Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol sold 700,000 copies

MetalCraze

Arcane
It's a console shooter that looked just like many other console shooters so obviously people were buying it just because of that. The irony is that Obsidian failed at even cloning something as simple on an engine made specifically for this kind of games (UE3) and the result was a terrible shooter even by console standards and so sales ended fast.

mondblut

Arcane
A downward spiral:

1) A roleplaying-heavy game
2) A D&D-based game
3) A popamole shooter with dialogues
4) Bury the body

Guess the company.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Darth Roxor said:
AlaCarcuss said:
Also makes me wonder what Obs thinks when they see a game like StarCraft II with 10 million preorders and somthing like 12 million (total) sales in the first 24 hours (PC only too)?

What it tells me is 'polish' is everything. SC2 is basically the same game as SC1 (mechanically) only with prettier graphics. But it is polished to perfection and plays like a dream.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

Yeah. 'Polish'. Definitely not the 'BLIZZARD!!!!1111111' logo plastered all over it and a gigantic hype campaign including 'a game so good it took 12 years to make!'.

It's so polished it fries your GPU! :D :D :D

700k across three platforms with a significant advertising push for a small-ish developer.... Yeah, the game is a failure. Thank god.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
mondblut said:
A downward spiral:

1) A roleplaying-heavy game
2) A D&D-based game
3) A popamole shooter with dialogues
4) Bury the body

Guess the company.

Oh god it's true

Edit: Actually, Troika went bankrupt right as VTMB was coming out and Obsidian has manged to hold out for at least a month and a half.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
The FO brand might save them with New Vegas. The kids seem to have liked FO3 and from what I can tell NV is just one giant DLC.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Even if they fail, F3 and Beth have a humongous fanbase which will probably guarantee them a million or two copies sold.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Lockkaliber said:
Even if they fail, F3 and Beth have a humongous fanbase which will probably guarantee them a million or two copies sold.
This.
KotOR 2 was very financially successful -- not because of product quality, but instead because of the enormous fanbase.

Whether AP ended up being shit or not hardly effected these sales. Everyone knows by now that advertising and already being big account for 90% of purchases. If you went through the game and stamped Bioware over Obsidian in all relevant areas, the game would sell 10x better.

Dionysus

Scholar
Overweight Manatee said:
Whether AP ended up being shit or not hardly effected these sales. Everyone knows by now that advertising and already being big account for 90% of purchases. If you went through the game and stamped Bioware over Obsidian in all relevant areas, the game would sell 10x better.
That's Bullshit. The game didn't sell well because it didn't show well, and many critics didn't appreciate the interactive narrative.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Freelance Henchman said:
Review ME2, horse.
BioWare finally made a good game. 10/10

Dionysus said:
Overweight Manatee said:
That's Bullshit. The game didn't sell well because it didn't show well, and many critics didn't appreciate the interactive narrative.
Critics are definitely among the people who look at who the developer is before they set the score.

edit: I am also sad that there won't be a sequel. :M

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Volourn said:
AP did not sell 700k to customers. It sold 700k to stores. Either way, Sega says it is a financial fialure and I believe them since they have no possible motivation o lie.
Makes me wonder what the criteria stores use to determine how many to initially buy for any new release, and if they ever overshoot their mark and buy more than they can sell.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"KotOR 2 was very financially successful -- not because of product quality, but instead because of the enormous fanbase."

Even so, LA laughed in Obsidian's face when they begged to do a KOTOR3 and instead went to beg BIO to do a KOTOR MMO. LMFAO

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Volourn said:
"KotOR 2 was very financially successful -- not because of product quality, but instead because of the enormous fanbase."

Even so, LA laughed in Obsidian's face when they begged to do a KOTOR3 and instead went to beg BIO to do a KOTOR MMO. LMFAO
Which was clearly the wrong thing to do.

Lockkaliber said:
Why do you have to be so spiteful all the time Volourn? :cry:
You try to be nice with a face covered with David Gaider's cum.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
L0L David Gaider hates me. The Troikians liked me more. R00fles!

denizsi

Arcane
I don't have any bad wishes for OB but somehow I'm truly glad that AP isn't getting a sequel. Seeing the setting, assets etc all that stuff being wasted for such a cheap-ass console shooter is just sad. They are probably better off doing something similar from scratch, with proper treatment this time (which never happens to become for OB).

Who else thinks NV will be a similarly BSB, bland and dull experience? Videos were very much that way.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Dionysus said:
Overweight Manatee said:

Sometimes people expect a game from a game, not a collection of cutscenes and a writing for teenagers with a bad shooter in between - shit happens

Silellak said:
Dionysus said:
The game didn't sell well because it didn't show well, and many critics didn't appreciate the interactive narrative. it just wasn't that good.
Fixed.

Not being good doesn't seem to get in the way of games selling 10 million copies these days. If it was a benchmark for success a lot of different developers would still be here today.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom