Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What games should I have?

ColCol

Arcane
I'm looking into starting a tabletop game program at my library. What games should I have? I'm looking for a nice mix of pnp, board, and card games. Will not list budget. Your recommendations would be appreciated.

Telengard

Arcane
1) What's your main goal? Diversity? History? Fun?
2) Are you talking strategy tabletop games, or/and family/friend games?
3) Do you have a cap on the amount of necessary parts?

ColCol

Arcane
1) I would say diversity(to appeal to a wide audience) and fun
2) Both would be fine.
3)No Cap

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
In case you have to "convert" people to the world of board games, Ticket to Ride is one of those games that is simple enough to be a nice introduction and yet deep enough to allow people to form various strategies. I found that after that it is easy to get people to move to other stuff.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Cosmic Encounter - short enough to play multiple games per session, simple mechanics but a wide variety of game styles and outcomes depending on the races chosen, random enough to be unpredictable but rewards rule mastery, ... :greatjob:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
some obvious ones:
Cluedo (limitless amounts of fun) and Monopoly and maybe Settlers of Catan.

And I played Dominion recently, incredible fun game, highly customizable and with a wide range of valid approaches/tactics.

Alchemist

Arcane
On the PnP side - a variant of D&D is a must. But not 4th edition - instead I'd suggest maybe the Pathfinder Beginner Box and at least one representative of old school D&D. Probably a major OSR release would be best for that - Swords & Wizardry or Labyrinth Lord. The official 1st edition AD&D reprints (or second-hand originals) might be nice to have too, but that is a lot to absorb for beginners. OSRIC is the retro-clone of AD&D 1st Edition and better organized.

Call of Cthulhu to represent horror and skill-based systems.

For diversity you might add some Fate-based RPGs but I'm not well-versed in that area so not sure what to suggest.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
PnP - this is one of the few instances where I would actually recommend D&D 4th edition, because it's incredibly easy to get into, especially if you have one experienced player to explain the basics and help with character creation. Other than that, I can't think of too much else that's both mainstream and appropriate for all ages. Maybe get some GURPs books? The problem with PnP is that all but the most popular systems are fairly niche and whether they'll work largely depends on your group makeup.

For board games, you can't go wrong with the classics - monopoly, risk, chess, etc. Axis and Allies is pretty fun too, although I've never finished a game because nobody ever has 12 hours to devote to a single board game. You might also want to get Settlers of Catan and maybe some expansions because that's fairly popular, and maybe Dominion.

For card games, get Bang. It's fun as hell and really easy to pick up.

For diversity you might add some Fate-based RPGs but I'm not well-versed in that area so not sure what to suggest.
Definitely include Spirit of the Century if you're going to get Fate-based games.

Alchemist

Arcane
PnP - this is one of the few instances where I would actually recommend D&D 4th edition, because it's incredibly easy to get into, especially if you have one experienced player to explain the basics and help with character creation.
I think 4th Ed is an ok beginner's RPG but it doesn't represent D&D well, in my opinion. It's too far removed from traditional D&D mechanics, WotC has abandoned it and they're retooling everything for D&D Next / 5th edition anyway. I'll admit 4th Ed does serve well as a bridge between board games and RPGs though - since it's basically a miniatures / card / board game at heart. But as an introduction to D&D I think Pathfinder and the OSR stuff are better choices.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
PnP - this is one of the few instances where I would actually recommend D&D 4th edition, because it's incredibly easy to get into, especially if you have one experienced player to explain the basics and help with character creation.
I think 4th Ed is an ok beginner's RPG but it doesn't represent D&D well, in my opinion. It's too far removed from traditional D&D mechanics, WotC has abandoned it and they're retooling everything for D&D Next / 5th edition anyway. I'll admit 4th Ed does serve well as a bridge between board games and RPGs though - since it's basically a miniatures / card / board game at heart. But as an introduction to D&D I think Pathfinder and the OSR stuff are better choices.
That's pretty much why I recommended it over a 3rd edition variant. I don't see anything wrong with including the Pathfinder core books as well, however.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Eclipse, Nations, Dungeons & Dragons Adventure System Board Games (Wrath of Ashardalon, Castle Ravenloft, The Legend of Drizzt), Catan. Arkham Horror used to be one of my favorites, too, but maybe there's too much RNG that will screw you over and you are severely at the mercy of lucky dice rolls. Makes sense given the theme of the game, but it doesn't always necessarily translate into a fun experience.
Games to avoid: Talisman, Monopoly

Telengard

Arcane
PnP: Pathfinder, Conflict PvP (for Pathfinder), DnD 2nd Edition, Pendragon, Star Trek (preferably one of the two older ones), you might also add in Marvel Superheroes due to the movies

Board Games: BattleTech, Circus Maximus, Shogun, Wizard Quest, Star Trek: Starship Tactical Combat Simulator, Risk, Castle Risk, Settlers of Cataan, Ticket to Ride, Stratego, Scrabble, Clue

For the sake of diversity: Flattop, RECON, Crimson Skies, Skyrealms of Jorune, Millennium's End, Civilization the board game, Squad Leader, Car Wars, 221 B Baker Street

For the sake of popularity: Halo Wars, Star Wars RPG

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Must-have board games for a library, IMO:
- Ticket To Ride
- Settlers of Catan
- Carcassonne
- Pandemic
- King of Tokyo
- Dominion
- Small World

Second choice (if budget allows):
- Kemet
- Ghost Stories
- Memoir 44
- Seasons
- Robinson Crusoe
- Race For The Galaxy

All of these games are easy to get into and entertaining, suitable for everyone (not just gamers), but gamer-friendly. This set has also a lot of variety, both theme and mechanics-wise. I can provide details about each, if necessary.

latexmonkeys

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How's Betrayal at House on the Hill? Thinking about getting it since I saw it on Wil Wheaton's Tabletop show, but it's pretty expensive.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
The Downfall of Pompeii by Mayfair games could be a good addition to those already mentioned. It's easy to learn and play and there are random elements but room for strategy. Plus, you get to drop people into the volcano when you cover them with lava. Even people who aren't into board games have really enjoyed this one.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Chaos in the Old World is also a good option to consider if you got 4 or 5 people to play with—3 players games are possible but not ideal. It'll probably take a turn for everyone to get into it because there is a good number of elements to get but it's all very simple in the end. The complexity comes from learning the powers of each player and build a strategy around them. Playing as Khorne, Nurgle, Tzeentch, Slaanesh or The Horned Rat never gets old.

Steve

Augur
Chaos in the Old World is also a good option to consider if you got 4 or 5 people to play with—3 players games are possible but not ideal. It'll probably take a turn for everyone to get into it because there is a good number of elements to get but it's all very simple in the end. The complexity comes from learning the powers of each player and build a strategy around them. Playing as Khorne, Nurgle, Tzeentch, Slaanesh or The Horned Rat never gets old.

I second this, Chaos in the old world is one of my favorites. Gets a huge plus from a fast setup. The aesthetics might be a problem for people who mind the grimdark Warhammer chaos stuff.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
If you want some of the older classic PnP games not already suggested, I would also suggest GURPS, Call of Cthulhu, Paranoia, BECMI D&D, FASA's Mechwarrior (need Battletech too), Traveller, Gamma World and Shadowrun.

I very much agree with those that had already mentioned AD&D 1st edition, free old school D&D variants like Dark Dungeons and OSRIC, FASA's Star Trek RPG, and the very fun Marvel Superheroes.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
I second this, Chaos in the old world is one of my favorites. Gets a huge plus from a fast setup. The aesthetics might be a problem for people who mind the grimdark Warhammer chaos stuff.

There are people who mind the grim dark Warhammer Chaos stuff?

Also if you go for CitOW, the base game supports from 3 to 4 players, and the expansion adds the Horned Rat as new option.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom