Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Xenonauts 2

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by Tzaero, Jul 31, 2015.

1. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Voted top-down, as should anyone who actually likes strategy.

I like how open Goldhawk is with their development, it's as if they're actually listening to the community in a thoughtful manner.

I do hope they return to multiple dropships, while I'm agnostic about the shared resources across the bases. It is a simplification to the mechanics, but per-base resources can be annoying, and not a fun management layer to interact with. On the other hand, having the manage those logistics, schedule air transport for general cargo, sounds like a reasonable abstraction and could be entertaining if done correctly.

Have a new forward base that can't support itself yet and you're scheduling round the clock air drops of material? Get ready for your C-130s (or whatever) to generate more UFO encounters and/or elevate the risk of base attacks for the forward and supply bases.

Ok, I'm not agnostic - I think shared resources is a negative simplification. If we were expected to have 10+ bases, then yes it would be a nuisance - but who really has more than 5 to 7 bases in X1 anyway?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Master of Orion 2 and its freighters could qualify in a pinch.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Darth Roxor I've never played MOO2, is this an adequate description of those mechanics?

• Yes Yes x 2
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Yes, but freighters are also used when you transfer citizens between planets, so e.g. reckless long-range migration can accidentally result in a terrible famine somewhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Epic exclusive when?

It's a shame that this has become a real danger for most projects by now.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    Wouldn't restriction to single troop transport cause inevitably nu-X-com like "3 missions, pick 1"-situations?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Edija Savant Patron

Edija
    Wasn't this supposed to be out already?

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Probably, and it's a really stupid gamey limitation, so I hope it won't come to that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. geno Educated

geno
    Show Spoiler

After just over two weeks and almost 2000 votes, our X2 base mechanics poll has closed and the results are overwhelmingly in favour of the classic base mechanics. We are therefore starting work on these new base mechanics immediately in the hope of switching them over before our Early Access launch.

[​IMG]
    The results of our base mechanics poll!
    The results of the poll can be seen above and were broadly in line with what we were expecting, with a majority of people voting for the classic mechanics and almost as many voting that the developers should make the decision. As our position was that reverting to the classic mechanics would be a good thing, almost 90% of the votes were therefore in favour of changing the base mechanics.

If you're interested in the specifics, you can read the details of what we'll be implementing here.

Unfortunately this does still leave 10% of the community who are not getting their desired outcome, so I offer my apologies to them. Although I firmly believe we're making the correct decision here I understand that doesn't make it any easier for people who wanted to see something different.

The other news to announce is that we've released Closed Beta Build V6, but this build is only available if you opt-in to our new Experimental branch on Steam or GOG. All of our updates will now first be released on the Experimental branch, and once we've ironed out most of the major bugs in the build we'll push it out to the "normal" branch that everyone on Steam and GOG is using by default.

This new setup takes the pressure off the development team a little, as if someone finds a critical bug in an Experimental build that makes it unplayable they can just switch back to the normal branches and play an older but more stable version of the game while we prepare a patch.

Our objective for V6 was to implement a lot of new features rather than polish what we already had, so there's a LOT of new stuff in there (updates to the air combat, alien psionics, strategic upkeep costs and a funding screen, new art and alien variants, etc) but they're not particularly well tested right now - so your feedback and bug reports are always welcome!

Multiple bases are coming back.

• incline x 4
    • Informative x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    That often happened to me when a blockade led me to think I had many more free freighters than I actually did. :|

^ Top  
  12. Agame Arbiter

Agame
    Fuck I hope not as I will be forced to pirate on principal, even though Xenonauts is one of my favourite games from the Indie era...

:negative:

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)