Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Temple+ Support archive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Where firenode() teleports you to the Fire Node, Hedrack to near Hedrack, etc. There are more commands available for most common NPCs and areas.

Thanks. I should use those... I have a habit of restarting whenever new features are added.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Request for testers:

Can you try to create a corrupted save?

The common culprits are usually quicksave + saving in combat. Throwing around a bunch of spells / aoe spells might help too.

If you have an old ToEE save that got corrupted, that would be good too.

oh, and speaking of console commands - you can use
game.leader.make_class(stat_level_[insert class name here], #) to make yourself a level # character of your desired class. Pretty handy.

Last edited:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
The meta-magic buttons in the UI are buggy, but I've only encountered this in the Cleric Domain spells list. The standard Cleric list and the Wizard list appear to function correctly.

When the scroll bar is at the top (showing the first few spells) http://www.allcutt.me.uk/templeplus/tplus_base.png then clicking on the button next to Aid brings up the meta-magic
dialog: http://www.allcutt.me.uk/templeplus/tplus_aid.png .. so far so good.

But if the spell list view is scrolled at all (see eg. http://www.allcutt.me.uk/templeplus/tplus_scrolled.png), then clicking on any button either doesn't work or shows the dialog for the
wrong spell. eg. in http://www.allcutt.me.uk/templeplus/tplus_mislead?.png I clicked on Mislead but got the dialog as if I'd clicked on Freedom of Movement.

It appears as though the selected spell is always the one that would be in the position you click on if the scroll bar were at the top. So if there's nothing in that position the button does
"nothing" and otherwise you get a different spell. I included the unscrolled "base" example so you can compare the vertical positions in the spell list.

I first noticed this when trying to edit/remove spells with metamagic already applied. Since they weren't on the first page I had to scroll to click on them and this didn't work. Effectively this
means that higher-level domain spells are impossible to add metamagic and often modified spells it's impossible to remove them from the spell list.

Heh, it looks like it's more general than that - it takes the scrollbar position from the first tab. I think you'd have the same problem if multiclassing to two caster classes.

Fixed it now anyway ;)

upload_2016-3-11_17-59-9.png

Last edited:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Another funny discovery: apparently turning on Autosave prevents a lot of crashes. Please playtest without it :P

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Side note: I've just heard Otis comment about the Minotaur statue in the Temple when I walked inside that room. I think it's the first time I ever heard an NPC comment about something, except for when entering a new map and some custom-made Co8 scripting, and there is indeed code in the DLL to generate this generically for every NPC who has an appropriate line. Was I just not paying attention all along or is this really a new thing enabled by Temple+?

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Just started a game I intend to do pseudo-solo... one PC and the rest NPC du jour. Will keep an ear out. I think you're right... can't recall any NPC banter that isn't queued specifically on area change or some other distinct event (death, loot find and such). I know there are occasional miscues where you get nothing, or something inappropriate (e.g. Ronald's "What happened here?" line outside the Church of St Cuthbert). When listening to some of the packed audio, I did come across a number of lines I've never heard before.

Have a couple of bugs to report shortly. No luck with generating a corrupt save though.

Pugmeister

Educated
Patron
Another funny discovery: apparently turning on Autosave prevents a lot of crashes. Please playtest without it :P
I believe saving will clear all object-references that are no longer valid from live objects. That may be the reason for what you are seeing.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
I believe saving will clear all object-references that are no longer valid from live objects. That may be the reason for what you are seeing.
It's pretty hilarious that all these years Co8 has been recommending people to turn off autosave then :lol:

Black

Arcane
It's pretty hilarious that all these years Co8 has been recommending people to turn off autosave then :lol:
Yo, hol up
So if someone's playing T+ and Co8 together, what is he to do about autosaves?

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Yo, hol up
So if someone's playing T+ and Co8 together, what is he to do about autosaves?

Ah, in case it wasn't clear, whatever effects Autosave has on preventing the game from crashing are unrelated to Temple+.

If you're asking whether to use Autosave in general, then...

Cons:
Co8 has been recommending to turn off Autosaving because it supposedly prevents some scripts from firing. I vaguely recall examining that claim in the past, and not having gotten anything conclusive out of it. It may or may not be a voodoo remedy concocted by some n = 2 trial and error back in 2004 and preserved without question. It sounds like bullshit to me anyway, but I haven't looked into it in depth yet - I'll examine the code and see what I can find.

Pros:
May prevent some crashes. (I hope to make this benefit redundant though by eliminating all the causes of crashes; as you can see I'm making some good progress here)
May prevent hairloss if you forget to save :P

Heinous Hat

Scholar
I'm playing with it on (for the first time ever) since you recommended turning it off. Because I do the opposite :M

(Actually, it kept getting switched on during temple+ updates, so I left it for this last round to see if it would help generate a corrupt chain of saves, as suggested by years of troubleshooting threads. Nada, so far.)

Endarire

Scholar
I bought Eyeglasses in the starter shop and equipped them on my Appraise PC. I later bought merchant scales from Rannos Davl in Hommlet then the eyeglasses disappeared. Like, they were removed from the universe.

I can still buy more merchant scales (and have their bonuses stack, which I find interesting).
Fixed in b735

Last edited by a moderator:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
I'm playing with it on (for the first time ever) since you recommended turning it off. Because I do the opposite :M

(Actually, it kept getting switched on during temple+ updates, so I left it for this last round to see if it would help generate a corrupt chain of saves, as suggested by years of troubleshooting threads. Nada, so far.)
Becoming a regular codexer I see :lol:

Digging through some co8 history, it started out with Livonya's mod, where Liv claimed it disrupts the first_heartbeat script, and/or when loading from autosave. From then on it became a panacea...

Heinous Hat

Scholar
I had always assumed that using quicksave and/or autosave was somehow hosing up cached data... thus, the claims that even prior saves were broken. But that's a completely unqualified guess. I've just avoided using either and save frequently. The only time I've seen the game complain specifically about corruption was recently when trying to load a save from an older temple+ build (or maybe a newer save into an older build... can't recall).

Anyway, bug report from pre+703:

1. Crash on trying to equip specific item (buckler) on any character. Save, log and dump uploaded (equip_crash_pre+703.7z). To reproduce, open the inventory for the lead character and equip the buckler. Seems to be just that one buckler, as there are others in the inventories of other characters that equip fine (on any character). I'm pretty sure all shields in inventory are default items obtained at the opening shop map.
Fixed in b711

2. Crash on entering random encounter map RANDOM_05_Scrub_Road . This has been ongoing for a few builds, but not consistent. Can't get a save that guarantees that map and it also sometimes loads just fine. So just the log uploaded, which at least has some relevant output. Couldn't find a related .dmp for this either.
Fixed in b706

3. Alt-click to move items from inventory sometimes fails after a while.
Couldn't reproduce, added logging

4.Likewise for alt-click to identify magic items. Hard to reproduce.
NAB (works in safe areas only, as intended)

gazra

Educated
I tested the following using Windows 8.1, the Co8 Modpack 8.1 NC, and TemplePlus-0.1.0-pre+703

I always get a crash to desktop whenever I attempt to level my level 17 character up to level 18. The crash always occurs while I am increasing skill ranks. I have uploaded a screenshot of the crash, a saved game (named "9") for testing purposes, the crash dump file (named "a02a0ef5-c114-4c6c-a314-10b7272e4fc6.dmp"), and my TemplePlus.log file to the gazra's files folder of Sitra Achara's Google Drive. The unusual thing about the crash is that there are blue artifacts in the lower right rectangle of the screen, which I have never seen before in any of the other CTDs (crashes to desktop) that I have experienced while playtesting Temple+.
Fixed in b728 (was a problem with size 4 text buffer unsuited for high level non-class skills)

I went over the various abilities to find ones that didn't assign an animation ID (which was the bug with Lay on Hands). Remove Disease and Wholeness of Body had this issue, and I also created a fix for them. Can you test those?

I tested Remove Disease and Wholeness of Body and both worked perfectly (my paladin removed the disease Red Ache which another of my PCs had contracted from being bitten by the Giant Tick in the moathouse ruins and then resting long enough for the disease to show up). Using both abilities generated no sound effect while the respective animations were showing. It would be more informative and interesting for the player if all of these class abilities (including Lay On Hands) played a sound effect during the animation of using the class ability.
Thanks

Crash on entering random encounter map RANDOM_05_Scrub_Road . This has been ongoing for a few builds, but not consistent. Can't get a save that guarantees that map and it also sometimes loads just fine. So just the log uploaded, which at least has some relevant output. Couldn't find a related .dmp for this either.

I wonder whether the crash that I experienced when I had a random encounter with Zaxis (the recruitable bard NPC) was due to Zaxis being on the Random 05 Scrub Road map?

Sitra Achara

Arcane
I tested the following using Windows 8.1, the Co8 Modpack 8.1 NC, and TemplePlus-0.1.0-pre+703

I always get a crash to desktop whenever I attempt to level my level 17 character up to level 18. The crash always occurs while I am increasing skill ranks. I have uploaded a screenshot of the crash, a saved game (named "9") for testing purposes, the crash dump file (named "a02a0ef5-c114-4c6c-a314-10b7272e4fc6.dmp"), and my TemplePlus.log file to the gazra's files folder of Sitra Achara's Google Drive. The unusual thing about the crash is that there are blue artifacts in the lower right rectangle of the screen, which I have never seen before in any of the other CTDs (crashes to desktop) that I have experienced while playtesting Temple+.

I went over the various abilities to find ones that didn't assign an animation ID (which was the bug with Lay on Hands). Remove Disease and Wholeness of Body had this issue, and I also created a fix for them. Can you test those?

I tested Remove Disease and Wholeness of Body and both worked perfectly (my paladin removed the disease Red Ache which another of my PCs had contracted from being bitten by the Giant Tick in the moathouse ruins and then resting long enough for the disease to show up). Using both abilities generated no sound effect while the respective animations were showing. It would be more informative and interesting for the player if all of these class abilities (including Lay On Hands) played a sound effect during the animation of using the class ability.

Crash on entering random encounter map RANDOM_05_Scrub_Road . This has been ongoing for a few builds, but not consistent. Can't get a save that guarantees that map and it also sometimes loads just fine. So just the log uploaded, which at least has some relevant output. Couldn't find a related .dmp for this either.

I wonder whether the crash that I experienced when I had a random encounter with Zaxis (the recruitable bard NPC) was due to Zaxis being on the Random 05 Scrub Road map?
Sounds like it. I suspect it's related to starting the encounter at the edge of the map. I'll try to rig the rand9m_enco7nter script to force that sort of behavior.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
I had always assumed that using quicksave and/or autosave was somehow hosing up cached data... thus, the claims that even prior saves were broken. But that's a completely unqualified guess. I've just avoided using either and save frequently. The only time I've seen the game complain specifically about corruption was recently when trying to load a save from an older temple+ build (or maybe a newer save into an older build... can't recall).

Anyway, bug report from pre+703:

1. Crash on trying to equip specific item (buckler) on any character. Save, log and dump uploaded (equip_crash_pre+703.7z). To reproduce, open the inventory for the lead character and equip the buckler. Seems to be just that one buckler, as there are others in the inventories of other characters that equip fine (on any character). I'm pretty sure all shields in inventory are default items obtained at the opening shop map.

2. Crash on entering random encounter map RANDOM_05_Scrub_Road . This has been ongoing for a few builds, but not consistent. Can't get a save that guarantees that map and it also sometimes loads just fine. So just the log uploaded, which at least has some relevant output. Couldn't find a related .dmp for this either.

3. Alt-click to move items from inventory sometimes fails after a while. Likewise for alt-click to identify magic items. Hard to reproduce.
1. Right, looks like it has an enormous radius which causes problems. Good find.
3. Might happen when the merchant you're selling to has 200 items, could that be the case? Probably not rare when unloading to brother smyth or the EP chest.
As for identifying, do you mean shift-click? Never knew alt-click identifies :P

Edit: regarding the buckler
To verify, the buckler was gotten from the 'default items' chest, and not purchased from the Armor chest, right?

Also, do you have an earlier save where equipping the buckler did not cause a crash?

I'm able to add a check for the object radius so the rendering function doesn't crash, but it's a peculiar case of the radius seemingly getting corrupted, so it might be a deeper issue at work here.

Last edited:

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Edit: regarding the buckler
To verify, the buckler was gotten from the 'default items' chest, and not purchased from the Armor chest, right?

Also, do you have an earlier save where equipping the buckler did not cause a crash?

Definitely from the default chest. Typically, I only buy shields from the opening shop if they're an upgrade or have unique art... plenty of bucklers for free in the default equipment.

I archived my old saves yesterday, so I'll have to dig to check (the one I posted is the oldest). However, if I start a new game with the same party , I don't get a crash from equipping the bucklers or any other default item. I tried in the shop and after entering Hommlet. This particular party gets 2 bucklers (for cleric and fighter).

3. Might happen when the merchant you're selling to has 200 items, could that be the case? Probably not rare when unloading to brother smyth or the EP chest.
As for identifying, do you mean shift-click? Never knew alt-click identifies :P

Hmm, I think it may only happen when there are more items than can fit in the visible merchant/container window (without scrolling). Two hundred seems high though... the games where I've seen alt-click fail are all fairly new, without a lot of gear changing hands or merchant inventory refresh. It also can happen in player usable storage (like the chest in the Moathouse tower or the barrels in Hommlet). I'll try heavily loading/unloading such a container to see if that breaks/fixes it.

For the other alt-click action, I mean the one for Read Magic that applies it to all unidentified potions and scrolls in party inventory. Occasionally, it misses and only the first item gets IDed. I'll play around with it to see whether it stays broken or if it's conditional, key registration problem etc.

Sounds like it. I suspect it's related to starting the encounter at the edge of the map. I'll try to rig the rand9m_enco7nter script to force that sort of behavior.

Oh, I see. You passed the survival check and knew he was there before the area change. Wasn't understanding how you were getting the encounter if the map crashes :roll:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Ok, I think I fixed the random encounter thing (build 706). There were actually two things at play there:
1. When facing an 'encampment' encounter, it would set the target to OBJ_HANDLE_NULL and cause problems. Fixed in python layer.
2. Sometimes enemies could spawn in the blocked off area and fail to find a suitable spawn point, resulting in a crash. Applied a limiter there in the random_encounter.py script.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
For the other alt-click action, I mean the one for Read Magic that applies it to all unidentified potions and scrolls in party inventory. Occasionally, it misses and only the first item gets IDed. I'll play around with it to see whether it stays broken or if it's conditional, key registration problem etc.
Oh, about that - were you using the spell in a safe area? That utility is limited to such areas. (i.e. Green Tent or Pass Time only - the temple staircase and Wonnilon's hideout aren't considered safe for that matter, despite not producing encounters in practice)

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Oh, about that - were you using the spell in a safe area? That utility is limited to such areas. (i.e. Green Tent or Pass Time only - the temple staircase and Wonnilon's hideout aren't considered safe for that matter, despite not producing encounters in practice)

Gah, didn't read the manual :). Makes sense, the way you've done it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I believe that the spell Bless currently requires the player to manually target the caster. It would make much more sense for the game engine to automatically centre and cast the spell on the caster when a caster casts the spell (since the spell is always centred on the caster).

Previous versions of Bless were not centered on the caster, so that you could target character(s) that are NOT in combat, and Bless them. I do NOT know about 3.5ED version however.

Sitra Achara

Arcane

My game crashed the instant that Iuz was supposed to spawn during the Hedrack combat. I have uploaded a screenshot of the crash, a saved game (named "13") for testing purposes, the crash dump file (named "148e6f0f-eb8f-430e-b417-bdc95aade553.dmp"), and my TemplePlus.log file to the "gazra's files" folder of Sitra Achara's Google Drive.
I tested the Hedrack combat 2 more times after this, and the Iuz scenario worked perfectly both times, which means that the Iuz crash that I experienced is uncommon and inconsistent.

That appears to be related to the large radius bug. Should be fixed in the more recent builds (and I've added some more logging to catch that sort of thing).

I've also fixed up some of the scripts for Iuz/Hedrack, should hopefully prevent stuff like Iuz not beginning conversation.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Build 718 should bring joy to munchkins worldwide: fixed Necklace of Adaptation (at least for Stinking Cloud & Cloudkill).

Yep, that means those two spells just got even more ridiculous, hehe.

To balance it out somewhat I'm going to fix I've fixed the bugs related to exiting the Stinking Cloud AOE (namely, it would try to apply the effect even after exiting the cloud, and if a character got sickened and exited the cloud the duration would be the full spell duration rather than 1d4 rounds).

Let me know if there are other spells the NoA should protect against.

Edit: Here it is!

upload_2016-3-19_14-24-41.png

Also: is Hezrou Stench supposed to take Spell Resistance into consideration?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom