Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Britainnia?

Alex

Arcane
Saxon1974 said:
Apparently Garriot is bringing back Lord British in a new game.....

http://www.ultimaaiera.com/blog/lord-br ... ment-14440

Yeeeea...

Jaesun said:
Ultima on Facebook? Just fucking kill me now.

aaugh.jpg

Frau Bishop

Erudite
Chris Morris said:
Further details were light for both titles, since Garriott's presentation was primarily an appeal to investors for the $3.8 million in financing the company is seeking. However, Garriott did note "the virtual world game is not just an ultra-light MMO shopped on social media. I think that would be a failure."
Instead it will be.. what? I'm ready to get surprised.

But wtf, really?
appeal to investors for the $3.8 million in financing
What did he do with all his cash? And if he still has it, why isn't he inves... hmm, ohhh. Ok.

made

Arcane
Frau Bishop said:
Chris Morris said:
Further details were light for both titles, since Garriott's presentation was primarily an appeal to investors for the $3.8 million in financing the company is seeking. However, Garriott did note "the virtual world game is not just an ultra-light MMO shopped on social media. I think that would be a failure."
Instead it will be.. what?
Just an ultra-light MMO shopped on social media with a twist

tetsuo

Scholar
Could someone explain to me how they make money with this facebook casual crap?
I never played something like that and i dont have a facebook acc cause i hate those greedy bastards.

made

Arcane
As I understand it, casuals who hate playing games instead prefer to pay to see their characters level up, gain loot, etc. That way they get the gratification of success without the tedium that normally goes along with it.

Project: Eternity
made said:
As I understand it, casuals who hate playing games instead prefer to pay to see their characters level up, gain loot, etc. That way they get the gratification of success without the tedium that normally goes along with it.
There is a big problem with the idea that there needs to be tedium involved in your gameplay for leveling up/gaining loot to be rewarding. Not that I'm defending this casual newfag shit, but, still. Grinding is not a step forward by anyone's measure. If I'm playing a video game and suffering tedium, then there is something that the game did SERIOUSLY wrong.

MrJones

Novice
Developer
If I'm playing a video game and suffering tedium, then there is something that the game did SERIOUSLY wrong.
The best RPGs I ever played were those which made me temporarily suffer by throwing some really hard but after many tries solvable battles at me. If I didn't like that, I could also play Mahjongg or Dungeon Siege, but I found both to be extremely boring.

I'm not saying the whole game should be a pain in the ass. But not adding any sort of complicated situation at all kinda turns it into a shitty interactive screensaver.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
MrJones said:
If I'm playing a video game and suffering tedium, then there is something that the game did SERIOUSLY wrong.
The best RPGs I ever played were those which made me temporarily suffer by throwing some really hard but after many tries solvable battles at me. If I didn't like that, I could also play Mahjongg or Dungeon Siege, but I found both to be extremely boring.

I'm not saying the whole game should be a pain in the ass. But not adding any sort of complicated situation at all kinda turns it into a shitty interactive screensaver.

What's up, Drog?

MrJones

Novice
Developer
*searches Urbandictionary for drog*

Well, hi :salute:

But I'll better go search some sort of helllo thar introduction thread before I drag the discussion here off totally (and to leave some place for the apparently voluminous target audience)

zeitgeist

Magister
malko_sundervere said:
made said:
There is a big problem with the idea that there needs to be tedium involved in your gameplay for leveling up/gaining loot to be rewarding. Not that I'm defending this casual newfag shit, but, still. Grinding is not a step forward by anyone's measure. If I'm playing a video game and suffering tedium, then there is something that the game did SERIOUSLY wrong.
But if there was no tedium, what would they pay for to avoid?

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Well, this game is going to suck, but not for your typical reasons. To get to my point, you'll have to agree that there is an air of spirituality to Ultima games, a kind of asking the player to be more than who they are. The best ones reflected a uniformity of concept and ideal. The crappier Ultima's reflected a chaotic jumble of knowing winks and passing references to spiritual concepts, and symbology that was used heavily in earlier Ultima's (shrines, runes, and ankh's everywhere in U9 and UO.)
The only way this game could be good is if there was uniformity of approach. Not just a bunch of Ultima junk thrown in there (hey, this blank wall.. it needs something, I know, AN ANKH!), a cohesive world and belief system. How can LB bring this when his spirituality and beliefs waned as the Ultima series went on? You can see it in the completely incoherent religions in U8, and the absence of spirituality in U9. How is LB going to make a consistent, coherent Ultima without having his act together? That is, a game based on the virtues or the Ultima world, when he has "moved on."

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not all facebook games are bad. Dungeon Overlord is a pretty good Dungeon Keeper clone for example. If he can make an actual game instead of a slide show it could turn out OK.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Plus EA owns the rights to the Ultima world so I think Harriot can only use the name lord british. Not sure how he would make much of an ultimo game based on that. Would have to be a new world and be careful not to get into legal trouble.

Im very skeptical but Harriot definitely has the ability to create interesting worlds. The casual facebook and Mom thing worries me though.

Guess we will find out tho.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom