Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A Thought on PST

DorrieB

Liturgist
WouldBeCreator said:
What I think *you're* missing is that PS:T is a game, not a book, and in a game, you cannot have a Doomed hero without expecting it to discourage players from replaying the game.

I dunno, I think you're being a bit restrictive: 'A game should be *this* and a book should be *that*'. And I'm hardly likely to agree that it discourages players from replaying it, when I myself have played it several times, am I?

WouldBeCreator said:
Making Oedipus a game would be a collosal failure (for many reasons).

I disagree. I'd love to play that game, if well done. Likely give all those censors a conniption, though.

WouldBeCreator said:
The better analogy, methinks, is to Hector, not to Oedipus.

All right, Hector then. Imagine Hector says feck off to Achilles and stays inside where it's safe (for the time being). Do you suppose anyone would give a damn about Hector then? Sound to you like the subject for a poem? Sure you'd only wonder why anyone even bothered to mention Hector in the first place. The hero has to meet his doom, or he's nobody. If you were playing Hector in a game, and you had the choice to walk away and not fight Achilles at the end, what the hell kind of a story would that be?

WouldBeCreator said:
My debate with you has never been about the *literary* merits of the ending.

You'd sacrifice those merits for a more conventional game-playing format. But without it's literary aspirations, what would PS:T be?

WouldBeCreator said:
To be sure, you don't need to include frivolous endings, like TNO hosltering his axe, grabbing FFG in one arm and Annah in the other and crooning, "Now it's time you saw what my regeneration can *really* do!"

You've intrigued me, what can he do? Is it about keeping it up for longer, or is it bdsm stuff?

WouldBeCreator

Scholar
If you were playing Hector in a game, and you had the choice to walk away and not fight Achilles at the end, what the hell kind of a story would that be?

An open-ended story in which the player had a say, rather than a predetermined story that is based on the writer's preferences.

You'd sacrifice those merits for a more conventional game-playing format. But without it's literary aspirations, what would PS:T be?

You see this as either / or. But it's not. There are infinitely many times that TNO has choices throughout the course of the game. If you play him as a continual jerk, uninterested in the plight of others, who resolves conflict through combat and never takes on companions but for the purpose of advancing his quest, then its "literary aspirations" are gone, anyhow. PS:T already allows you largely to ruin the story by choices you make and by the way you play. That's even true of the ending, too: if you play TNO as a villain then the ending doesn't work because it just *doesn't make sense* for a villain to become a tragic *hero.* That's why you need the deus ex machina mind-control of the merging process to assure that neither the player nor contents of the game has any say on what decision TNO makes.

Of course under my proposal there would still be the *option* to face fate. But if it's not actually a choice, then it's not heroic. That's why I invoke Hector, not Oedipus. Hector, of course, had the choice. What makes him heroic is that he took it. There's no sign that he's tiring when he's running around the walls of Ilium, nor any evidence that those high walls would've yielded to a siege of nine times nine years. I doubt that Hector would have been duped so easily by Odysseus's ruse.

The ultimate scene of the Iliad, for me, is when Hector returns to the city and goes to see his son -- who will in time be murdered. Hector ("of the gleaming helmet") terrifies the boy with his helmet's martial aspect (after all, it was made "with a crest of horse-hair that nodded menacingly above it"), takes it off, comforts the child. His wife weeps, would have him not return to battle. He assures he that he must, that if death comes, it will come at its appointed time. But unlike Oedipus -- for whom fate bends itself to see him dead -- there's no evidence in the Illiad that if Hector had stayed in the city, sans helmet, he could not have lived to see Scamandrius grow up to be a man. His departure from the city is meaningful because it entails a cost (the risk of destruction).

Giving the player the choice there would be absolutely critical. So too would be giving him the option of running from the final battle. So too, if the player played Achilles, would be giving him the choice to treat Hector honorably and not desecrate his corpse. Or to refuse to restore the corpse to Priam.

Those choices are the ones that give the character meaning. So to give the *player's game* meaning, they must remain choices, not merely events.

Furthermore, I seriously quarrel with your attitude that TNO's story would lack literary merit if he rejected death, again. After all, the answer to Ravel's riddle could well be "nothing." Restored to his memories and his past selves, TNO is crippled by his past pride, and empowered by new power is convinced that he can succeeded when past selves failed. That would be a modern tragedy, rather than a classical one, but it would still work.

I'm hardly likely to agree that it discourages players from replaying it, when I myself have played it several times, am I?

Well, I've played PS:T several times, too. But it's still an impediment. I can recognize flaws in a game I'm fond of. I think that's what differentiates a sensible person from a fanatic. I'd be much more eager to play PS:T again if I thought that I could make some difference in TNO's fate.

You might want to check out an interactive fiction game called Tapestry. (Or Metamorphoses.) Both handle endings in an interesting way. Basically, as you play through them, you're not even aware that there's an alternative path to be taking. Then, at the end, you get some sense that there might be one, and can do it again and see things a different way. (Adam Cadre made a more trivial game in the same vein called 9:05.) If your concern is with making sure the player sees the "right ending" for the game, then do it that way. Have the ending a nonchoice, but have the decision TNO makes shaped by the way the player has played him, *not* by the merged-in personalities at the end. If I play a selfish egoistic TNO, let him go off and say "Pike the Planes."

Most players will play the LG version of TNO that fits best with the story you like, and will get the ending you want them to get. But subsequent plays through would lead to different outcomes, inviting the player to become meaningfully involved in TNO's choices, rather than just trying to get as much backstory out of the game as possible (which is the playstyle the game currently encourages).

In any event, if you like linear fiction masquerading as a game, there's a lot of IF I'd recommend. Photopia probably highest on the list. (I'm a big fan of IF, as I am of PS:T.)

Zomg

Arbiter
I always feel guilty for not playing contemporary IF. I've run through most of the Infocom stuff at one point or another, but I've never gotten into the recent spate of hobbyist IF. Can you recommend a "primer"-type short list of recent IF games?

WouldBeCreator

Scholar
Absolutely! I had a detailed "learn to love IF" sequence I gave to a friend once, but I can't find it now, so I'll have to make do with a little creative recollecting.

(1) Photopia. This has to be the starting point, because it is easy and moving. Consider it a tutorial on basic IF interacting, although the conversation mechanism ("TALK TO [NPC]" + talk trees) is different from what is used in most other games ("ask / tell [NPC] about [TOPIC]).

(2) BABEL or Shade or Tapestry or City of Secrets or Slouching Toward Bedlam. All are story-heavy (in a sense) games, but all of them feature some puzzles, so they'll help acclimate you to the more complex IF interaction environment.

(3) Anchorhead. Lovecraftian brilliance for 2/3 of the game, frustration for last 1/3. It's got wonderful puzzles, sharp prose, etc. Two clues: save before crossing the bridge and if your trip proves worthless, reload, or else you'll put yourself in an impossible situation; find the needle before leaving the cell or you're again in an impossible situation.

(4) Metamorphoses or Edifice. Metamorphoses: like Myst, with text, and branching endings. Edifice: solve puzzles at major moments in human evolution; pedestrian writing, setting, etc., with one of the greatest puzzles ever designed.

(5) Spider & Web. Intensely challenging puzzles with a mindblowing moment. I'll say no more.

(6) Savoir Faire. Brilliantly conceived and written, too big and too tough for me. But it strikes me that some would love it.

(7) Galatea or So Far or Varicella. Each is apparently intensely important to the IF community, and each I was unable to complete for various reasons (Varicella, too tough and too much reading; So Far, too tough and too many options and impossible situations / death; Galatea, couldn't get into). If you want to be IF-literate, though, you should play 'em.

Those will get you to the point where you know what authors you like and what type of games you'll enjoy. Other popular ones are Rameses (totally uninteractive, though), Worlds Apart (an IF "novel" that turned me off by its wordiness and always seemed dauntingly huge), Christminster (the peak of the "recreate your university"), I-0 (win through sex!), and The Muldoon Legacy (never tried it).

aboyd

Liturgist
WouldBeCreator said:
It doesn't matter what you want to call it, fate, punishment, redemption, whatever. My point is simply that as a player, you have no control over where he ends up, and where he ends up is godawful. It doesn't matter if it's the right thing to do. It doesn't matter if it helps him overcome his cognitive dissonance. The only way his ending is the "ideal" ending on your account is if your ideal is to be true to oneself (one's fate?) no matter what. But that's a rare and perhaps utterly unpracticed ideal. If I were put in TNO's position, it is not the fate I would've chosen.
*shrug*

It's not the fate I would have chosen either, but it felt right to me. I played through 5 or 6 times, and on one binge, I sat there with a cheat guide and replayed the ending over & over to get every possible outcome, just to see them all. To me, it DID matter that it was the right thing to do, and it matched up with my ideals just fine, every time.

At this point, I don't think we're arguing about the correct interpretation. We've all just stated many interpretations, and apparently, are now restating them because people don't agree. But we won't. Ever -- the game's ending, however closed and on rails some people might find it to be, is just far too open to various conclusions. TNO died. Or didn't. Annah follows him. Or dies trying. Or doesn't. TNO's companions are freed. Or are forced to wait until his death is true. TNO is redeemed. TNO is unredeemable. TNO fights under contract. TNO fights under punishment. We can argue all this shit, but pretty much everyone here has provided in-game quotes to support their interpretations. So at best, all we can conclude is that the game was deliberately ambiguous, so as to allow people to have the interpretation that best suits them.

-T

WouldBeCreator

Scholar
Err, I haven't seen a single in-game quote from Drakon or Bryce. In fact, I'm not sure anyone but me has been resorting to them.

I think there are two debates running in tandem -- one about why TNO goes to the Gray Wastes at the end and one about whether the player should have any say in the ending. You may think that the former is insoluble (I'm not sure why -- again, I haven't seen a lick of in-game evidence to support the contract hypothesis, despite your assurances that "everyone has provided in-game quotes to support their interpretations") but the latter is still a live issue. And the more important one, by wide measure.

*Especially* if the reason TNO is going back is a stupid contract. If that's the only reason he's going to the Blood War, then the ending is totally trivial. He gives up all his opportunity to do good just so that he's not in breach of contract? Pfaw.

aboyd

Liturgist
WouldBeCreator said:
Setting that aside, the problem is that the regret that changes TNO at the end is one we just don't know. It's *not* the regret for what we as players have seen and learned, but rather the regret gained from merging with the incarnations and TTO. Basically, our avatar makes a choice for us based on reasons we don't know. It's a bit like how the game won't give us TNO's name. It reinforces that TNO in fact is *not* our avatar, but rather an independent who, grudgingly, let's us make some choices for him. But not the ultimate choice.

So we don't get to choose, TNO makes a dubious decision, and he makes it for reasons we don't know.
FWIW, I completely and fully felt TNO's regret. I felt that he was acting on the regrets that I had seen, and had learned about, and I was fully invested in that. Off the top of my head, I...
  • learned from Deionarra how she had been waiting even in death for someone who wasn't coming
  • learned from the sensory stones how I had betrayed her
  • learned from her father (I think?) how I had hurt his family, and how in at least one playthrough, I was unable to make it right for him
  • learned from Ravel how I had created the shadows by stealing the souls of others, killing innocent people in my place every time I had to die
  • learned from a strange woman in one of the parts of the city how I had another lover in a previous incarnation, and how I had used her, too
  • learned from various sources about my own first incarnation, and how I had caused the suffering of thousands
  • learned how I had taken advantage of Dakkon, tormenting him with a neverending contract that was predicated upon a lie of omission
  • learned how I had manipulated Ignus into a tortured existence, and possibly destroyed parts of Sigil in doing so
All these, along with a few others that I'm pretty sure I'm failing to recall, presented to me a very compelling reason for TNO's actions. Of course, building upon my previous post, if you just didn't see that in-game, or if you did see it and just didn't feel it provided the answers you needed, well, then you didn't. It is again a point where we got something different out of it, and the horse can't be put back in the barn now.

-T

WouldBeCreator

Scholar
I think there are reasons in what you see for why TNO does what he does. But my sense is that those are not *his* reasons, since, for example, you can reach the same ending by being completely indifferent to the suffering of others throughout the course of the game. Therefore, it cannot be the experiences of *this* incarnation that drive the decision. No?

aboyd

Liturgist
WouldBeCreator said:
Err, I haven't seen a single in-game quote from Drakon or Bryce. In fact, I'm not sure anyone but me has been resorting to them.
Yes, you are probably correct. I'll restate what I said, because I was using shorthand that only I was going to be able to interpret correctly. I believe that many of the points discussed here have been discussed many times before on the Codex, and in many of those discussions, in-game text has been used to bolster each person's interpretation, much as you have done here. This discussion is not unique. :(

In addition, although I've not quoted in-game text here to back up my interpretation of the ending, I did play through 5 or 6 times, and my reactions to the ending were obviously based upon a reading of the game text and the game actions, so I'm relatively comfortable with my feelings about the game.

However, I disavow the whole "under contract" interpretation. I think you disproved it, and even if you didn't, such an interpretation is at odds with the endgame I experienced, so I'm happy to leave that point alone. I would note that I've not read a chunk of page 4 and 5 of this discussion yet, so my reply to your comments on page 4 did not account for any craziness that has happened since. I'm trying to catch up, but you & others keep making interesting comments, and so I'm not getting through it all fast enough.

So, apologies for not saying all that from the start. Tossing out "we've all quoted text" or whatever I said was obviously inaccurate, and stated only because I had all sorts of qualifiers going on in my head that I failed to get down in print.

WouldBeCreator said:
I think there are two debates running in tandem -- one about why TNO goes to the Gray Wastes at the end and one about whether the player should have any say in the ending. You may think that the former is insoluble (I'm not sure why -- again, I haven't seen a lick of in-game evidence to support the contract hypothesis, despite your assurances that "everyone has provided in-game quotes to support their interpretations") but the latter is still a live issue. And the more important one, by wide measure.

*Especially* if the reason TNO is going back is a stupid contract. If that's the only reason he's going to the Blood War, then the ending is totally trivial.
Point conceded, but I'm not really arguing that point anyway. That was other people debating with you. The debate between you & I was basically, why did we get different things from the ending? And my conclusion was that there is enough left open to interpretation that we can never reach a definitive answer. For example, how does TNO die, finally? We don't know. But we've prognosticated. There is no in-game text that puts that matter to rest. And yet, one's interpretation of TNO's fate is really important to how a person feels about the endgame. Personally, I viewed it as bittersweet -- he was riding off into the sunset, not a hero, but no longer the villian. He had become a man, willing to accept the consequences of his actions. To me, it was not just mortality, but true manliness -- no more childlike attempts to wriggle out of the punishment. And, importantly, I never thought about TNO's life in the war, beyond assuming that there would be a lot of fighting. To me, if he suffered eternally and that was horribly unjustified, I never dwelled upon it. If anything, I felt that, of all the horrible endings that were possible, the game developers gave us an ending that had some hope to it, because we're free to believe whatever we wish about TNO's fate.

-T

WouldBeCreator

Scholar
Well, I think I've been unclear. By trying to defend a fairly modest position (that the fatalist ending detracts from future plays through (playthroughs?)) against fairly relentless "there is nothing wrong with PS:T!!!" charges, I think I've come off as harsher than I meant. PS:T is my favorite RPG and one of my favorite games. It was the first RPG that I felt I would not be able to write myself -- and I still feel that way about it (that I couldn't match it), despite having had some successes as a game writer and as a fiction writer.

My point is not that the ending is bad. The ending is very good. It's even a very good game ending for the first run through, because I think most players will play through as a reflective, LG (or at least Good) TNO who wants to right the wrongs of the past. But I think it's not a *great* ending -- because it doesn't quite convey how horrible the Blood War will be for TNO -- and I think it's quite bad as a game ending for replaying.

I started this thread with the following observation: "It occured to me that one thing PS:T really drops the ball on is letting you go through with significantly different builds to experience significantly different games." But as I've debated, I realize the problem is more fundamental than that. The game also robs you of the most meaningful choice in the game, for no apparent reason other than that the writers wanted to give the game a certain closure.

The first time I played through, it was a wrenching (but slightly odd) ending. (More on "slightly odd" in one sec.) I think TNO probably made the right choice, and certainly a manly, respectable one. The problem is, TNO made it, not me.

On the slightly odd point, just this: facing one's punishment winds up being a massive free-for-all battle where TNO gets to use all those nifty superpowers that he just gained that the player never got to try because the final boss battle isn't actually a battle. I can't tell you how many posts on the old BIS boards talked about how he'd be able to win the Blood War, fight his way to freedom, etc., etc. In any event, all he's been doing all game long is fighting silly battles and killing people. So "facing the music" winds up seeming fairly modest. Unlike in Doom I or Half Life, the final battle isn't one that's instantly thrust upon you and certain to end in your death. TNO willingly runs down the hill and joins the fray, and he's got ludicrous powers.

Maybe I'm just too steeped in Greco-Roman / Judeo-Christian culture or something, but as the game depicts it, TNO's final price just doesn't seem that high. (It *is* high if you think TNO is fundamentally a good person and by the end has realized how attrocious violence can be. But remember, a sadistic TNO goes there just the same.) I mean, it's a chafe that you have to leave all those friends you like and that you're not likely to have the same stimulating conversations, but still. It's not that big a deal.

The punishment doesn't fit the crime (there's nothing talionic or poetic about the justice he faces) and it seems more like a pander to gamers' hack n' slash sensibilities than anything else. I mean, I guess it's what he was running from in the first incarnation, but I dunno . . . .

I mean, Dorrie loves comparing him to Oedipus, but what happens to Oedipus? His gouges out his own eyes, discovers he's killed his father and slept with his mother, his sons die and are unburried, etc. etc. He faces *real* suffering. *Psychological* suffering. Facing his sins doesn't make them go poof.

Put otherwise, TNO goes to Valhalla when he dies, minus (maybe?) the feasting. Big whoop. :)

aboyd

Liturgist
WouldBeCreator said:
Drakron said:
Nope, it was finding out who he was and correct the whole flawed immortality deal.

And sorry, planes are of absolute aligment ... D&D is about absolutes and it does not matter if someone commited "many sins" and similar jewish-christian crap since as far the planes care what matters is what aligment is the soul.

There is no god or anything to go around punish and reward souls, what you *are* is were you get sent, not what you *did*.

Snicker. Told you he would ignore the game text. What a joke you are, Drakron.
I think you've proven your point. Don't be upset that Drakron disagrees with you.

WouldBeCreator said:
@ DorrieB

What I think *you're* missing is that PS:T is a game, not a book, and in a game, you cannot have a Doomed hero without expecting it to discourage players from replaying the game. Especially when the Doom is so utterly horrendous. You're concerned primarily with what makes the best story. Well and good. I've not quibbled with the fact that the ending to PS:T would be the best ending if PS:T were a book. Heck, I think it's the best ending even though PS:T is a game. But it's just not an ending that invites replaying. It's an ending that discourages it.
Now this point, I don't concede. What you're suggesting flies in the face of my feelings about the game, and other people's. I think you would get far less argument from others if you simply qualified your comments with "for me" or "in my case." You aren't having success arguing the way you are because you're writing in such a way that it appears you are extrapolating your feelings to represent everyone. It isn't absolute, it's not even necessarily "mostly" true. I can't say how others reacted to the endgame, but based upon it's ranking in the Codex top 10 RPGs of all time, I would guess that most people did not walk away from the game with the same feelings.

I would also note that I think you've slightly revised your point, now. I don't recall your original argument being that the ending discourages replaying, but that somehow you characterized the ending as inferior or unsatisfying. And of course, for those that voted the game into the Codex top 10, they probably characterize it differently. And that's the rub.

WouldBeCreator said:
PS:T is the same way. The ending spits in your face the fact that nothing you did mattered. But it does more than that. By making the final choice not a choice, it robs it of emotional force.
Ah. Yes, there it is. There is the characterization I was referring to. Again, what you're stating is patently untrue in my case -- I was robbed of nothing. And I'm kind of offended that I've tried to understand your point of view, but you're apparently not heard or dismissed mine (I'm not sure how else to explain that you've reiterated your point about how "meaningless" the ending is, even though I at least have stated that I took great meaning from the ending, and possibly others have too). You've got to stop speaking in absolutes, as if your experience is everyone's. So let's leave it at this -- you felt robbed of emotional force, I didn't, and others have various feelings about it. Therefore, the most we can do with your argument is to say that if the developers had coded the game differently for you, it would have made you happier, possibly at the expense of others who loved the idea that this is how the story had to end. Therefore, there is no easy clear agreement here, as what satisfies one will not satisfy others.

Game developers, be warned. Your games may never satisfy everyone. Trying to do so may mire you in failure. I'm looking at you, Bethesda.

-T

WouldBeCreator

Scholar
Well, two quick points:

(1) The whole project of qualifying every feeling we have with "I think" or "for me" or "IMHO" strikes me as silly. Obviously I'm speaking about PS:T on the basis of my experience with it, and obviously a lot of people will have different experiences. I'm not dismissing yours as non-existent, I just think that it's a clouded perception. That is, love of PS:T makes it difficult to objectively consider the ending. I'm sure *any* ending on the game would produce the same fanatic loyalty, unless it were something totally silly. FWIW, I'm not the only one. DorrieB declares papishly, "It isn't about redemption and it certainly isn't about TNO expiating any crimes." Not "I don't think it's about redemption . . . "

(2) While my tone may have become somewhat hyperbolic, it's worth taking that in the context of the continual obnoxious sniping from Bryce and Drakron, both of whom repeatedly invented things that weren't in the game and then called me an idiot for not remembering them. And while you might find my tone dismissive, at least I didn't say, "You don't get the game. Replay it and figure it out, idiot."

My goat was gotten up when DorrieB called Kairal "foolish indeed" for saying that the ending discourage him from replaying. Rat Keeng called my defense of Kairal's sentiments "one of the dumbest things I've ever read." Bryce patronizingly tells me I need to replay and "think things through a little better." DorrieB trivializes me down to, "If you can't see anything beyond 'He'd been evil, so he went to Hell. The End', then you just didn't get it, and you do need to play it through again." Bryce throws in, "Again, you just don't get it . . . . (and cites again to his invented contract theory)" Apparently I need a story that is "concrete and obvious."

I'm sorry that after going through four pages of having people continuously call me stupid, I dipped closer to their level and snapped back. It's pretty clear from reading what I wrote that I don't think the ending is a bad ending. I *do think* it's bad game writing.

The ending isn't robbed of *all* emotional force by having TNO make the choice rather than the player, but it's robbed of a lot of it. I don't see how you don't see that.

No one, not you, not Dorrie, and certainly not the trolls, has come up with a single plausible argument for how the game would've been worsened by letting the *player* have some agency at the end. Dorrie's theory is that then the player might make a bad choice and the story wouldn't give the closure she thinks it should have. If you want to talk about self-important absolutism, that's it right there.

I'm all for the current ending. Just make it a *choice.* Let a self-sacrificing character go to the Blood War. Let a mistakenly optismitic one choose to go do good but not accept his fate. Let a selfish one rule from the Fortress as a demipower. The point is, that lets the player relate to the ending in a meaningful way. Or, take my alternative approach and have the ending based on what the player did along the way. That would discourage the "replay the last ten minutes fifteen times" silliness that having it all done in dialogue would have.

The other thing I haven't heard a good argument for is why a LE or CE TNO would go to the Blood War. Now, if your answer is, "Because post-merge, he's different," okay, fine. But that means that you're agreeing with me that the ending annihilates the character the player created. Other than that, what's the reason? That regret will change the nature of *every* man, no matter how debased and egoistic? (Maybe that's the Dorian Gray answer. . . .) If the ending doesn't work for LE or CE, then it could be improved as a game ending. Period. That doesn't mean get rid of the current ending. It means offer another one.

Endings are *cheap* compared to all other plot branches, so long as the plot supports them. I think the plot supports at least a half-dozen endings (each tragic in its own way). So why does it effectively only give us one?

aboyd

Liturgist
WouldBeCreator said:
I think there are reasons in what you see for why TNO does what he does. But my sense is that those are not *his* reasons, since, for example, you can reach the same ending by being completely indifferent to the suffering of others throughout the course of the game. Therefore, it cannot be the experiences of *this* incarnation that drive the decision. No?
No. At least, not in my interpretation. I think it CAN be the experiences... well, not the experiences of this incarnation, but the awareness of the actions of many previous incarnations. And the remorse for that.

Of course, you can say that a CE character would feel no remorse, and thus, it must be something else that compells the ending. Personally, I would suggest that the developers simply didn't design the endgame for a CE character. So I wouldn't let the fact that you can play a CE character muddy the waters. It's like a movie with what the IMDB calls "goofs." A "goof" may undermine a plot point. But because it's a goof, it's clearly not intended to change the story. Most people can understand that, and accept the "vision" that the filmmaker intended. For me, it's the same here. I'm writing off the CE character as a "goof" that in no way undermines the plot that the game developer was driving toward.

-T

WouldBeCreator

Scholar
Writing off the CE character as a goof confirms my original point (that PS:T characters to a single build and single style of play). But it seems weird, given that the game gives such a range of possibilities for being evil up to the end, whole quests and interactions. That's like saying that Jar Jar Binks was a "goof" not a flaw. On IMDB, goofs are usually unintentional oversights, not deliberate but inadequate work.

--EDIT--

But it's not just that the ending doesn't accomodate CE characters. It doesn't accomodate a whole range of good characters. For example, would this dialogue be so out of character for TNO. (Excuse the off the cuff lame writing.)

I AM STILL THE ONE YOU KNOW — BUT MY PERSPECTIVE HAS… CHANGED. I HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN YOU, IF THAT IS YOUR FEAR.

Fall-From-Grace smiled again, the same sad smile as before. “No, that was not my fear.”

I CANNOT REMAIN HERE FOR MUCH LONGER. MY PUNISHMENT CALLS, AND FATE AND TIME SHALL SOON BE HERE. I WILL RETURN YOU TO SIGIL, IF YOU WISH.

“That is not my wish.” Fall-From-Grace reached forward, and her hand lightly touched my arm. There was a slight tingling sensation, barely felt, then she took it away. “I will find you again, no matter where in the Lower Planes you will be — just as you shall be able to find me.”

NO. No. I CANNOT -- I will not -- abandon my friends once more. I cannot . . . . I will not . . . abandon *you,* Grace.

Morte hurried to my side. "But, ah, chief, what about . . . you know, the fiends and all that? And the price to pay?"

Vhailor warned me once that my suffering might have repaid the crimes of my past, but that it would mean nothing for the crimes of my future. It would be a crime to leave now, knowing so much, owing so much to so many.

Dak'kon approached with weary eyes. "*Know* that the chains of your past are broken. Is it your *will* that they be reforged?"

Once, I thought nothing of the connections between mortals. But now I *know* that those ties are not chains of slavery, but of friendship, of loyalty, of love.

Dak'kon shook his head sadly. "*Know* that there will be a price for this, too."

I will endure that price, but I will not turn my back on what it means to be mortal, what it means to be a man, again. But you are *free* Dak'kon. All of you are free. Death is coming for me, and I would not put you between us.

Etc., etc. Cheesy, I know. The writing is no Avellone and it's late and I'm tired (and I am t3h sux0rz) and rushing it. You might not like that ending. I certainly wouldn't want it to be the only ending. But I've definitely played a character through PS:T for whom it would be the *right* ending. (Remember, there's no reason for him to zoom right down to the Wastes, since he's not dead yet, unless you buy Maldonado's weird "he's already died so he's dead" theory.)

aboyd

Liturgist
Whew! I'm finally caught up with all the posts, I think.

WouldBeCreator said:
Obviously I'm speaking about PS:T on the basis of my experience with it, and obviously a lot of people will have different experiences. I'm not dismissing yours as non-existent, I just think that it's a clouded perception. That is, love of PS:T makes it difficult to objectively consider the ending.
Right. Because, as my interpretation is different from yours, mine must not be objective and must be clouded. :roll:

I guess some people simply have to drive toward a "one true philosophy" and cannot possibly maintain two competing ideas as equal. Oh well.

WouldBeCreator said:
While my tone may have become somewhat hyperbolic, it's worth taking that in the context of the continual obnoxious sniping from Bryce and Drakron, both of whom repeatedly invented things that weren't in the game and then called me an idiot for not remembering them. And while you might find my tone dismissive, at least I didn't say, "You don't get the game. Replay it and figure it out, idiot."
I was just as put-off by Dorrie's snide dismissiveness as you were. However, I wrote that off as hopeless, whereas I did not write off your comments as hopeless, and thus, I engaged you. What I'm saying is this: the name calling can be distressing, because it appears very effective in the face of someone calmly making good points. I merely wanted to mention that I acknowledge your good points, the name-calling did not diminish them. So there's no reason to drop to that level.

WouldBeCreator said:
The ending isn't robbed of *all* emotional force by having TNO make the choice rather than the player, but it's robbed of a lot of it. I don't see how you don't see that.
Because that's not how my brain works, and I understand that people are built differently. To me, the feeling that "it has to end like this" drove home the tragic conclusion. Taking that away would have taken away some of the punch. I understand that for you it would have been many times better that way. Acknowledging your point doesn't negate mine. We are simply different. I don't find your opinion inferior, but I don't find mine to be inferior or "clouded" either. We want different games. I happen to be lucky in that the game was exactly what I wanted (well, the ending was right for me -- other things about the game bugged me, such as the fixed resolution and even being on rails for other parts of the game where I'd hoped for more free exploration).

WouldBeCreator said:
No one, not you, not Dorrie, and certainly not the trolls, has come up with a single plausible argument for how the game would've been worsened by letting the *player* have some agency at the end.
I've stated my reason a couple times. But even still, that's not what I was arguing. So I'm not going to leap into a defense of the one true ending. I will simply state that the ending that was provided was conveniently the ending that satisfied me.

WouldBeCreator said:
I'm all for the current ending. Just make it a *choice.* Let a self-sacrificing character go to the Blood War. Let a mistakenly optismitic one choose to go do good but not accept his fate. Let a selfish one rule from the Fortress as a demipower. The point is, that lets the player relate to the ending in a meaningful way.
That hasn't quite been your point the whole way through, so again, I'm not much for arguing it, and even if I argued and lost, it wouldn't change the outcome of the previous posts. I guess Dorrie or others might suggest that your point has all the caveats that come with a "hindsight is 20/20" exercise. In other words, it's long done, and many people seem to have been positively affected by the game, so complaining about something that was mostly positive might be an exercise in futility. However, it's just as likely that Dorrie would say, "Huh? We weren't debating the option of more endings, merely the statement that the delivered ending is hollow." Maybe Dorrie should speak for him/her self.

WouldBeCreator said:
The other thing I haven't heard a good argument for is why a LE or CE TNO would go to the Blood War.
Yeah, I mostly just don't care. I never played a character like that, and didn't get the impression that the devs built the game for such a thing. So if you'd like, I'll say this: I concede that the game is screwed up for a CE character, but I can't get worked up about it.

WouldBeCreator said:
If the ending doesn't work for LE or CE, then it could be improved as a game ending. Period. That doesn't mean get rid of the current ending. It means offer another one.
No, there are those absolutist underpinnings, again. For me, if the game doesn't work for a CE aligned player, to the point that many people such as yourself found it flawed, I'd remove the option to play a CE character before I'd change the ending. Hmm, actually, maybe adding dialogue options for it would be fine with me -- my characters would never have selected such options, so I would have felt just as railroaded into the finale I got, which as I mentioned was quite effective for me (being railroaded, that is).

But really, given the freedom as a developer to choose a solution, I suspect I probably would have done what they did -- drive the game toward a conclusion that players would naturally take, so that the ending seemed appropriate and seemed to mesh with all the activity the player had experienced. I'm still liking the idea of more dialogue options, though, so I might've picked that as an additional option, if I felt it was worth the effort.

aboyd

Liturgist
WouldBeCreator said:
The writing is no Avellone and it's late and I'm tired (and I am t3h sux0rz) and rushing it. You might not like that ending. I certainly wouldn't want it to be the only ending. But I've definitely played a character through PS:T for whom it would be the *right* ending. (Remember, there's no reason for him to zoom right down to the Wastes, since he's not dead yet, unless you buy Maldonado's weird "he's already died so he's dead" theory.)
I think I buy Maldonado's weird theory. Maybe. But anyway, that's not my point in responding.

I think your devised ending is interesting. I think they could have included it. I don't however, think that it bolsters your original point that the main ending was shallow. I find the existing content to be highly compelling. If your alternative was included, I suspect that it would have simply been one of those less-cool endings that I only found when I bothered to get out the cheat guide and explore every possible line of text.

So sure, I like the new argument you've put forward. Have more endings.

EDIT: And on that note, I realized that the two of us practically dominated page 5 of this discussion. So I think I'll take a break and leave page 6 to everyone else. Have fun.

-T

Mantiis

Cipher
I'm all for the current ending. Just make it a *choice.* Let a self-sacrificing character go to the Blood War. Let a mistakenly optismitic one choose to go do good but not accept his fate. Let a selfish one rule from the Fortress as a demipower. The point is, that lets the player relate to the ending in a meaningful way. Or, take my alternative approach and have the ending based on what the player did along the way. That would discourage the "replay the last ten minutes fifteen times" silliness that having it all done in dialogue would have.

Ill try and be brief 'cause reading is hard.

I think you are possibly missing the point - the name of the game is torment, this kind of hints at what is going on. You make it seem like TNO had a choice where really he had only two:

1. Continue to be bitch slapped by TTO and "live".
2. Defeat TTO, die (because one cannot live without the other) and then pay for his/your/TNO's crimes

The moment TNO wakes up on the slab he is in torment and damned - he cannot be saved no matter how good or evil or lawful or chaotic you play him (this is hinted at in the sensorium).

In this game the ending is not why you play; you play to discover why and what you are. This game is a tradegy in the true sense of the word.

WouldBeCreator

Scholar
aboyd said:
However, I wrote that off as hopeless, whereas I did not write off your comments as hopeless, and thus, I engaged you.

Flattery will get you nowhere!

Right. Because, as my interpretation is different from yours, mine must not be objective and must be clouded. :roll:

Well, what else do you want? I want to convince you that I'm right and you're wrong, not that we're both subjectively right. I may not convince you -- and my approach may be ineffective given your tastes -- but I'm not going to say, "Both are equally valid."

I'm not really sure how to explain my sentiments on this well. There is a degree of subjectivity to all this and whether one enjoys the ending is a matter of taste as much as anything else. But there is also a degree of objectivity, I think, particularly because this is not just art but also a game. Objectively, I think a game fails when it does not let players do what they want or provide a valid reason for them not doing so.

I also think you're mistaking my efforts to *objectively* judge PS:T as me restating my *subjective* feelings about the game as objective analysis. I loved PS:T. The ending blew me away. But when I read the post about how the ending discourages replaying, it struck a chord with me and I started thinking about it objectively. Or, as objectively as a I could. PS:T is a game I place on a pedestal and adore. So it's not a matter of making the ending "many times better for me." It was many times better than almost any other ending to any other game I've ever played. It's a matter of figuring out whether it could've been done better from an objective "theory of game design" standpoint. I am convinced it could've.

Because that's not how my brain works, and I understand that people are built differently. To me, the feeling that "it has to end like this" drove home the tragic conclusion. Taking that away would have taken away some of the punch.

I just disagree really, really strongly with this. Passionately, as is probably clear from my posts. I don't think players need to be swaddled. And the inevitability you're talking about could be accomplished just as well by having the endings preordained based on the player's prior actions, but nevertheless varied based on what those actions are.

I should confess, this is something of a mission for me. Back when I was a kid, I loved jRPGs. In fact, I set out to make one, writing some 200 pages of uninteractive dialogue, gathering a team of suckers, etc., etc. Project failed. I then worked for pay on a GBC jRPG, writing another linear, uninteractive story. I then used RPG making software to make such games, adding a little interaction, but basically still telling my story. I worked at a computer game company writing linear stories for RTS games. Etc., etc.

Backing up farther, I should say that when I DMed (or "narrated" as we usually called it) games, I would inevitably steer the story. The left and the right corridor always led to the same plot twist. Etc.

Some point along the way, I played the various western RPG greats (PS:T, FO, Darksun, etc.). Which I loved.

Eventually, I started reflecting and realized that many game writers are writing games as books. Not as games. I was doing the same thing. (Indeed, my fiction writing is what had gotten me my game jobs.) But the problem was, I realized, game writing isn't fiction writing.

Adam Cadre begins Photopia with a bit of dialogue where a child asks her babysitter, "Tell me a story." The baby-sitter responds, "Wouldn't it be more fun if we told it together?" Ironically, Photopia is just a book that you click to continue. It's all Adam Cadre's story. But he was right, all the same.

It *is* more fun if we tell it together. Sometimes the story doesn't get told as well, of course. But as a writer your job is to make it so that the *player* can tell *his* story the best way possible. You facilitate it so that his inartful impulses get channeled through your labor and wind up making his avatar witty, kind, cruel, etc. in literary ways.

PS:T let me tell my own story for most of the way through. Or at least did a pretty decent job of it. The highwater mark of that is when Ravel asks you what can change the nature of a man. I sat there staring at that list for some time, racking my brain for the right answer. For my answer.

I'm sure Chris Avellone could've picked the thematically best choice from the list and written a killer line for it and tied it into fifteen other moments in the game.

But it wouldn't have been as wonderful an experience as choosing for myself.

The problem is that at the end, PS:T tells *its* story, not my or your story or Dorrie's. Having loved the game, we've all accreted our ideas onto that story so that it *feels* like our story. But at bottom, Avellone made a choice for what he thought the right move for TNO was, and that's the move TNO made. No list. No choice.

I'm not unsympathetic to the view that having a choice-list at the end would trivialize the ending a bit by inviting the repeat replay tactic. I've become more and more wedded to the idea of the "fate as shaped by the player" ending. That would still be my story -- or at least how Avellone would write the ending to my story. But right now it's how Avellone would write the ending to his story, which sometimes is my story (like the first time I played through) but sometimes isn't my story at all (like when I play as evil).

It doesn't make sense from a design standpoint and it's a disappointing move. Above all else, disappointing. That's what I started this thread with: this disappointing realization that PS:T largely was someone telling a story *at* me, not *with* me.

Is this 20/20 hindsight? I doubt it's even close to 20/20, though it's hindsight. But this board isn't just about paying homage, it's about looking forward or, if not forward, looking to ideals. To say that PS:T is done and people enjoyed it so STFU seems unproductive on a host of levels, not the least of which that the main reason I've been provoking this discussion (and others) is because I want to learn how to be a better game writer, despite having all but hung up my boots.

No, there are those absolutist underpinnings, again. For me, if the game doesn't work for a CE aligned player, to the point that many people such as yourself found it flawed, I'd remove the option to play a CE character before I'd change the ending.

Now who's being "my way or the highway"?

---EDIT---

@ aboyd

Last point. This isn't a "new argument." My position wasn't that the ending was a bad ending in its own right. It was always that the ending discouraged replay because you had no control over how your character wound up. Maybe this is a refinement of that position, but I wouldn't say I've changed my point.

@ Mantiis:

In this game the ending is not why you play; you play to discover why and what you are.

But that seems to support the idea that once you've played through once, the incentive to play through again is somewhat diminished, since you already know why and what you are, etc.

@ all:

Anyway, barring someone really getting my frothed up again, I think I'm done, too.

Mantiis

Cipher
But that seems to support the idea that once you've played through once, the incentive to play through again is somewhat diminished, since you already know why and what you are, etc.

The first time I played through I thought "Wow" and didn't know a god damned thing. The second time I learnt more but I didn't merge. The third time through I figured it out and merged and understood. Subsequent playings I changed who I played as (Am I a bastard or an angel? Ruthless or compassionate).

If the reason you play a game is solely for the ending then I would suggest playing Chrono Trigger/Cross; if you played PS:T with the help of a walkthrough then I can understand your position as it has all been spoiled for you.

The ending isn't nearly as relevant as how TNO finds out what is going on because as I said in my previous post he is doomed no matter what he does. TTO will not leave him be so he must deal with him and once he does (even if he merges) he is doomed.

In any case - why would you play it again? Assuming you have ruined the story by reading a walkthrough then you could play it again and play certain alignments and have fun with the dialogue or play different classes maybe.

Me, I play it for nostalgia and remembering how it was the first two or three times. I haven't finished it in 2 or 3 years now though but have started it numerous times.

DorrieB

Liturgist
WouldBeCreator said:
DorrieB declares papishly, "It isn't about redemption and it certainly isn't about TNO expiating any crimes." Not "I don't think it's about redemption . . . "

Too right. Papishly?

Here I thought I was being nice and having a civil argument, but since I'm such a monster, I guess I'll take my 'self-important absolutism' and feck off. How's that for 'snide dismissiveness'?

WouldBeCreator

Scholar
Hey, I have no trouble playing rough. And FWIW, I didn't include you as a troll or suggest that you were one of the ones involved in "obnoxious sniping." I just don't like when someone suggests I'm the only one fighting bareknuckle, especially when I thought I was being cleaner than most.

As for "declares papishly" -- I thought it was a rather nice construction of "pontificate," but maybe I should've used "poperily" or something. :roll:

Wild, if you Google papishly, there are only six hits, the first of which uses the word just like I did. :)

Wilder: "popishly" is actually a real word, and means what I meant when I said "papishly."

HotSnack

Cipher
I'd just like to quickly add my thoughts on the whole matter:

I don't think Drakron's comment about the contracts are completely invalid, as the impression I got during my play through was that the original TNO signed his soul away to the bloodwars in exchange for some boon of power, and that it was only after he became an all powerful conqueror because of it did he realise the huge mistake he just made. As such, it doesn't matter whether he's LG or CE, because his contract makes him an exception to the rule.

But then comes the argument that TNO is being sent to the bloodwars due to some punishment. If I remember only the original TNO claims this to be the case, but I never interpreted that to be a matter-of-fact answer. The original TNO feels a huge regret for the crimes he has done, and so he sees the bloodwars as a poetic punishment for his crimes, one that he has finally learned to embrace only after he was slain.

His situation is perhaps closest to Morpheus of the Sandman series. In the end Morpheus was a completely different man from what he originally was, righting all the wrongs he had done in the past. But still in the end he accepted his annihilation from the furies that sought to punish him for a crime. Because even when he made right all his wrongs, he saw that it was still no excuse for the crimes he had committed in the first place.

Also WouldBeCreator, I don't think your "good" and "evil" endings that you suggested would really work. The moment TNO embraces or kills his mortality is the exact moment he would be found and taken to the bloodwars. TNO can't just run off to do daring heroisms or hide out in the fortress, as the planes will suck him into the bloodwars the moment it finds him - that moment having been the part where you've embraced or killed your mortality. The only other way to have an "evil" or "good" ending would be if TNO backed out of ever entering the portal to the fortress of regrets, which would completely defeat the purpose of the entire game in the first place.

Oh and one more thing, there is no definitive answer to what can change the nature of a man. It's just that the original TNO believed that it was regret, the present TNO could even argue to TTO that it is in fact belief is what that changes the nature of a man, but even then it is just one of many answers to the riddle.

Edited for grammer.

aboyd

Liturgist
WouldBeCreator, I would note that, if you found being doomed to the Blood War to be insufferable, this page shows that there are at least 2 ways to get a non-Blood War ending. Technically, there is a third way -- you can perma-die if you die too many times in the Fortress, but in such a case you just get a "game over" screen and you're done.

-Tony

Drakron

Arcane
There are some areas of the game if you get TNO killed there ... game over.

Also you canmake TNO take the Silent King place.

First time I got in the Fortless I made the TNO kill himself since there is a dialogue path with Dioderra leading to that choice.

Tris McCall

Novice
DorrieB said:
WouldBeCreator said:
DorrieB declares papishly, "It isn't about redemption and it certainly isn't about TNO expiating any crimes." Not "I don't think it's about redemption . . . "

Too right. Papishly?

Here I thought I was being nice and having a civil argument, but since I'm such a monster, I guess I'll take my 'self-important absolutism' and feck off.

That would be a bummer. Your writing on the game has been very interesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom