Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Deathfire Kickstarter to begin on November 6th

getter77

Augur
Backer-exclusive things in general along these lines seem more of a risk than a boon---just about every time an instance of it has arisen in a Kickstarter it has been quickly, often loudly, walked right on back. What people want in general amounts to early access, quite a number want spiffy physical copies regardless of how damning the international shipping situation is becoming in general, and general game-affecting inclusions/namedrops/dev chats/etc. I really hope they've done due diligence this time around on the various successful Kickstarter RPG projects and can make it happen.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I think the day one and day two extras don't really matter, except as someone said, the initial momentum is very important - so, why not?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
He's got screenshots and that makes all the difference. Even here people suddenly decided it is a good game when they first saw the screenshots.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Here's hoping it fails, fucking tired of those hacks getting millions for lame, derivative games that have nothing going for them except famous name dropping.

He put in at least more effort than the eternal pillars of shit.

I like the progress he's showing with the game, so i might back this.
Hopefully they will post frequent updates.

whitepony

Educated
Did become popular nowadays you mean? This only judged by Gromrock's success, or there are any other examples? Here is hoping it succeeds and becomes something interesting for the sake of having different games to choose from

Did become popular nowadays you mean? This only judged by Gromrock's success, or there are any other examples? Here is hoping it succeeds and becomes something interesting for the sake of having different games to choose from

Yes. Other example includes Ubisoft publishing M&M X, I doubt they would do it if they didn't think it could make them money.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Yes. Other example includes Ubisoft publishing M&M X, I doubt they would do it if they didn't think it could make them money.

What do MMX and Grimrock have in common? They're both independently funded.

Just because good-looking blobbers have proven they can sell once they're complete, doesn't mean there's necessarily a huge crowd willing to Kickstart them.

Just because good-looking blobbers have proven they can sell once they're complete, doesn't mean there's necessarily a huge crowd willing to Kickstart them.

I know, but I guess that's what's Guido is hoping for... :?

Dorateen

Arcane

Thank you. That's what I was trying to say in the first post I made. I think the intelligent thing for Henkel to do would be to quietly work on the game, and wait until Might & Magic Legacy is released early next year. If it is received well, and I suspect it might be, then he could use that to attract more interest and traditional funding for his game. Deathfire has more in common with MMX, so the timing could work to his favour.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Actually I think the timing is better now than after MMX release. If MMX is received well, then Deathfire might fall into the shadow of MMX. If MMX is received not so well, then it's fortunate if Deathfire is funded before the release of MMX.

Alchemist

Arcane
The biggest mistake is launching a Kickstarter around the holiday season, with the 1st-2nd day exclusives being a close second. People will be earmarking their money for holiday purchases and travel, not Kickstarters.

But I'm still hopeful about this project and look forward to seeing what they have to show. Ideally they will have some solid prototype gameplay footage and not just screenshots. If they keep the financial goal within reason I think they could succeed. The blobber market is much smaller than the Wasteland 2 / Eternity / Torment crowd.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
in before "Kickstarter fatigue"... the man's terrible at marketing (which Kickstarter is).

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Kickstarter fatigue is a myth.
That's the point. People say it's kickstarter fatigue when they fail to give people a good enough reason to donate. Hence why Cappen's saying Guido is going to claim kickstarter fatigue is the problem.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Is Guido just interested in the money, or is he also interested in the concept of backers-as-publishers? Will he be posting regular updates? Will he reveal more of the team developing the game?

He seemed very critical and butthurt about Kickstarter after his failure with Thorvalla. Will this consumerist approach (day 1 bonuses and shit) work?
I'm kind of excited. It will either be okay (and I might even back it myself) or it will be a spectacular failure...

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Good question. I also consider Guido more like the guy creating game contents than doing publicity and frequent updates. That said, I don't like how Kickstarter has become a stretchgoal-hyping, gift-shopping reward-whore.

20$ - you get a special level 1 ingame item
25$ - you get a crappy tshirt
30$ - you get a crappy shoe
35$ - you get a crappy plastic statue
40$ - you get the sketchbooks we don't need anymore
50$ - whatever is still lying around in the office...

Fuck it! This is only a farce. Kickstarter should be simple. Simple for developers and pledgers. Just make a few types only and it's done.

- Pledge to support
- Pledge to support with download
- Pledge to support with download and boxed version

Of course the amount of the pledge is still open upwards. But all these 50 types of pseudo rewards seen in lots of kickstarters are just stupid. What do people want? That the developers invest time in producing a game or that they waste time in organizing and delegating production of cheesy junk goods?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
People like to feel like their getting more when they contribute more. It's basic psychology.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom