Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
"NPC reactions" means that they eat dinner and go to bed at night, wake up and eat breakfast in the morning, etc.

Well, yes, I understand that. I just don't care if some npc sits outside his house at night rather than go to bed... It's not an essential feature for me, especially if you still have changes in atmosphere when night comes.
Furthermore, NPCs still have some schedule, if I understood this correctly : they go on patrol, etc. So it ultimately looks like a very minor cut to me, considering the overall scope of the game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"NPC reactions" means that they eat dinner and go to bed at night, wake up and eat breakfast in the morning, etc.

Well, yes, I understand that. I just don't care if some npc sits outside his house at night rather than go to bed... It's not an essential feature for me, especially if you still have changes in atmosphere when night comes.
Furthermore, NPCs still have some schedule, if I understood this correctly : they go on patrol, etc. So it ultimately looks like a very minor cut to me, considering the overall scope of the game.

There is no day and night though. They took them out because they don't want to do what you're saying.

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

There is no day and night though. They took them out because they don't want to do what you're saying.

Yep, you're right, and it was very commendable of them. There's still changes in atmosphere depending on the area where you're travelling, this very much looks like night to me :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RuQ0AI3BJs&feature=player_detailpage#t=161

As long as the whole game is not nice little town in bright sunlight, good enough for me. I'd rather have nice dynamic tactical turn-based combat and branching quests than "Oh look, this guy went to bed because it's dark". (It would have been great if day/night coud have had an impact on storytelling and quests solving too, of course...)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
If I understood right, they were plaing something extremely complex... not only night and day, but also weather like rain and snow.

So now NPC A has a standard behavior, and another behavior if you kill is wife. But they were planning it would do different stuff if you had killed his wife on a rainy afternoon or in a sunny morning... quite ambitious, obvious TOO ambitious. Stuff like that would work better on groups of faceless mobs, like Everquest Next is tryng to.

Perkel

Arcane
Shame they dropped that feature. Breaking into someone house at night when owner sleeps could be nice gameplay addon.

Maybe they will add this in later post release patches...

Chunkyman

Augur
Darn, I was really looking forward to day/night schedules. It could have added a lot to the game such as:
  • Try and break into places while people are asleep.
  • Use the night to sneak around a big group of enemies blocking your path.
  • Using the darkness to make enemy archers less effective as their range would presumably be significantly less.
  • Ghosts coming out at night, allowing you to solve things like murder quests and other mysteries by talking to them.
  • Various enemies that only appear at night, or regular enemies that are augmented by it.
  • Watching other NPCs go about criminal activity during the night.
Oh well, at least people will apparently be able to mod a lot of this sort of stuff back in.

xilo3z

Educated
Wasn't that a stretch goal? If so, how ethical is it to cut a feature like that?

It was a stretch goal, but it wasn't hit IIRC. I remember watching the live countdown party thing. They didn't hit it but Swen REALLY wanted it in so he said something like "We are close enough to the goal that I'll pull some strings and get a connection to make up the difference." So technically speaking, officially on the kickstarter page they didn't actually hit it. Maybe with the addition of paypal, but technicallllly the Kickstarter didn't hit it.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
They were just shy of it even with paypal, IIRC. (but close enough that Swen declared it achieved anyway)

But, no big loss as far as I'm concerned. Just as long as our shitty reward items are in :smug:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Wasn't that a stretch goal? If so, how ethical is it to cut a feature like that?
Very ethical. Cutting things on a rational basis is better than squeezing buggy shit in and taking time away from more important parts of the game.

K. I. S. S. - the fundamental of good design

Edit: And also I would love to spare the end-game crunch time of employees. I find that shit very unethical.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane

Frankly even if they did cut actual stretch goal (which isn't true since they didn't reach that stretch goal) making sure your game is polished instead of broken is huge imo and cost of that feature is small price for that.

Also it is not like this feature is completely cut. It is cut currently for release version but may be as well introduced post release and i am sure as hell if they will do expansion to D:OS feature like that will be 100% bet.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Swen himself said he considers this to be cutting a stretch goal. That particular rules lawyering isn't helpful here.

Edifice

Educated
They reached the stretch goal if you add the PayPal pledges on top of what they got from their Kickstarter.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Stretch goals were made to trick morons who care about superficial shit into investing more for a good core game for me to play.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
No idea if they have done any work on it yet. But maybe they can leave it in the editor and then allow people to mod it in later?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Good to see my predictions coming true.

That one German publisher is going to have to backpedal on that April 25 release date. More like May 23, if not June. They're still going to win the Kickstarter race with inXile (I know it's not a race).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
That one German publisher is going to have to backpedal on that April 25 release date. More like May 23, if not June. They're still going to win the Kickstarter race with inXile (I know it's not a race).

It's an anti-race. I could see one of them delaying their release artificially so as not to come out at the same time as the other.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They reached the stretch goal if you add the PayPal pledges on top of what they got from their Kickstarter.
Just watched the live stream of the Kickstarter finale again, they didn't reach 1 million oven with paypal. It was around 995.000 dollars.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's an anti-race. I could see one of them delaying their release artificially so as not to come out at the same time as the other.
It doesn't look like Larian is in a position to do that, and I doubt inXile would need to since they'll be hitting beta in late May.

Besides, Tim Cain once successfully convinced higher-ups at Interplay not to cancel Fallout after assuring them enough that a post-apocalyptic rpg wouldn't necessarily cannibalize sales from their upcoming D&D rpgs. :)

Visperas

Augur
Wow, that last guy in the video fainted just when the camera stopped pointing at him. The game is gonna rock.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom