Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What systems do you hate in rpgs that other people love

What systems do you hate in rpgs that other people love

• Day/night cycles with npc schedules

• Non player created antagonist (such as Geralt from the Witcher)

• Detailed and options heavy character generation and a “blank slate” protagonist

• Restrictive saves (no saving in combat or inclusion of save points)

• RPG-lite and extremely basic systems

• Extremely complex and deep rpg systems that make gimping characters possible, combat difficult, etc

• Full party creation

• Recruitable party members in lieu of full party creation

• Full 3d games with rotating cameras

• Extremely story heavy narrative with lots of cut scenes

• Stroy lite or story optional game in which you create the story

• No difficulty options/settings

• Highly interactive environment (pick up glasses, forks, sticks)

• Choice heavy and deep character progression

• Classes

• No Classes

• Procedurally generated content

• Respawns

• Excessive level scaling

Results are only viewable after voting.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I’m interested in finding out what people hate that other people love passionately when not included in a game. See poll, pick three. Let’s see how many of you are barba tenus sapientes. Just kidding, no one will judge you.

Remember its the three you hate the most.

To clarify - A for instance...some people absolutely love day/night cycles with npc schedules where a shop closes at x, and the shopkeeper is sleeping and you can't buy anything until the shop opens at y hour.

People that love this feature really love it. I don't care and it does nothing for me unless the game has time based quests, or worse, you can fail the game by taking too much time like fo1 and 2. It isn't bad in games like QfG where finding shit that is time based is supposed to be part of the fun.

I used the word protagonist and antagonist in their places on purpose. The main opponent of me being able to do what I want, how I want, and as who I want in an rpg is a pre-defined character that I am stuck with instead creating my own character. Therefor Geralt, and characters like him, are not the protagonist, but are antagonists by definition. Is this biased? No, as I am basing this off of what the creator of rpgs stated the goal of rpgs wasn't.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Voted 2:

Extremely story heavy narrative with lots of cut scenes

I'm fine with story heavy games but you don't need to tell it exclusively through cutscenes.

No difficulty options/settings

This one's obvious. Unless that default difficulty level is "hardcore" I dislike the fact that if I desire a replay I cannot get a greater challenge and have to self-impose rules only with what I've got rather than being able to modify values and such via code, which is what the designer should do using difficulty options.

Didn't have a problem with any of the other conventions, so only two votes. I would have placed three votes had there been an option for procedurally generated content such as loot and level design, so I suggest adding that to the poll.

I should probably vote for
RPG-lite and extremely basic systems too, as in a game that masquerades as an RPG I hate it, but if it's a platformer or something with some minor RPG systems I don't mind it if executed well. Thread title says "what do you hate in an RPG" so I was wrong to not vote it.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Wait, you're asking us to pick features that other people love when they're NOT included ... that we hate? Can you clarify what you mean in proper English?

I just voted for 3 things I don't like, for now.

Non player created antagonist (such as Geralt from the Witcher)
1.That's protagonist
2.Nobody loves that
3. I can't think of any RPG that actually has that.

Even the nameless one is pretty much a blank slate who can be vastly different intellectually/physically, really can't think of any RPG where you have a truly premade character a la batman.

laclongquan

Arcane
???

Non player created protagonist is a staple of RPG. Geralt is just a Nameless One with bigger dick, and Morte being a redhair girl, while Dakkon is black haired vixen.

EDIT: back to topic, fucking ironman option mang~

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I like pretty much all of the elements when done right, so this isn't so much hate as it is minor gripes.

1. Restrictive saves (no saving in combat or inclusion of save points)
If I can't simply save and exit during combat that's just inconvenient. It could simply be like Mount & Blade if they want to disallow savescumming, but don't make me sit through the same stuff again.

2. Extremely complex and deep rpg systems that make gimping characters possible, combat difficult, etc
I only marked this because I thought of systems like Darklands or Realms of Arkania which had systems that were vaguely explained (feel free to correct me, I only read both manuals a year ago and had troubles in both games) in both the manual and in-game that only prior knowledge or a third party could tell you what exactly does what and why. I really do love it when it bothers to explain itself, but complex shouldn't always mean vague.

3. RPG-lite and extremely basic systems
I'm just full of contradictions. I just don't like it when you see the stat screen of an RPG and think: "That's it?!". It's underwhelming, and usually sets a standard for the rest of the game. Sometimes I'm proven wrong, and I find a simpler game to be entertaining (see: Shadowrun) but for the most part it's just a blob of meh. The first time I had that feeling was playing Dragon Age.

Septaryeth

Augur
Wait, you're asking us to pick features that other people love when they're NOT included ... that we hate? Can you clarify what you mean in proper English?

Yeah the whole wording is very confusing especially if you include the opposing features in the poll.

For example, both "Full party creation" and "Recruitable party members in lieu of full party creation" are there.
So if I should vote for "Full party creation", that means I hate this feature but OTHERS love it.
Whereas if I vote for "Recruitable party members in lieu of full party creation", that means the exactly opposite thing.

SO who are these OTHERS in the question? Why is their preference changeable within the same poll?

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
in this order
1. dislike save points(im fine with no saving in combat)
2, dislike full party creation
3. dislike classes but i dont mind them all that much where i cant enjoy a game with them, no biggie

most of the time i dislike cutscenes too since half the time they're cringe worthy ala mass effect

Non player created proantagonist (such as Geralt from the Witcher)- nother one that doesn't really break the game for me but i'd prefer to make my own dude or play a fully blank slate, non voice acted character ex: the vault dwller, i've played plenty of good games that fit this bill though ala pst/deus ex ect so i guess i dont rly care about it that much

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
1. Non player created protagonist, because how am I supposed to feel any connection to a ridiculously handsome manly horndog like Geralt? Games where you can customise a character (like Mass Effect, for want of a better example) are acceptable.
2. Save limits. No problems with not being able to save in combat, but what if I really need to answer the front door but can't because of arbitrary restrictions? Trick question - I would never answer the front door.
3. No Classes. Because I enjoy rigid and inflexible rules and enjoy being part of a clique that gets to look down on others.

Also, RPG-lite is bad, but virtually every RPG is RPG-lite these days so I've evolved to cope.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Voted 2:

Didn't have a problem with any of the other conventions, so only two votes. I would have placed three votes had there been an option for procedurally generated content such as loot and level design, so I suggest adding that to the poll.

Good call, sorry I missed an obvious one

Sorry for the confusion. I clarified in the OP

Non player created antagonist (such as Geralt from the Witcher)
1.That's protagonist
2.Nobody loves that
3. I can't think of any RPG that actually has that.

Even the nameless one is pretty much a blank slate who can be vastly different intellectually/physically, really can't think of any RPG where you have a truly premade character a la batman.

1) I listed it as protagonist on purpose for the blank slate character and antagonist for the premade character. In an rpg I am the main character, or my character is. If I am playing a character of someone else's invention with his own personality, looks, background, everything, just like a character in a book or movie, then that character is the main opponent of me creating my own story and therefor cannot be a protagonist like s/he would be in a book or movie since a book or movie isn't an rpg. Is this biased? No, I am going off of what the creator of rpgs stated the goal of an rpg isn't.

And to answer your question - Geralt like the example. He is just like Batman. How can you disagree? He is straight from a book. Just like Harry Potter.

Baron

Arcane
Multi-class characters.
Character Classes are like primary colours; three is enough. The more you mix them, the more they look like brown.

Tolkien races.
If your game has elves or dwarves, you have nothing to offer the world. Drown yourself.

Roqua

Prospernaut
I don't like save points (I don't think it is a huge deal if there are save points like in the original SRR) but I absolutely hate when the game allows you to save in combat. If there is no ironman mode it is basically saying - you will waste a lot of time reloading until you get through this combat unscathed. Or at least that is what my OCD tells me it is saying, and historically is 100% true for me.

Those two should probably be separated but I think its too late for that.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Also, RPG-lite is bad, but virtually every RPG is RPG-lite these days so I've evolved to cope.

I have to disagree. If you said this three years ago I would be right there with you, but with WL2, Underrail, AoD, and a bunch of other games we have real crpgs. I love that I am in a position to complain that the character development in D:OS sucked, when if you compare it to other console games like the Witcher games that have pretty much no meaningful or significant character development at all we are in good shape rpg systems wise.

Even Spiderweb has updated their systems to be a little more complex and deep, and make the combat that much more enjoyable.

Roqua

Prospernaut
But why only 3?

Because there had to be a cut off. I'm not sure if other people are as full of hate and anger as I am, but the more choices I could make the more choices I would make. This way people that love everything can find three things they somewhat dislike and us haters are capped and the results are more significant. I know rpgcodex likes to turn every poll into nonsense with a bunch of crap options, which makes the creation of the poll useless and a waste of time. This way we can find what the majority of people dislike, versus the what I assume to be vocal minority of people who go crazy without it. And yes, I am often in the vocal minority but my reasons are good and lead to better games, whereas everyone who disagrees with me is wrong and likes shit and are directly responsible for shitty games being made. As I am sure others feel the same way about their opinions. So this is the vox nihili venting poll.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
- Fuck 'restrictive saves': I play when I want but also have to be able to stop when I want to leave to work, tend to kids or any other reason. I'd like to do so without losing progress.
- Chose 'No difficulty settings' because it'll probably be too easy then, certainly if doing a second playthrough.
- Have yet to see a game where 'Procedurally generated content' doesn't suck at one point or another.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
When I can't create my own character. Unless the story is really, really good and compensates for it, being unable to make a fully customised hero is a major no-no for me.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I can endure pretty much anything but Save&Exit with checkpoint save system and enemies respawning pretty much kills the game for me, unless other elements are well made.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Voiced main characters suck, whether they have an imprinted personality or not. Geralt voice is shit and he has the personality of a pumpkin.

V_K

Arcane
I hate much more than 3 things on that list. Namely (bolded those I voted for because I hate them with a passion):
  1. Non player created antagonist (such as Geralt from the Witcher) (I guess you meant protagonist?)
  2. RPG-lite and extremely basic systems
  3. Recruitable party members in lieu of full party creation
  4. Full 3d games with rotating cameras
  5. Extremely story heavy narrative with lots of cut scenes
  6. Classes (when they're restrictive like e.g. in ADnD)
  7. Procedurally generated content
And there's also one thing I abhore that's not on the list - loot whoring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom