Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #11: On Being Party-Based + New Video

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
Your logic is flawed by assumption the that MCA will die one day. Just look at him, started to work on a real RPG and rejuvenated 10 years!

One day the decline will be enough to resume his aging, if only in a totally fabulous, slow way, don't you worry.

Black

Arcane
Did they say anywhere if there will be something that Van Buren was supposed to have, as in, another party of "adventurers" going around, doing stuff that can potentially screw you over, do quests you ignored etc?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Did they say anywhere if there will be something that Van Buren was supposed to have, as in, another party of "adventurers" going around, doing stuff that can potentially screw you over, do quests you ignored etc?
I hope I can name their leader Garry Oak. :roll:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Is it certain that by top down they mean really top down not some kind of iso perspective? o_O
Not that I'm completely averse to pure top down, but I really don't see why they'd want that, except that it needs less resources. I already envisioned WL2 to look somewhat similar to Fallout, hopefully that's what they have in mind.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I think it will top-down at the world view (a little like Storm of Zehir). No random encounters just encounters that "pop up" and will skill check you (if you have high Stealth? They won't see you, so you can explore the world map without any combat from encounters). The iso will be in the "down to the party" view, while we explore cities, talk to npcs and kill, maim and murder.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
For those filthy peasants that didn't play SoZ:

Jump to the 7min. He's walking the region map. In SoZ there're two region maps - Samarach and Sword Coast (not the whole region). Also there're secret stashes and non-hostile encounters (like patrolling guards that will attack hostile encounters). It's a very good expansion.

I am wondering if Fargo's points about the perspective implies something about the 2 engines he's considering. His comments about the scale of the perspective were interesting, but it doesn't sound to me like his comments were conclusive about the top down vs iso issue. Perhaps an iso perspective that is very close to top down. I'd prefer a perspective that is adjustable from close to straight down to maybe 45 degrees from top down and zoomable in scale.

And MCA is right. Fargo is really good at this. Very impressive video. And his point about the beta being important might get some peeps (like me) to at least go in for the $75 tier. I was basically planning to do that anyway, but this just reinforces it.

You can get into beta for 55$ digital "all shit" included edition.

Yeah guys, it will be top down like when you travel in Fallout or Wasteland 1 itself and then when you encounter something, a city or monsters it zooms in, I presume to some kind of a more isometric and detailed perspective. I like that!

The fact that NWN2 never got the mod community that NWN1 had is a damn shame. SoZ added so many good features for potential mods.

Morkar Left

Indeed. The OC with the SoZ map and trading system (plus death system and dialog system) would have been an awesome game, clunky engine or not. Hell, the whole fortress management would have make sense then and the game would have some feeling of exploration finally.

jewboy

Arbiter
It's not yet clear whether the engine is going to be 2D or 3D. For all we know one of the engines they're considering is 2D and the other 3D. Makes no difference to me. I just hope MCA is allowed to tell some good stories and write some bitchin' dialogue. All this talk of an 'open world' makes me nervous. Presumably the style will be someting like FoNV which had an open world, but also had a well told main story arc. The problem with FoNV was that once the story was over it was boring. I guess because the combat kind of sucked. Not very strategic at all.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The fact that NWN2 never got the mod community that NWN1 had is a damn shame. SoZ added so many good features for potential mods.
That was because the toolset was frankly a barely usable mess when it was first released, and there was no support for hakpacks initially which made developing/installing mods a huge pain in the ass.

It only really became intuitive and usable with SoZ and there have been a few nice mods released since then.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Building Your own Ranger Base? Sweet. As to Iso and Top down something like in Arcanum? Although after playing Planet Stronghold I really want it in fully 2D graphics with quick combat and lot longer Story and complex C&C instead of Fallout Tactics Clone.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Is it safe to say that this could be a historical event for cRPGs?

Shannow

Waster of Time
The SoZ overland map was the poor man's Mount&Blade overland map. So if it's going to be something in that vein inXile should rather look to M&B.
But from the description it's going to be (slightly) different from all the overland maps (FO, SoZ, M&B, JA, etc) in that they really want to provide a zoomed out state, "that does not change to a battlemap" when you have an encounter but simply zooms in. Sounds ok, but as long as I don't see more of it, I'll prefer the FO or JA way...

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
in that they really want to provide a zoomed out state, "that does not change to a battlemap" when you have an encounter but simply zooms in. Sounds ok, but as long as I don't see more of it, I'll prefer the FO or JA way...

I thought Brian meant that while exploring a town for example and getting into a fight then the characters wouldn't be pulled into a JRPG style separate screen to resolve combat. I got the impression that there was already a delineation between the overland map to give a sense of scale and the zoomed in map would be the location exploration and combat map just as in FO.

It's obvious for FO fans but he probably was explaining it more for those that only just got on board or were thinking about it and didn't know exactly what this kind of gameplay entails.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Something oblique and cavalier preferably but I'm already happy if it will be 2d and not pseudo isometric 3d with fixed camera.
2D? Whats 2D?

Planet-stronghold-2b.jpg

Two Dimentional - This Style as in Stronghold Planet or sprites as in Original Fallouts/Arcanum.
And I agree with Dwarven Food, I would rather take bigger game in 2D than small in 3-D.... besides it looks better anyway for the same ammount of $ spend. I doubt Brain will manage to write new engine make the game and release it in one year bug free. Why he don't want to use FT engine? Should be cheap now.

hiver

I know what fucking 2D fucking is! Are you fucking insane? You want me to kick your ass? Shut the fuck up!

Im asking what will be 2D in Wasteland2!!!!
... ahh... he said "if it will be"... i read it early in the morning so it seemed like hes saying that something actually will be 2D.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Something oblique and cavalier preferably but I'm already happy if it will be 2d and not pseudo isometric 3d with fixed camera.
2D? Whats 2D?
Sprites (pixel graphics) instead of rendered polygons or whatever is used these days..

EDIT: sorry Hiver I'm also half asleep and did not yet read your explanation. But I'm leaving the post to provide more clarity to what I meant, which is not necessarily how Commisar Draco pictured it. (But possible).

hiver

:makes another coffee:

..ugghh....

:mad:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom