Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's the best combat encounter in a game ever?

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Fallout 3's Colonel Autumn

Never before were the stakes so high in a video game.

:shitposting:

You know FO3 was not memorable when someone mentions the best combat encounter of it and you have to google some wiki page to remember, after having completed it 2 times....

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
lynette.gif

I honestly just shoved an active Grenade in her pants and ran off.... But it was still an epic fight.... The cunt.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Orc and Hobgoblin assault in Sokal Keep from Pool of Radiance.
Fucking this. Best advertisement for Fireball ever.

Mulmaster Beholder Corps was hilarious battle.

The three waves of battles at the climax of Pools of Darkness including the fight with Gothmenes and his minions of Bane.
I hate climax battle, because replayed it around 15 times, winning every time. Don't ask, it was a problem of text scrolling and computer fast enough to mangle that piece of text but not fast enough to use DosBox or slowmo.

P.S.
Safav Hamon should be prosperized.

DemonKing

Arcane
ToEE had some good encounters - like the bottom of the moathouse and the tower outside the temple itself but was generally let down by the slavish attachment to the original D&D module that meant you spent most of your time fighting bugbears.

If we go outside the realm of CRPGs I would nominate the Surface Tension level of HL (happy 20th birthday) as a continuing roller-coaster of combat delight or some of the set-piece battles against the replicants of the original FEAR.

Twizman

Scholar
I enjoyed the Zio battle in Phantasy Star IV. The Bandit Camp encounter in BG1 with sword coast stratagems.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
wait

aren't you the tactical combat fag who cannot into story :lol:

I can into story. I'm no doubt more well-read and a better writer than you are. I just value combat more. And no one, except maybe Avellone himself, has been honest enough to cover/criticize PS:T combat in detail before, because they're useless storyfags that don't even begin to understand it, so I thought I'd undertake to do so. I hope that's ok with you, scrubbo.

Wait, what? Who the hell was lying to themselves about PS:T’s combat? It’s always been poorly regarded even by the game’s greatest admirers. No one bothered doing a deep dive into its failings because no one plays it for the combat.

By the same token, you could dissect the inadequacies of JA2’s dialogue, but what would be the point?

laclongquan

Arcane
This is the one post for the sake of purely to troll the antiRTwP fags around here:

UFO Afterlight, the excavator mission to investigate why robots keep appearing at this site.

You enter the site as normal and combat the robot, most of which is scorpion type like normal.

You kill the particularly durable humanoid robot fiddling around with a panel. Since he's very tough but not responding to farther enemies, your party gradually gather near him to kill faster... Thus when he die and trigger the end animation, which is opening a spatial gate to let a bunch of very high level enemies in, and each wave higherlevel than the last.

So you have to run like Bolt to the ufo to get away. Depend on how wounded your chars are, and their positions, some might even get killed.

That's the setting. The challenge is: knowing what a clusterfuck it's going to happen, what you gonna do?

The best weapon at the time is TNT dynamites. You can set mines at correct position and timing to ensure when it go off it cover most area. And you need them to go off in wave in order to deal with at least two wave or three. Not every game is the same, because they can appear randomly in random forms. A worm can be one stealthy small sized death that kill you without you realize they are at your side. And they can escape death by being small behind a slightly higher terrain.

You also need to recover loots in term of weapons and alien bodies, because it will save so much time later. But they can be quite heavy so you need to calculate well.

It's a dance of destruction where you move through blossoms of romantic booms and hidden killer.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Lilura every time you respond to me, you delete your posts before I have a chance to read them. My inner masochist feels deeply disappointed.

Please, shiv away.

People play it for the deep and thought provoking story, which is neither deep or thought provoking.

No. They play it for the weird, entertaining, emotionally engaging story. You seem to be under the impression that PS:T fans think they’re consuming some kind of knockoff digital version of Camus, which couldn’t be further from the truth. PS:T’s story has emotional resonance and that’s why it’s so popular.

Again, how can someone who loves Deadfire say this stuff with a straight face? Both POE games bend over backwards to be deep and thought provoking (tm) and they both fail to achieve either result.

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Two from IWD2. These encounters always made me realise the potential wasted in this game:

1. The entire opening mission to defend the town from goblin armies. It is fantastically scripted and makes you feel always in danger and in hurry.
2. Battle at the Shengarn bridge. Xuki tells you she wants to talk and resolve things peacefully. If you allow her to talk, in the usual RPG fashion; talking solves everything, right?; she uses the time to blow the bridge up. If you attack the bridge immediately, you can save it. This is one of the best genre-bending experiences I ever had.

I wonder if Sawyer wrote these. If he did, he was a genius for a while there.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Interesting question.. I think I'd separate them into memorable and actually "good" encounters.

For example BG1&2 have both good and memorable ones. When I first played BG1 I was pretty young so the sudden rape from that mage and his magic missiles on the stairs early on is pretty memorable...
Another memorable one is the Lich/Demilich, Kangaxx in BG2. I still remember the POOF imprisonment shock :P

But yes for GOOD fights... JA2 is the boss. And the fun part is that they can vary depending on choices a lot

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Both POE games bend over backwards to be deep and thought provoking (tm) and they both fail to achieve either result.

this is true, but you can also just run around shooting things in the face with muskets and building up your stronghold. That's not the case with PS:T.

Only shit tier anal retentives like Lilura try to disassemble PS:T's combat to play it 'the right way' with it still being shit because, among other things, you can beat it with shit tactics and without cheese just fine.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Only shit tier anal retentives like Lilura try to disassemble PS:T's combat to play it 'the right way' with it still being shit because, among other things, you can beat it with shit tactics and without cheese just fine.

My two above-linked write-ups have proved your shitpost to be a patent lie, dumbfuck.

I am the authoritative commentator for the Infinity Engine, not you. I get one million views per year, not you. When people want to know about Infinity Engine games, they go to my blog, not you. 10 years from now, people will be reading my commentary, not your shitposts and lies.

You are but a shitposter lost in the shuffle - a non-entity; a nothing - whose ignorance has been proven in this thread twice already.

Big Wrangle

Battle at the Shengarn bridge. Xuki tells you she wants to talk and resolve things peacefully. If you allow her to talk, in the usual RPG fashion; talking solves everything, right?; she uses the time to blow the bridge up. If you attack the bridge immediately, you can save it. This is one of the best genre-bending experiences I ever had.
Completely forgot about that tbh, since IWD is combat-focused I was like "man fuck this" and went for the attack. That was actually a pretty nice feature.

Incendax

Augur
And no one, except maybe Avellone himself, has been honest enough to cover/criticize PS:T combat in detail before, because they're useless storyfags that don't even begin to understand it, so I thought I'd undertake to do so.
Bashing PS:T combat happens so often it’s basically a meme.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted

My two above-linked write-ups have proved your shitpost to be a patent lie, dumbfuck.

I am the authoritative commentator for the Infinity Engine, not you. I get one million views per year, not you. When people want to know about Infinity Engine games, they go to my blog, not you. 10 years from now, people will be reading my commentary, not your shitposts and lies.

You are but a shitposter lost in the shuffle - a non-entity; a nothing - whose ignorance has been proven in this thread twice already.

I gotta be honest I normally don't find you a bad poster and I really can't tell if you're trolling with all this blog shit but I gotta block you.

WAY too much aspergers coming out of you.

Maybe in a few months I'll give you another chance but the autism is off the charts here.

marcuz

Two Bits Kid
Developer
- Frogs in the moathouse in TOEE. Completely unexpected!
- The marauders in Perihelion, first and second encounters in game: brutal, but also beautifully prepared in tone

Funny how with all games I played only these two stuck in mind.

There are some beautifully prepared in the gold box series too, but I can't pinpoint them in game or actual encounter, while I remember only situations (Manshoon tower and Moander Body in Pool of Darkness, The encounter with Tasselhoff Burfoot in Champions of Krynn, while - I think - the flying fortress is falling, the dark knights in the city in Curse of the Azure Bonds or Secret of the Silver Blades...)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom