Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ok so Betrayal at Krondor is awesome

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Darth Roxor said:
You won't find any other game, where you will learn not to trust anyone (except shopkeepers, maybe).
Needs to play azrael's tear.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
1.jpg

DIE

The first puzzlelock in game. I still have this love/hate relationship with them.

Suchy said:
ghostdog said:
Suchy said:
Actually I may yet get tempted to restart it, if I find a game with more flexible engine/editor.

Dammit Suchy it seems like you've done some excellent work so far. Keep working on it !
I had some fun doing it, but it was taking way too much of my time, which I don't have anymore. Work, a music project, some side coding (learning Android platform), socializing...

Excellent work Suchy. Awesome job :salute: though personally I wouldn't translate BaK to Bioware's Aurora engine. I take combat in original BaK any day over the popamole in NWN... Unless you managed to resolve it somehow, that is.

I wonder if Twitcher 2 tool set will be as sucky as that for part 1.

If you ever intended to resurect your project you could count on my help, should my meagre knowledge prove sufficient.

Silellak

Cipher
So...I guess I should probably play this, huh? I remember seeing it on the shelves when I was a kid, but never grabbed it. Same story with JA2. Urgh.

:oops:

:decline: of Silellak.

Suchy

Arcane
Mrowak said:
Excellent work Suchy. Awesome job Salute though personally I wouldn't translate BaK to Bioware's Aurora engine. I take combat in original BaK any day over the popamole in NWN... Unless you managed to resolve it somehow, that is.
Unfortunately I didn't - that was the second reason I stopped working on this. I had to force player to control Owyn, as the retarded AI couldn't handle my spell system in a reasonable way (and NWN back then only allowed to control a single character, I'm not sure if they changed it with later extensions). It was easier for enemies though, as I only gave them a few spells they could use.

Twinkle

Liturgist
ghostdog said:
Not to mention that BAK had a famous novelist write the story

No. It was written by game's lead designers with Feist serving only as a creative consultant or something. That may explain why it doesn't suck against all odds. :M

it wouldn't even freak out the console kiddies with being too difficult to grasp

Hurr durr, no quest compass or retardo-friendly journal explaining what to do. Modern "RPG" (aka shooter/slasher with stats and blah-blah-blah) fan's brain will explode because you actually have to think to complete many quests instead of following the green arrow on your minimap to the next objective. I agree that game mechanics are fairly simple, but next-gen developers won't be able to emulate even this.

Calem Ravenna

Scholar
Darth Roxor said:
Person who never got past chapter 2 detected :M

Nah, the farthest I got was the beginning of the chapter in which you control the elf, the kid and some other spellcaster. Quite close to the ending afaik (and I regret not finishing it).

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Twinkle said:
ghostdog said:

No. It was written by game's lead designers with Feist serving only as a creative consultant or something. That may explain why it doesn't suck against all odds. :M

Don't know. Mobygames has Feist as a lead writer along with Neal Hallford.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Calem Ravenna said:
Darth Roxor said:
Person who never got past chapter 2 detected :M

Nah, the farthest I got was the beginning of the chapter in which you control the elf, the kid and some other spellcaster. Quite close to the ending afaik (and I regret not finishing it).
Chapter 5, afair.

Twinkle

Liturgist
ghostdog said:
Twinkle said:
ghostdog said:

Don't know. Mobygames has Feist as a lead writer along with Neal Hallford.

Wikipedia said:
Although the game was licensed from Raymond E. Feist, a long held myth was that the text and the story of the game were actually created by Feist himself. Feist states in his afterword to Krondor: The Betrayal that he was busy writing The King's Buccaneer during the game's production and that the plot, text, and new characters were created solely by designers Neal Hallford and John Cutter. Feist did have editorial final say on the game, but most of what Hallford and Cutter created was left intact.

Also, there:

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1061008144

See the latest post. :M

nealiios

Arcane
Developer
Suchy said:
I even started working on a remake as a NWN mod. I had most of the first chapter done, only lacked Krondor seweres. This included 1/3rd of the game world and stuff like wordlocks, barding, completely new skill/spell system. And then I got a job...

Hey there,

Love what you were doing with the remake. I had thought of doing this myself a few times over the years, but the distractions of the daytime job kept me pretty busy. Is there a link where I can play your mod?

Best,
Neal Hallford

Suchy

Arcane
forgotmypasswordagain said:
omfg it's neal hallford
*shriek like girls at beatles concerts* :love:
Heheh just my reaction.

Fortunately, I found a backup of the mod on an old CD. I'll post the link when I upload it.

Silellak

Cipher
nealiios said:
Suchy said:
I even started working on a remake as a NWN mod. I had most of the first chapter done, only lacked Krondor seweres. This included 1/3rd of the game world and stuff like wordlocks, barding, completely new skill/spell system. And then I got a job...

Hey there,

Love what you were doing with the remake. I had thought of doing this myself a few times over the years, but the distractions of the daytime job kept me pretty busy. Is there a link where I can play your mod?

Best,
Neal Hallford
:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
nealiios said:
Suchy said:

Hey there,

Best,
Neal Hallford
:love: :love: :love:

Konjad

⛏
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
nealiios said:
Suchy said:

Hey there,

Best,
Neal Hallford

So... do you plan to ever make a remake of this game? If so would it be a mod to NWN or something else or a full game? Would you consider any drastic changes, like new combat system or something?

forgotmypasswordagain said:
omfg it's neal hallford
*shriek like girls at beatles concerts* :love:

Neal who now?

Any way I might have to add this to my mile long back log of games, still got PS:T, ToEE, JA2, Gothic 2: Notr, Bloodlines to finish first at the very least.

Suchy

Arcane
nealiios said:
Suchy said:

Hey there,

Best,
Neal Hallford
And here it is:
http://www.mediafire.com/?t1oxt64v168hs7k
http://www.multiupload.com/HZKSDAPAKO

The last time I worked on it, the starting location was in a differen't place. I changed it to a proper start place near Yabon, but because of the editor, it now requires HoTU and SoTU expoansions. In case you don't have them, there's still old version of the mod available, but you'll begin in a tavern in Tyr-Sog.

1. Unzip into main NWN directory.
2. Start the game -> New -> Other Modules -> Betrayal at Krondor -> Select Premade Character -> choose Owyn
3. Advance only in wizard class, because of custom spell system.

Black Cat

Magister
Calem Ravenna said:

You mean the chapter where you begin using Owyn and Gorath, and then Pug joins them? I am somewhat unsure but I believe that's the final one... Get back there and finish the damn game! :P

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Black Cat said:
Calem Ravenna said:

You mean the chapter where you begin using Owyn and Gorath, and then Pug joins them? I am somewhat unsure but I believe that's the final one... Get back there and finish the damn game! :P

That's the second to last chapter actually. But once you get Pug along you're already half-way through it and the last chapter is extremely short so yeah, he was probably very close to finishing the game.

I myself finished the game just a few days ago. Loved it almost all the way through, though those last two chapters were at least story-wise noticeably weaker than the rest of the game. Other than that I can't come up with any major complaints. The game really does a great job at combining a well written and intriguing story with good gameplay and an amazingly well-crafted game world. Easily one of the best RPGs I've had the pleasure of playing.

Mrowak

Arcane
Gakkone said:
Black Cat said:
Calem Ravenna said:

That's the second to last chapter actually. But once you get Pug along you're already half-way through it and the last chapter is extremely short so yeah, he was probably very close to finishing the game.

Yes, you're right. That's the end of 8th chapter when you meet Pug. Chapter 9th is the final.

I myself finished the game just a few days ago. Loved it almost all the way through, though those last two chapters were at least story-wise noticeably weaker than the rest of the game. Other than that I can't come up with any major complaints. The game really does a great job at combining a well written and intriguing story with good gameplay and an amazingly well-crafted game world. Easily one of the best RPGs I've had the pleasure of playing.

Quite easily Betrayal at Krondor is the best RPG out there and I mean it. In terms of the story and its coherent game-world it beats the crap out of everything save Planescape: Torment, but it is still much better than PS:T as far as sheer gameplay is concerned.

You'd think that after such a pearl devs would take it as an example of perfect RPG design and creat MOAR!!! A great tragedy that it has not come to pass. The spiritual successor Betrayal at Antara proved a bitter disappointment in the story department (which disqualifies it for me) and the sequel Return to Krondor was one bloody mess made bearable only thanks to a few moments of reflecting the light of its noble predecessor.

Despair Gakkone. It was one time miracle that a game like this has seen the light. It created class of its own. There's nothing in its weight category that can compare to it.

Man, I kinda wish someone could make sth like that again.

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mrowak said:
The spiritual successor Betrayal at Antara proved a bitter disappointment in the story department (which disqualifies it for me) and the sequel Return to Krondor was one bloody mess made bearable only thanks to a few moments of reflecting the light of its noble predecessor.

Would you still recommend playing those? I was especially interested in Antara since I gathered it's very similar to BaK, but how much worse is it exactly?

Despair Gakkone. It was one time miracle that a game like this has seen the light. It created class of its own. There's nothing in its weight category that can compare to it.

I hear you man :salute:

Mrowak

Arcane
Gakkone said:
Mrowak said:
The spiritual successor Betrayal at Antara proved a bitter disappointment in the story department (which disqualifies it for me) and the sequel Return to Krondor was one bloody mess made bearable only thanks to a few moments of reflecting the light of its noble predecessor.

Would you still recommend playing those? I was especially interested in Antara since I gathered it's very similar to BaK, but how much worse is it exactly?

Yeah, you can play both of these. I would rate them both 6/10 (mind you using this scale I would rate Dragon Age 4/10).

I must confess I never finished Antara - the kindergarten dailogues and general disinterest in the indrigue killed it for me. It had pretty good game mechanics though, quite different than BaK. Plenty of exploration, is good thing as well. As far as I remember magic system also seemed quite novel and interesting... though for love of God I cannot remember how it worked.

Return to Kronder is totally different cup of tea. Different engine, pseudo 3D environments, small scope of the story and the game world (HUGE let down after BaK) Buhaha Ima EVUL!!! villain, clunky interface, so-so gameplay, and the fact that it is much too short is discouraging. On the flip-side it had some neat investigations, multiple quests, often hidden like last hell (you needed a number of playthroughs to find them all), nice C&C of limited scope, many secrets (multiple playthroughs without a walkthrough) and, at times, great atmosphere make it worth trying. Oh, and I liked voice acting.

I hear you man :salute:

:salute:

Monocause

Arcane
Gakkone said:

Never played Antara, but I'd advise you to stay away from RtK. It's a bloody mess alright in pretty much every aspect. I seem to recall that a few Codexers had defended the game when it was discussed about a year ago or so, never could understood why - even if there's something decent in there it's so fucked up design-wise that I didn't have a chance to notice it.

It's a terrible game that additionally is a sequel to one of the best RPGs ever so stay away from it unless you like to rage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom