Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fable to be inflicted on PC gamers

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Fable: The Lost Chapters; Microsoft Game Studios

Microsoft has seen fit to port Peter Molyneux's massively overhyped RPG-<i>very</i>-lite Fable to the PC platform, according to <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/10/news_6120199.html>this GameSpot news item</a>. The port, which will include neato new content, should be released this Fall.<blockquote>In Fable, players start as a young boy and eventually reach old age, with every choice they make effecting their character. Gamers can take their alter-ego along the path of righteousness, acquiring a saintly sheen and becoming the toast of the town, or choose a path of evil, growing devilish horns, attracting a swarm of flies, and witnessing townsfolk fleeing in terror at the character's mere appearance. By using certain weapons or acting in certain manners, the hero's physical appearance may change--slim and sleek for players who use ranged weapons and spells or buff and burly for those who scrap face-to-face.</blockquote><i>ROELPLAYERING!!!11!!1</i>

Fez

Erudite
It took them long enough if they had this planned. Why the long wait? Maybe for an 'exclusive', similar to Halo, rather than the KOTOR way of doing things.

The performance issues should be fixed with this conversion, if it is done properly. Shame the rest of the game seems to suck.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
This game was published by Microsoft, who surely wanted to try to use it sell Xboxes, like Halo. However, once it ran its course, they were undoubtedly planning a PC release. I'm not surprised at all, just that it took so long to announce. Heck, if they release a demo and I'm impressed I'll buy it. From what I hear though it wasn't that impressive.

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Maybe they'll totally revamp it for the PC and it will be the game we were promised. :roll:

Better yet, if they announced that they would re-vamp the game to add all the features they promised, then end up failing at it again.

Human Shield

Augur
I mite check it out, when it was coming out they promised it would never go to the PC so you had to buy an X-BOX (back when the game was supposed to be magical and everyone wanted it).

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Hm. Can anyone sum up the whole "what is actually Fable" thing? IN few words? I know, you've got tons of long, long threads and fighting with..how was that guys name - the monk with "Visa" sign, earned dumbfuck title? ANyway, I dont wish to dig through that shit, just, in few words - what wrong was with Fable? Was it any close to promised? Could you actually do the things mentioned in the snippet above? I'd check it out, then maybe.

NeverwinterKnight

Liturgist
maybe theyll actually add some of the features that were gloated about during production that were eventually left out of the final xbox version. :P

by far and away the most disappointing game ive ever played.

Hmm..Fable in a nutshell...

Well, basically, the adcopy "For every choice, a consequence" is horseshit. An outright lie.

Alignment is strictly cosmetic for the player avatar alone. You don't actually change anything meaninful in the game world.
Regardless if your a nice guy or bad, you still follow the same plot path which only diverges in the last battle/cutscene. One's play style up to that point has no bearing upon the final choice either. You can play as an unscroupuous asshole and still make the "good" choice for the nice ending.
Also you don't have to worry about alignment. If you want to swich completely at any time, just pay a visit and donate at your friendly neighborhood temple of good/evil.
That or just wear scary armor, the "appearance" of evil is usually enough.

Actually that's the key word. "Appearance"
It's like the Paris Hilton of RPGaming.
Anyone care to add?

Oh, the whole title system and communication/emote system for addressing npc's is also stictly surface as well.
The quest system is also static and rigid.You have choices on which to take and what angle you approch them, but once in it, if you somehow fail, you have infinite tries to get it right. So if in a mission the hostage or whatever dies, you start over until you reach success. That's the extent of real role playing it has to offer.
Ok forget all above, here is the nutshell:
"Shiny surface, shallow gameplay"

The only positive I can think of is the game allows gay marriage without even batting an eye.

bryce777

Erudite
Chief_Kirbydorf said:
Hooray, this is the news I've been waiting for.
I'll be sure to make a note of this on my calendar.
I'm looking forward to not playing it again.

Your sig is funny. I never even saw exitium's response.

The football team captain is not much of an intellectual. My brother is a major in the army (now in reserve) and he is a brilliant guy, but he is not an intellectual.

Yeah, thanks. That little exchange will always be good for a laugh.
I'm Navy reserve, former active, so I can't speak for the Army, but I think it's safe to say that gropos function better with people who don't have their head in the clouds, whereas, squids have more incentive to learn some high tech, and are in some ways encouraged to flex some brain muscles.

Either way, officers are still dumb :razz:

DemonKing

Arcane
I will probably get it for the wife...since she likes pretty graphics and games that aren't too complex...which means I will of course have to "check it out" so I can teach her how to play. :wink:

Hell - it's not BG3 or FO3 but the cupboard is pretty bare for any kind of CRPG at the moment.

Pegultagol

Erudite
LOL

I mean LOL. Wonder what that 'new feature' is going to be?

Probably that it's going to come in 6 CDs instead of 1 DVD.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
bryce777 said:
I really want to see this. I want to tell a lie and see horns grow from my head...hehehe.
It's very unrealistic. Everyone knows that it's the nose that should start growing :lol:

EEVIAC

Erudite
Fable isn't even worth a $10 impulse buy. The game can be completed in under 10 hours and most of that time is taken up running across the landscape killing weak monsters in about a dozen quests. (Take a look at the walkthrough index on this FAQ.) The choices are meaningless (I got the evil option at the end of the game despite being knightly good) and there's zero replayability.

It also has one of the worst end bosses ever, which accounts for about 10 minutes of the total game time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom