Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence Combat Demo - the Remix

2 days i've been stuck with the trio which i suppose is the final match.

Too hard... i reload everytime i don't get to knock out the leader. And even when i knock out and kill the leader, the other 2 fuck me.

I hate this game :D

Melcar said:
I assume you mean the Triarii? You got a ways to go for the end.

hell.
Too hard. And only for allocating 45 miserable points in etiquette. Can i cheat and re-allocate those points, messing with the savegames?

did i mention too hard?

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
So, Flatlander, did Melcar's prefs make any difference for you?

Black_Willow said:
The game runs fine until my character enters a building. Then it slows down drastically.

Let's see exactly what's causing this. Tell me what building is this, come to the entrance (but stay outside), press and hold Ctrl+F8 for 5 seconds. Then enter the building, and when it slows down, do Ctrl+F8 thing for a couple of seconds again. Then send me a console.log - upload somewhere, or post it at ITS forums.

Melcar

Arcane
The inn near the entrance of the town. You can notice a slight slowdown (slight on my hardware). Even the mouse acts more sluggish than usual.
How do you get a console log?

Okay, here's mine. Entered the inn, did ctrl+F8 for 5 secs., went outside and did ctrl+F8 again.
http://www.mediafire.com/?wthj0ozm3yj

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Melcar said:
The inn near the entrance of the town. You can notice a slight slowdown (slight on my hardware). Even the mouse acts more sluggish than usual.
How do you get a console log?

Okay, here's mine. Entered the inn, did ctrl+F8 for 5 secs., went outside and did ctrl+F8 again.
http://www.mediafire.com/?wthj0ozm3yj

Wow, there are like hundred profiler reports in your log. Do you have any kind of software that enforces keypress repeat rate? The log is more than megabyte of text, just can't find two to profiler reports to compare =)

EDIT: oh, wait, you're on Linux and Wine. Only god knows what's happening there with keypresses.

And Black_Willow's log is "temporarily unavailable" on MU =\

Flatlander

Liturgist
Nick said:
So, Flatlander, did Melcar's prefs make any difference for you?
Nope. It's almost as if the prefs settings didn't have any effect at all... Just to be sure I replaced all the prefs.cs files I could find in the installation directory.

Melcar

Arcane
The biggest performance gains I got was form disabling shadows, terrain details, and enabling triangles.

Arcanoix

Scholar
"Soft Release", Alganon. "New Shit", BioWare. "Combat Beta", Iron Tower Studios.

:decline:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Gylfi.Fenriz.Conquests said:
Melcar said:
I assume you mean the Triarii? You got a ways to go for the end.

hell.
Too hard. And only for allocating 45 miserable points in etiquette. Can i cheat and re-allocate those points, messing with the savegames?

did i mention too hard?

If you have a block-build, it would be better to go for the hammer wielder first, while maneuvering to keep the axe-wielder far enough so his AI prefers to throw daggers at you. That way you can block some/most of the attacks from the scimitar-wielder and hammer-guy while whittling them down.

Rhett Butler

Scholar
I'm not sure if this is a problem with Wine or not, but there is no sound. Does the demo have sound? Also I can't talk to any of the shopkeepers, should I be able to?

It also crashed my computer after a while. I think I'll install windows seven soon and try it again.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I didn't have crashes under Wine yet. Sound works too. Try changing the sound driver in Wine configuration.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
He is correct, though. It's only one demo, we never claimed otherwise. We uploaded the whole thing again because we made some changes to the folder structure.

denizsi

Arcane
Honestly, I'm disappointed by the lack of options in combat. Pretty elementary. Not much to spice things up. No shield bashing, no pommelling, no grappling. No hand-to-hand options while equipped with a weapon. Not even blocking/deflecting with a weapon. No "fake/surprise" attacks (for the lack of a better term). No "I'll charge on my opponent and hope he won't strike me before I hit him to ground" (in before "too complicated"). Characters don't ever seem to lose turns on the ground, knocked down (possible this is in but never happened to me). That said, I'm not sure if it's possible to get knocked down without being killed at all. I do remember being knocked down by a crossbow shot once, but I can't recall whether that was when/because I died. There also seem to be distinction/differentiation issues between weapons. How's a short spear different than a sword? Or a sword than a dagger? Other than AP costs of course.

Why I'd expect such things? I don't know. Maybe because this demo, being indie and all that, didn't seem like something that would be much different than what you'd possibly get from a mainstream title. Combat, at least with multiple opponents, is challenging alright, but challenge alone isn't all that interesting, especially with broken & non-adaptive AI. When you discover what works for any given opponent, it never fails, which cheapens/negates every other attack option because you never need them any more against the same opponent. Against single opponents, combat is very static and dull.

I guess I'm at least happy/hopeful that the released game won't be combat-centric.

Melcar

Arcane
I don't think combat was ever a selling point for AoD. Story and character development are the main strengths of the game. Knowing that in no way did I expect intricate combat from the game. The way it is seems good enough; just needs to be tweaked and balanced a bit more.

denizsi

Arcane
We're talking about combat demo, right? Since they took the trouble of making a combat demo where these other things are supposed to be the main strengths of the game, I, perhaps subconsciously, did expect some intricacy, and let's not even call it intricacy as, shall we, there's nothing intricate about a little more depth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom