Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best missions/levels of all time ?

Silva

Arcane
Hey bros, what are the best game missions/levels ever for you ? I will induct the most memorable mission from one of the most rmemorable games for me:

- Rainbow Six mission 1, Operation Steel Wind.

I must have played this mission a hundred times! I remember the first time my brother showed me the Rainbow Six demo which have only that mission, and we replayed it all night long, each time with different configuration and tactics, and we never got tired. That game and this mission simply blowed our minds away, for the first time combining a super realistic and atmospheric experience that could be replayed from multiple angles and situations. A truly emergent sandbox masterpiece, this mission encapsulates everything I love about PC games!

What about you ?

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Chaos Theory's bank heist mission was the first thing that came to mind.

I also liked Shadowrun Returns' corporate highrise run a lot, the one towards the end of the game (but before the rather poor final sequence).

I'd list a Thief or Deus Ex mission here but they're kind of all awesome, in their different ways.

sser

Arcane
Developer
One of my all-time favorite levels is the Gardens of Kadesh in Homeworld.

Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines - End of the Butcher / Commandos: Beyond the Call of Duty - Guess Who's Coming Tonight
U just cannot cause alarm or u'll face mission failed message (unless u abuse spy-in-vehicle trick in the EothB but it's like cheating).

Myth: The Fallen Lords - Shadow of the Mountain
U're under siege, surrounded by overwhelming forces of undead & traitors army (including evil molotov dwarves, yeah!), very demanding and satysfying mission.

AvP'99 - first marine mission had perfect tension building (just like the beginning of Unreal 1 when first Skaarj appeared).

MDK - first level, maybe it's just the first game for me to play that had such HUGE open 3D area with a lot of shit going on the screen but it just blew my mind back in the day, it was giving the player an incredible sense of freedom.

Hexen 2 Egypt levels offered true archeologist experience.

Fantastic Adventure of Dizzy - mine area, creepy stuff.

Mortal Kombat: Blood Storm: - Shaolin Temple arena
Just looked at it, its mystical atmosphere is outstanding:

Lancehead

Liturgist
I don't remember the names but most of the missions in Hitman: Blood Money.

:Flash:

Arcane
"The Deeper Unknown" in Psychotoxic. Although it would possibly fit better into the "one exceptional level" thread, because the game isn't very good, and the level isn't even good from a gameplay perspective.
It was just very stylish and atmospheric in a surreal way that was new when the game was released. Quicksilver pools in a freefloating metal construction, enemies floating upwards when killed and the level falling apart and floating upwards as well.
I almost bought the game because it was the demo level. Turns out it is very bland corridor shooter that has three dream levels that differ radically from the rest of the game, which consists of warehouses and ventilation shafts.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012

So many levels from the various Hitman games come to mind, but Rendezvous in Rotterdam is probably the best imo. The hotel just felt so large, like you could go into any of the rooms (and I think you could go into most of them), with a lot of secrets to find (like the shotgun in the flower shop) and multiple ways to assassinate a duo of targets. Plus all the surreal shit like the ghost in the cordoned off section of the hotel. They repeated the layout somewhat in Blood Money, with the House of Cards mission - which is also one of my favorite missions. I've probably replayed the levels in Blood Money more, but atmospherically I feel like the Contracts ones are better, and just more memorable for me.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Fairfax Residence in SWAT 4 was a pretty good mission. Tactics combined with horror-like atmosphere. Was pretty nasty on the first playthrough.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Too many to count, but let's try:

- The Bridge in System Shock.
- The Living End in Doom 2.
- Gloom Keep and Ziggurat Vertigo in Quake are my favs, but the whole of episode 3 is amazing too.
- The Edge of Oblivion in Scourge of Armagon (the first void map which spawned The Longest Yard for example).
- Hollywood Holocaust in Duke3D is a classic, but the first map of episode 3 (forgot its name) is my favorite.
- The Glow in Fallout.
- Song of the Caverns in Thief Gold, though that game is near perfect and I love all the missions.
- Life of the Party in Thief 2.
- Xen and Surface Tension in Half-Life.
- Bluff Eversmoking in Unreal.
- Recreational Deck in System Shock 2. So many things to do and explore.
- Creep in Dungeon Keeper 2.
- The Crypt in Arx Fatalis.
- The Cradle/The Museum in Thief DS.
- X18, X16, Pripyat and the CNPP Sarcophagus in STALKER (too bad these two are very linear, but the atmosphere slays).
- I loved Overseer Campbell in Dishonored, but I think the last mission of the Brigmore Witches is my favorite.

laclongquan

Arcane
Mhmm~ silent storm game. The swiss factory mission.

it has two parts of immense size.

Part 2 is underground mission. complex, huge, but not the best of the whole game.

Part 1 is the ground level of the factory. Huge, with potential to kill your whole team if you are careless.

The whole map is defeat a compound full of troops. You can try sniping all the sentries, or direct assault kill them all, or stealth.

once you are in, if you careless you can bring the whole roof on your head, which is teh accidental gameover come to.

And at certain point the armored sentries coming out, which is where the second half of the fun: anti-armored task. You can try stealth to sneak close for a full magazine of machinegun fire to the back and hope for the best (ie criticals), or drop a few antitanks grenade looted here (very few) and risk the whole roof going down, etc...

MetalCraze

Arcane
Operation Flashpoint's "Escape". You are going to be executed and there are multiple ways to escape (all risky). And after that you are left with no map or compass and have to navigate using stars to the friendly territory. You are being hunted by enemies through all the mission's duration. Then there are "After Montignac" which is a similar, but simpler concept and stealth missions where you play as Gastowski are also pretty memorable.

Thief series have Bonehoard, Return to Cathedral, Song of Caverns... Actually fuck it - too many across all 3. The scariest are the best.

Fallout's Glow. Fallout was already bleak but Glow had just a daunting atmosphere.

Hitman series. The hotel in the first game because NPCs have lifelike schedules, you have access to like all of it and can do the mission at your own pace - even a slow one. A House of Cards in Blood Money because it's almost the same concept and gives you the most freedom of approach out of all missions in the game.

Kamoho

Savant
800px-Fo1_WestTek_Surface.png

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The whole dungeon in Chaos Strikes Back is the artwork of diabolical demon director.
Most missions in Thief: The Dark Project, especially The Sword.
The Bank and Life of the Party in Thief 2.
Bluff Eversmoking in Unreal.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Just form the top of my head:

Death Star run, this really blew my mind when I was a kid.

This mission is very easy, but I like the "epicness" of it.

Whole "morph planet" has a cool, alien armosphere, I remember that run to the spaceship at the was intense.

Just some awesome arcade action, I could put the whole game here.

The alien city was very "athmospheric", also finally killing that fucker felt good.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The bombed factory in the secret weapons facility chapter of Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom