Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol sold 700,000 copies

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Visbhume said:
Malakal said:
Oh there are c&c but the game sucks nevertheless. You should accept that gameplay comes first always...

c&c is a form of gameplay.

I see it more as a part of the story since player only has so many choices to make during the course of the game - most often something else is way more dominant (ie shooting in this example).

relootz

Scholar
Is 700K a bad number these days? That should have at least covered their costs?

torpid

Liturgist
denizsi said:
I don't have any bad wishes for OB but somehow I'm truly glad that AP isn't getting a sequel. Seeing the setting, assets etc all that stuff being wasted for such a cheap-ass console shooter is just sad. They are probably better off doing something similar from scratch, with proper treatment this time (which never happens to become for OB).

Who else thinks NV will be a similarly BSB, bland and dull experience? Videos were very much that way.

I highly doubt they'll be developing a new IP anytime soon. A stream of crappy sequels and addons is probably the only thing that will keep them afloat at this point.

Zomg

Arbiter
relootz said:

Pretty sure it's a loss given current developmarketing costs.

Hey Codex you're supposed to use this thread for being horrified that a game that sells 700k copies loses money, that's fucking nightmarish. To be a hit you sell 5-10m copies now, meaning they have to ferret out every microscopic retard dollar with content so broad that it can't offend or confuse anyone ever.

The C&C is mostly bland, with only one mission missable, and all the choices were given to you in cutscenes. The game is shit, and if you like the game, you are at least borderline retarded.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Zomg said:
relootz said:

Hey Codex you're supposed to use this thread for being horrified that a game that sells 700k copies loses money, that's fucking nightmarish. To be a hit you sell 5-10m copies now, meaning they have to ferret out every microscopic retard dollar with content so broad that it can't offend or confuse anyone ever.

It is ridiculous. Fallout made enough with 100k sales. On the other hand, maybe the trick is to focus on a niche, tone down the Wow factor and make a solid game. Better to get many from the 'niche', than hope to appeal for a few of the masses, where you need to spend exponentially more to get the same number of people to buy your game.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Zomg said:
relootz said:

It's more hilarious than horrifying. Until publishers realize they need to cut costs in order to turn a profit, they will continue to blow money on piece of shit games like Halo that will sell less and less as their repetitive gameplay becomes annoying and their visuals become less impressive.

Radisshu

Prophet
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
The C&C is mostly bland, with only one mission missable, and all the choices were given to you in cutscenes. The game is shit, and if you like the game, you are at least borderline retarded.

There's at least one missable mission per hub. There are two missable missions in Moscow, for example (the yacht, and apparently the "final" mission).

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
FACT: It wasn't until I read this post that I started to drool profusely and shit my pants.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I actually don't know whether to call skipping the attrocious shooter gameplay of AP an incline or decline.

commie said:
Don't know why exactly, maybe because skills actually affected your ability to hit things
So it was better because it sucked at being a shooter even more than GoW? Jeez

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
It should be said that interrogating Brayko is only one thing that you need to do in order to figure out that Surkov set you up.

edit: Also, how you play the embassy mission may come back and bite you in the ass at the end of the game.

SoupNazi

Andyman Messiah said:
FACT: It wasn't until I read this post that I started to drool profusely and shit my pants.

This.

Andyman Messiah said:

Glad I could help. Final Faggotry Fanboi!

*ahem*

I guess I'm still not over the rage at Obsidian. I thought it was all behind me... maybe its because Fallout: New Vegaturd is right around the corner.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom