Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Goddamn Batman: Arkham City thread

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony-all-the-supervillains-in-this-city-are-crazy.jpg

Drakron

Arcane
Yes, they replaced Quinn with Bubbles.

Then again
Joker is sick, he tries to make Mr. Freeze to make a cure but the Penguin captures Freeze so he infects Batman with his blood so he have to find a cure, after rescuing Freeze he finds out the cure does not work because it degrades too fast, so gets Ra's al Ghul blood (because of the whole Lazarus pits thing) gets the cure and then the Joker steals the cure, after a lot of shit I am not going into, Batman defeats Clayface that is holding the cure and uses half of it, then the Joker attacks Batman and ends up breaking the vial ... oops.

We get Batman saying "I would have saved you" but the Joker dies, the end is Batman carrying the Joker body out of Arkham City.

So the Joker is dead.

Then again ... Ra's al Ghul is dead, Hugo Strange is dead and Talia are also dead ... I suppose with the al Ghuls that is kinda like getting a cold but the Joker and Strange?

Drakron

Arcane
procrastinator said:
You mean with Yxunomei?

Well I would say Bubbles because of how Quinn speaks, to say the truth I really did not spot much of a difference and Quinn does not play that much of a role ... I think you only hear her in the Cathedral, Steel Mill and in GCPD.

Oh I seen someone playing Catwomen episodes (yes, they are called that) and they are disappointing.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Drakron said:
Yes, they replaced Quinn with Bubbles.

Then again
Joker is sick, he tries to make Mr. Freeze to make a cure but the Penguin captures Freeze so he infects Batman with his blood so he have to find a cure, after rescuing Freeze he finds out the cure does not work because it degrades too fast, so gets Ra's al Ghul blood (because of the whole Lazarus pits thing) gets the cure and then the Joker steals the cure, after a lot of shit I am not going into, Batman defeats Clayface that is holding the cure and uses half of it, then the Joker attacks Batman and ends up breaking the vial ... oops.

We get Batman saying "I would have saved you" but the Joker dies, the end is Batman carrying the Joker body out of Arkham City.

So the Joker is dead.

Then again ... Ra's al Ghul is dead, Hugo Strange is dead and Talia are also dead ... I suppose with the al Ghuls that is kinda like getting a cold but the Joker and Strange?

Is this as retarded as it sounds

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Are there any other ridiculous difficulty spikes after the reclycled Ba titan boss fight at the elevator room? Or any way to reduce difficulty/glitch/exploit my way through that fight? Also how often are you supposed to be countering shit?

The one time I managed to kill the titan and not get reinforcements PLUS remnants in my face I end up getting low HP one hit killed by a straggler of a small group of survivors :x

edit: talking about BAA, posted on the assumption I had already posted about other issue I had here

I.C. Wiener

Educated
Admiral jimbob said:
Is this as retarded as it sounds
Just about, because of bad writing in general, not bad plot. It lacks foreshadowing, characters flicker in and out of the story for no reason other than cameos or DLC hooks, and it's reliant on the player being familiar with Batman mythology despite taking place in its own alternate universe.

Dialog: Half of everything uttered is a cliche (including the first line), and every villain is either a brutish thug or insane. Catwoman is the worst character of the year, I did not install the DLC so I only saw her in a couple of cutscenes near the beginning and the end and I still vomited.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
M4BE1R0 said:
Are there any other ridiculous difficulty spikes after the reclycled Ba titan boss fight at the elevator room? Or any way to reduce difficulty/glitch/exploit my way through that fight? Also how often are you supposed to be countering shit?

The one time I managed to kill the titan and not get reinforcements PLUS remnants in my face I end up getting low HP one hit killed by a straggler of a small group of survivors :x

edit: talking about BAA, posted on the assumption I had already posted about other issue I had here

Oh what the fuck, I focused on the grunts while praying there's no inconvenient respawn and it worked. First try. Even though it was just because I was lucky to reduce the grunts to a low HP duo before killing off the titan guy, surviving with almost zero HP, shitty 19 hit combo instead of a 30+ I pulled off at one failed iteration

Would've been stuck there wasn't it for the fucking triple batarang and for some reason the game decided to posthumously register a upgrade for the first time there, and it's exactly the one with the potential to break some tactics, the proximity detonation while leaving the other test upgrades I had been using alone, it's like it's fucking with me :x

And yes I know the thread is about BAC, but some other codexer may get stuck there

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Gotten quite a bit clocked in on Arkham City, and it's absolutely awesome. All the best parts of AA, but MOAR of it, and all the bad sides have been fixed.

Vibalist

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:
SuicideBunny said:
Dicksmoker said:
I also torrented the PC version of The Saboteur rather than play on the preferred console and deal with that nudity patch bullshit that they fucking CHARGE for when it comes automatically uncensored on PC. Suck it down, publishers.
fuck you for that. saboteur was a good game that deserved being bought and having a sequel.
Fuck you. If you're okay with the principle of censorship or you don't mind paying extra for something that you should have gotten for free in the original package, that's your issue; but don't go attacking those who happened to take a more principled stand on the subject.

Taking a "more principled" stand on the subject would be to not acquire the product in question at all, even through piracy. If you want to send a message to the developers/publishers that you don't like the way they do business by not buying their product, fine. But don't go out and pirate the same product afterwards, because that just makes you look like someone who wants to have the experience of playing Saboteur 2 without paying for it and is subsequently trying to justify himself.

Vaarna_Aarne said:
Gotten quite a bit clocked in on Arkham City, and it's absolutely awesome. All the best parts of AA, but MOAR of it, and all the bad sides have been fixed.

How does the writing compare to Arkham Asylum?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Vaarna_Aarne said:

I was going to get this on xbawks until their retarded scheme with exclusive content depending on where you got it. :/

Now I'm waiting for some kind-hearted script kiddies to make a version with all the content available on the bay of buccaneers.

Multi-headed Cow

Just picked up a Steam preorder code (The Nvidia code dealies) on Ebay for $30. The challenge room thing doesn't look any different from the normal challenge rooms, so no biggy I won't get that. Don't really care about not having different Batman skins. Not having Robin for challenge mode is a slight bummer but honestly, would I play much Robin when I can be the Bat? Not likely.

I am the Bat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgH8Et_m87o

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Vibalist said:
Taking a "more principled" stand on the subject would be to not acquire the product in question at all, even through piracy. If you want to send a message to the developers/publishers that you don't like the way they do business by not buying their product, fine. But don't go out and pirate the same product afterwards, because that just makes you look like someone who wants to have the experience of playing Saboteur 2 without paying for it and is subsequently trying to justify himself.
Except that not playing it at all simply gives the impression that I'm not interested in the game, which isn't true. And I've already said I would have been happy to pay to rent the game. Whether you, or they, believe me in that is not my concern.

Do you seriously not see what is so fundamentally wrong and immoral about having to pay to uncensor something? Imagine if you had to do that for a movie. Hey you rented our movie, thanks, now pay us a little extra to take all the bleeps and blurs out. That's no more ridiculous than the example with The Saboteur.

When you buy a product there's an implicit agreement that you own everything and that you get the full package, and that includes every bit of nudity or foul language or whatever else was originally included. Likewise when you pay to rent something it's also implicit in the agreement that you have access to all the content that would come with a purchase, the only difference being that you have it for a limited amount of time, which is a perfectly reasonable compromise considering the lowered price. When game publishers start trying to violate these agreements by charging for shit that is automatically guaranteed they don't deserve a cent. And I'll go further and say that no self-respecting gamer should stand for it.

Vibalist

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:
Vibalist said:
Except that not playing it at all simply gives the impression that I'm not interested in the game, which isn't true. And I've already said I would have been happy to pay to rent the game. Whether you, or they, believe me in that is not my concern.

Then how about letting them know that you are interested in their game by visiting their forum or sending them a mail? It's not like pirating something is the only way one can send the message "I would've bought your product if not for your shitty business practices". In fact, pirating is probably the worst way to do so, because they'll just think you're being greedy rather than making a statement.

Do you seriously not see what is so fundamentally wrong and immoral about having to pay to uncensor something? Imagine if you had to do that for a movie. Hey you rented our movie, thanks, now pay us a little extra to take all the bleeps and blurs out. That's no more ridiculous than the example with The Saboteur.

I never said I disagreed with you on the wrongness of developers cutting out content and then selling it as DLC later. You're totally right that this type of behavior shouldn't be accepted or rewarded by the buyer. But again, if you want to let them know this, then, well, let them know. Tell them. Write them. Make a big deal about it on their forums. Don't steal their product, because that wont send the right message at all. You'll just look like someone who wanted a free game.

When you buy a product there's an implicit agreement that you own everything and that you get the full package, and that includes every bit of nudity or foul language or whatever else was originally included. Likewise when you pay to rent something it's also implicit in the agreement that you have access to all the content that would come with a purchase, the only difference being that you have it for a limited amount of time, which is a perfectly reasonable compromise considering the lowered price. When game publishers start trying to violate these agreements by charging for shit that is automatically guaranteed they don't deserve a cent. And I'll go further and say that no self-respecting gamer should stand for it.

No disagreements here, but you're getting sidetracked. I wasn't saying at any point that I think it's good or acceptable for a developer to do something like this.

Thrasher

Erudite
I dunno. It looks like a lot more of the same from the first game. I am bored of the repetition.

SoupNazi

I ended up starved for MOAR after finishing AA, so if this is more of the same and better, I'll buy this sometime next month or so.

Multi-headed Cow

SoupNazi said:
I ended up starved for MOAR after finishing AA, so if this is more of the same and better, I'll buy this sometime next month or so.
Yeah, same for me. I loved the shit out of AA. Looking forward to this one being more of the same since no other game has really scratched the same itch for me. The combination of sneaking, combat, puzzling, eyecandy, voice acting, unf. UNF.

Know a guy who didn't like the combat because he said it was too easy. I suppose that's technically true in the sense that you rarely lose a fight, but trying to get a big combat chain going was so damn fun I never really cared.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Multi-headed Cow said:
SoupNazi said:
Yeah, same for me. I loved the shit out of AA. Looking forward to this one being more of the same since no other game has really scratched the same itch for me. The combination of sneaking, combat, puzzling, eyecandy, voice acting, unf. UNF.

Know a guy who didn't like the combat because he said it was too easy. I suppose that's technically true in the sense that you rarely lose a fight, but trying to get a big combat chain going was so damn fun I never really cared.
Finished the main story today, and there's one thing you must also take into account: AC is MOAR of AA, but MOAR and even better, with all the flaws ironed out (most notable being that bossfights are varied and awesome now, Mister Freeze and the final boss in particular being really fucking awesome). It's hands down the best superhero game ever made. You'll guess you've got way more to wait for when you start with a large portion of your tools from AA, like Batclaw and Explosive Spray. And of course, Batman has even more ways to bring the pain in melee combat, like breaking weapons (particularly useful against the mooks that bring guns to a fistfight) instead of instant KOs, or knife-dodging.

Another thing of particular note is that the side missions are awesome, especially the Riddler's (which is the largest one). In addition to the old Riddler trophy collecting and detail hunting, you go through actually good and extensive puzzle rooms several times.

As for all this bullshit whining about pre-order stuff, the only goddamn thing you'd noticiably miss is the Catwoman stuff, possibly Robin. Are you really going to start boycotting one of the best games of the year because you might miss on some fucking skins and three challenge maps (and you'd most likely only miss the skins, which makes this even more inane)?

anus_pounder

Arcane
No. I'm going to miss this out (and Uncharted and Assassins Creed and Dark Souls :rage) because I need £180 by December for some mmorpg.

On the plus side, I can always get TPB version next month, but I sort of feel guilty pirating this game. I've been looking forward to it a lot.

Thrasher

Erudite
I'll probably get it once it goes on $10 sale, and by then the gameplay will feel like something new again. ;)

EDIT: Or I could be dead by then.

Drakron

Arcane
Well if that not-so-secret area is any indication, next Batman game will have the Scarecrow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom