made their games and if not why should I.
1.1 Infinity Engine - Only finished Planescape: Torment, abandoned BG trilogy, not sure if Icewind Dale any better.
2. Darklands - dear god, my eyes. This mess of pixel-art is even more unintelligeble than Centurion: Defender of Rome.
3. Albion - eclectic furry fap material is not my cup of tea.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
anything released before Gothic 1 I have to force myself to give a shot and most of them I drop several hours into the game
it's like ancient people didn't know how to make games fun or some shit

Gothic - 2001
Fallout - 1997

Are you retarded?

Silentstorm

Learned
Old blobbers without map functionality. Some of them are supposedly classics, but fuck if I'm going to buy graph paper.

Well then you could just memorize the maps, or make some graph paper by using lines in Excel or something and printing off at work.
You still need to look at them, but yeah, many blobbers pratically have maps online to help people who don't want to make them, just need to be careful to not get lost.

Anyways, the first three Elder Scrolls games, not sure how big they are in here, honestly, but man, as someone who isn't a big fan of the most recent games in the franchise, the older ones aren't that much better looking.

Everything about them just makes it feel like they have worse interfaces, controls and when i hear real time combat revolving around dice rolls i just shudder, i hate the idea of swinging at an enemy and missing when the enemy doesn't even try to dodge, just for that alone i have trouble starting Morrowind.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
As for games I'm wary about because they're recommended by the Codex, I'd put Underrail at the very top. It seems catered to and custom-made for the Fallout 1/2 fanboys/autistics who played that series over & over & over & over again, and showed borderline clinical insanity by using mods that restored cut content in FO2.

Your describing ATOM RPG...

Underrail is a quality game in its own right, and sucks for you if you miss out on playing it. There is a world of difference between 'inspired by' and 'slavishly copying'.

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
Anything with fantasy elements in it. I can handle fantasy in books but in games it’s just too cringey.

I also couldn’t get behind Underrail. It seems too heavily combat/stealth oriented to me. Is a diplomatic playthrough even possible?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom