Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview This you've gotta see - IGN FO3 preview

bossjimbob

Liturgist
OccupatedVoid said:
Spread this image throughout the Internets for it is the truth:
tesfallout.png

So what. It still looks to be a fun game.

aries202

Erudite
LittleJoe said:
"It looks like it could be released next week"

But they need a year for the hype machine to kick in!

No, it probably was a special build of the Fallout game - made especially for the press to see...

robur

Scholar
Matt7895 said:
That is bullshit. The Morrowind quest instructions were just right. They gave you instructions on where to go without a fucking compass on screen making sure you went the right way, or some ludicrous fast travel option letting you skip right there. There was no challenge in Oblivion, no challenge at all.
See, World of WarCraft sold how many million copies? And they have their quest givers marked on the minimap. Guess that's all I need to say. Mass market, baby - embrace it or let your competitor sell loads of games while you struggle to survive.

bossjimbob

Liturgist
robur said:
See, World of WarCraft sold how many million copies? And they have their quest givers marked on the minimap. Guess that's all I need to say. Mass market, baby - embrace it or let your competitor sell loads of games while you struggle to survive.

So true.

Kraken

Scholar
MMORPG don't exactly play the same way single-player does. At least from my experience, in MMOGs, most questing is just done to be as uber as possible for PVP or raids. The journey is not important, the end-game is. When playing a single-player game, the end is really the end, and how you got there is what the game is all about. I haven't played WoW though, so I can't comment on how intrusive the map/compass is there.

robur

Scholar
Starwars said:
Just in case someone missed, here's a wonderful quote from the Destructoid people:

It should come as no surprise that the the team at Bethesda are fans of the original series. Back in 1987, while working on their own RPG, Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall, they fell in love with Fallout.
1987? Bethesda wasn't even working on TES: Arena at that time.
1997 then? Sorry, TES: Daggerfall was released in 1996.

http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/elder-scrolls-series

robur

Scholar
Grifman said:
Uh, unless you're being good impacts upon his selfish evil opportunities? Actually, it makes perfect sense. If you're not going to go around seeking evil opportunities why's an evil guy going to hang out with you? They're not going to be interested in helping little old ladies across the street, doing stuff for little to no reward. Makes perfect sense for the same reason you don't see gang bangers joining the Boy Scouts. This anti-Fallout 3 fever must be impacting people's brains . . .
True that. Why should an evil mastermind join a band of merry do-gooders?

robur

Scholar
Spacemoose said:
moreover, they're not making it for YOU or me. so why are we bitching about it
Exactly the point. Where I live, the sun's out today and the sky is blue. Much more appealing than F3 griefing.

robur

Scholar
Grifman said:
Section8 said:
Oh, and it's good to know the Pipboy 3000 fits the arm of a ten year old kid just as well as it fits an adult. Scales to your level!

You know, watches have these things you can buy where you replace one wristband with a larger size. I bet high tech vaults might even have them - whacha think?
I have this thing called a belt. If my belly grows, I can adjust it - and it STILL HOLDS MY PANTS! AMAZING! POST-NUCLEAR TECHNOLOGY!

bossjimbob

Liturgist
robur said:
Exactly the point. Where I live, the sun's out today and the sky is blue. Much more appealing than F3 griefing.

Indeed. The wife and I did some gardening today while our daughter played in the grass. Life is pretty good.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
Kraken said:
MMORPG don't exactly play the same way single-player does. At least from my experience, in MMOGs, most questing is just done to be as uber as possible for PVP or raids. The journey is not important, the end-game is. When playing a single-player game, the end is really the end, and how you got there is what the game is all about. I haven't played WoW though, so I can't comment on how intrusive the map/compass is there.
How odd. It's as if your post made a WoW gold farm ad to apear at the bottom of the page.

psycojester

Arbiter

And where i live it is winter DAMN YOU TODD HOWARD! less griefing in summer.

Section8

Cipher
You know, watches have these things you can buy where you replace one wristband with a larger size. I bet high tech vaults might even have them - whacha think?

ss_preview_Pip_boy.jpg.jpg

Maybe it has an inflatable inner sleeve or something. Still, I can't wait to see that monstrosity on a ten-year old. I hope it makes you walk like Pyramid Head.

It might help to read more than one preview before definitively commenting:

Per Gamespy:

So, naturally, the main quest objective of your nineteenth birthday is to leave the Vault; how you do so is up to you. While Pagliarulo simply had a keycard that opened the Vault, Howard commented that you could hack the door open, or pilfer the keycard (like Pagliarulo did) or even find a different way to get out.

That doesn't make the Overseer's lack of overseeing any less retarded. And beside that, the premise that a single person can compromise the integrity of a vault is pretty dumb. It's like giving a person sole responsibility over nuke launches.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Section8 said:
That doesn't make the Overseer's lack of overseeing any less retarded. And beside that, the premise that a single person can compromise the integrity of a vault is pretty dumb. It's like giving a person sole responsibility over nuke launches.
Funnily enough, with the Nuclear Catapult, Bethesda have done that too.

Lumpy

Arcane
robur said:
Grifman said:
Uh, unless you're being good impacts upon his selfish evil opportunities? Actually, it makes perfect sense. If you're not going to go around seeking evil opportunities why's an evil guy going to hang out with you? They're not going to be interested in helping little old ladies across the street, doing stuff for little to no reward. Makes perfect sense for the same reason you don't see gang bangers joining the Boy Scouts. This anti-Fallout 3 fever must be impacting people's brains . . .
True that. Why should an evil mastermind join a band of merry do-gooders?
No, tards, if an evil character joins a party like the one in Fallout or Baldur's Gate, where everyone does what the leader says, he has a reason to do it, a selfish motivation. Which should have nothing to do with what kind of quests the player does.
Besides, people join you in Baldur's Gate or Fallout 2 for retarded reasons - "Hey, you're an adventurer, might as well come with you, and risk my life for you to complete your objectives." And if he's evil: "But those objectives had better be selfish ones which will bring benefit only to you and make everyone else suffer, or I'm not playing anymore."

robur

Scholar
Lumpy said:
No, tards, if an evil character joins a party like the one in Fallout or Baldur's Gate, where everyone does what the leader says, he has a reason to do it, a selfish motivation. Which should have nothing to do with what kind of quests the player does.
Besides, people join you in Baldur's Gate or Fallout 2 for retarded reasons - "Hey, you're an adventurer, might as well come with you, and risk my life for you to complete your objectives." And if he's evil: "But those objectives had better be selfish ones which will bring benefit only to you and make everyone else suffer, or I'm not playing anymore."
Would a 100 percent evil person join the fellowship of the ring? According to you, yeah, cause the person might kill/screw over everybody to get the ring.

Now, while that might be great role playing, I'd be not too friendly towards the developer if a random NPC would kill all my party members in their sleep after 200 hours of game time and empty their inventories.

John Yossarian

Magister
:GASP: Harsh consequences for continuously ignoring there's an evil guy who couldn't care less about killing you all in your sleep and emptying your inventory? Wha'ts the world come too?

robur

Scholar
John Yossarian said:
:GASP: Harsh consequences for continuously ignoring there's an evil guy who couldn't care less about killing you all in your sleep and emptying your inventory? Wha'ts the world come too?
Well, Einstein, how do you *know* that he is an evil guy? Think he would tell you?

<sigh>

Lumpy

Arcane
robur said:
Would a 100 percent evil person join the fellowship of the ring? According to you, yeah, cause the person might kill/screw over everybody to get the ring.
Uhh... exactly. Are you trying to prove the contrary?

robur said:
Now, while that might be great role playing, I'd be not too friendly towards the developer if a random NPC would kill all my party members in their sleep after 200 hours of game time and empty their inventories.
Let me give an example. Say there was a character in Torment who wanted my dead body, but couldn't get it because I stubbornly kept coming back from the dead. He could offer to join me and help me regain my mortality, in exchange for getting my carcass after I died.
Now, would it make sense for him to leave the party if I helped people along the way? Of course not.
OTOH, if you have characters that join you because "HEY I'm evil u'r evil let's be friends ok?", you're a bad designer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom