Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's the best combat encounter in a game ever?

laclongquan

Arcane
Icewind Dale 2 The Lost Followers optional battle

You got 6 mini bosses of different type. Do you target the casters first? Or the summoners who keep calling for more? Or the hard hitting melee fighter?

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
The end of Ultima 3 when you have to use those cards and shit.

Also I really enjoy the modded(SCS/Tactics) Torgal battle in BG2. You're usually mid level and shit can get out of hand.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
If you're not using sound tactics, shit can get out of hand in many RPG encounters. Don't see what's special about SCS Torgal; not sure why you singled it out.

My 12th level party took him down on Core rules.

torgal.jpg

Source. SCS is pretty overrated because it can be brute-forced. Some of this is due to engine limitations, but I don't think SCS is "elite", like a lot of Dexers do. Pity there aren't more modders making tactics mods. I'm sure someone could do better than SCS.

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
Improved Irenicus in Hell part of tactics mod was pretty hard battle to win, I soloed it with figther mage.

Improved Illych battle was also tough.

Weimer sure knew how to make tough battles.

Dorateen

Arcane

You got 6 mini bosses of different type. Do you target the casters first? Or the summoners who keep calling for more? Or the hard hitting melee fighter?

Or grab the Holy Avenger from the grave right at the start of the battle, and stab Atalaclys the Lost in the face.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Probably something on Baten Kaitos. I didn't catch it on its time, but the game seems cool. And edgy.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I was going to go with something classic but there's a good reason why Alicesoft's won my heart, and why Rance X is GotY 2018~

My most strategic battle ever:
rx101.png

My craziest battle ever:
rx131.png

My closest final boss fight ever~
rx065.png

And my proudest victory ever (round fucking 74!)~
rx_005.png

Of course, not just Rance X, from Rance VI the toughest "fair" no gimmick fight in an rpg:
j0lo4h.jpg

And from Sengoku Rance, I would have gone with the Orochi fight except that's a bs gimmick fight, so my 2nd proudest rpg victory, beating the Takeda blitz on turn 25:
xYpTYX.png

KzpvGr.png

DBihmh.png

QJwOE9.png

Also the Izumo Challenge fight is pretty legitimate too, but I lost my pictures from that.

laclongquan

Arcane

As a rule of thumb, go for the Wizard first.

Or grab the Holy Avenger from the grave right at the start of the battle, and stab Atalaclys the Lost in the face.

Or use summons to delay all others so party can concentrate on the summoner, whoever that is. The summon and the sniper will disrupt other casters. Veddion, Kaervas can be stalled for later. You totally can summon at the entry point and do a full buff prepartion, so use those fodders to stall whoever need it.

The problem with using Cera Summat is that it's not that damaging, not in the "one round one kill" requirement. Compare it to Kyosti Spear in a polearm expert's hands, for example. Or hell, Halberd of the North.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom