Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's an RPG praised by the Codex that you're reluctant to try?

Silentstorm

Learned
Anything before Fallout sounds right for me. I'm not keen of the age of hotkeys and no mouse input.
Yeah, the younger someone is or the younger someone's first CRPG was, the harder it is to get into the old games, their UI, controls and such weren't exactly the stuff of legends, of course, they still have their good points and some developers have taken to bringing them to a newer audience like Bard's Tale Trilogy being remastered.

Though i think the same could be said with many games, not just CRPG's, it just feels like that is one genre whose classics are really hard for new people or newbies to get into, i still remember reading that one article about college students playing Ultima IV for the first time a few years back and having an utterly miserable time with it while they accepted Infocom games and Defender, and part of me went "...yeah, that makes sense" when reading that.

Molina

Savant
Kingdom Come: Deliverance. The lack of magic just puts me off.
Same reason. The late Middle Ages never attracted me, really. And in fact, it's often the setting that keeps me away from playing RPG, more than gameplay. Underrail for exemple have lot of fun mechanics, but... the grimmy world is not for me.
Same for Stalker or wasteland 2.

It's just depressing to see so much post apo, while good High Fantasy are quite rare and other settings are largely under-exploited.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, the younger someone is or the younger someone's first CRPG was, the harder it is to get into the old games, their UI, controls and such weren't exactly the stuff of legends, of course, they still have their good points and some developers have taken to bringing them to a newer audience like Bard's Tale Trilogy being remastered.

Lands of Lore and Betrayal at Krondor were my first PC RPGs and it's very hard for me to play stuff from before then. It mostly is the interface, as said, and also stuff like no auto-map or mouse input. When you're used to having that stuff from day one it's very hard to go without it decades later. Vast majority of the population can't get into things made before their time though, so I don't feel unique or guilty about it. Not just games but movies, music, whatever. There's always some asshat who chimes in "NOT ME I LOVE SINATRA" or whatever but as a generalization, it's usually very rare. I'm into movies much older than I am, so that's my big contribution to time traveling tastes.

Silentstorm

Learned

Lands of Lore and Betrayal at Krondor were my first PC RPGs and it's very hard for me to play stuff from before then. It mostly is the interface, as said, and also stuff like no auto-map or mouse input. When you're used to having that stuff from day one it's very hard to go without it decades later. Vast majority of the population can't get into things made before their time though, so I don't feel unique or guilty about it. Not just games but movies, music, whatever. There's always some asshat who chimes in "NOT ME I LOVE SINATRA" or whatever but as a generalization, it's usually very rare. I'm into movies much older than I am, so that's my big contribution to time traveling tastes.
Yeah, i recall hearing a retro gaming podcast describe CRPG's as extra crusty or hard to get into due to their interface and controls not being the best, even dungeon crawlers with automapping had their own quirks that make them harder to get into.

It's a shame, but that's what ended up happening, even some more simple genres like platformers tend to have newer people appreciate the newer stuff more, games like Freedom Planet and Shovel Knight are more acessible than many NES games.

That being said, i feel like arcade games, Atari 2600 games and puzzle games aged the least, mostly thanks to mobiles having a lot of simple games alongside puzzle games and them being popular on those making it easier for kids to get into them, then again, i get the feeling that smartphones and tablets are starting to go into more complex games even amongst the casual crowd so who knows if that will continue to be the case later on.

Mychkine

Educated
Kingdom Come : Delivrance is the one game I may never try, even if I have nothing against the 1st player perspective action RPG style. I'm simply not interested in playing a medieval RPG with no fantastic element.
Otherwise, and since I started RPG with M&M3, I find it hard to play most older RPG games, mostly due to cluncky interface issues (and lack of motivation to learn how to map using graph paper).

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Kingdom Come. Medieval RPG without even slight hints of fantasy/Mysticism/Horror is as exciting as bland oatmeal.... As appetising as unseasoned mashed potatos.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
I’m not huge on high skill action games.
Now this is a "meme". I can only speak for DS but beyond the maybe jarring first taste (wtf a random enemy killed me?!? AGAIN?!?) the game is mostly as hard as you want it to be; Also the game doesn't really get harder while you get better/char gets stronger. It ain't no Ninja Gaiden or Contra or some shit.

For me BG1/2, generic fantasy stuff with a serving of rtwp? God knows I tried for a bit but no.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's no specific game that I wouldn't try, but I'm less inclined to play blobbers and roguelikes these days.

That doesn't mean that I can't give a game in said genres a try.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom