Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's worth $25 dollars.

codexes favorite teenager is back at it

agree 100%. Dunno why he hates Serious Sam though.

He commented on this video about the serious Sam hate

He played first few levels SS on med or low difficulty found it repetitive and thinks its the worst game ever.

Most games only flow on the standard difficulty. Raise or lower it, and you ruin what the designers were going for.

Basically he is an idiot, which says alot about DOOM since even idiots see how shitty the game is. Then again he is still a kid so there is hope for him.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Serious Sam really isn't good though. I enjoyed 1st encounter enough to finish but never felt like playing it again, or any other SS game.

MapMan

Arcane
Okay... So I played the game at my friends. I played MP beta before and it was really shitty but I heard some good opinions about the SP so I thought to give it a go. Well, the SP experience is just as bad. The weapons are shitty, the piniatas are annoying as fuck. One button kills? No comment. I thought atleast the levels might be nice. Nope, they look boring and are basically an arena after arena, connected by small joints. The monster design sucks, the monsters dont look very different from each other. It's all... very generic and boring. I don't know. It's just not fun. I recently replayed doom solo and coop and I had a fucking blast. What does doom has that the new one doesn't? Just please, don't say it's nostalgia.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
What does doom has that the new one doesn't? Just please, don't say it's nostalgia.

Much better level design, smart enemy placement (instead of waves shit), brilliant art direction (few games can match Doom in that regard actually), better weapon feel and more satisfying gore (many 2.5 FPS still have that advantage over full 3D counterparts, especially modern games with their plastic look).

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Doom 1/2 feel like streamlined dungeon crawlers with more abstract level design, traps and other shit.
I'm replaying the original Doom now (with PSXDoom TC) and it feels good.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Ok, yeah, saw the video and take back what I said before. Made some good points, some things he said were incorrect/wrong assumptions, I don't think Bethesda is a name that jives well with the old school crowd.

Astral Rag

Arcane
LGR is a one of those reviewers who enjoys every AAA game ever made. Fake ID could have turned Doom into a QTE infested Gears of War clone and he probably still would have praised it to high heavens.

lightbane

Arcane

I like how the "next-gen monsters" stand out so much and look completely out of place (because they are). Also, they didn't even bother to make the episode 1 ending where you're trapped and killed by an invincible horde.

Cadmus

Arcane
Gears of war never had QTE'S. It's only called popamole by codex but I doubt a lot of codexers have played it.
I played GoW and you must be trolling or you fell on your head. Popping moles and QTEing is 90% of the game, the rest is Cole Train.
I didn't finish it because it was too retarded even in coop.

sullynathan

Arcane
You guys must have a different definition of QTE than I do.

Gears of war never had QTE'S. It's only called popamole by codex but I doubt a lot of codexers have played it.

Did you?
GoW have active reload shit and some in game QTE events like elevator in control, chainsaw events.
Uh active reloads is a quick reloading mechanic. Chainsaw duels were another mechanic introduced so that you weren't insta-killed by a Chainsaw wielder.

tormund

Arcane

Is this that "it's old now, therefore it's classic and good" crap in action? Because, even for regular AAA crowd, Gears of War is a symbol of dudebro cover shooters in a worst way. When HD version was released some time ago, even many console gamers recognized that game just isn't very good. It was successful back in the day due to novelty, marketing, and due to being launch tech demo for Xbox 360. People were always joking about its flaws as actual game, for example I knew about "ALL THAT JUICE" and related shit designed fight being a running joke even before I played PC port back then...

LGR is a one of those reviewers who enjoys every AAA game ever made. Fake ID could have turned Doom into a QTE infested Gears of War clone and he probably still would have praised it to high heavens.
P much. He and Gggman are good for older stuff LGR's stuff for old tech, oddities, industry history etc, but you can basically predict their words when they are reviewing some recent AAA (because you're going to hear same stuff you would find on IGN & co).

Last edited:

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Gears of War was king of popamole, kinda like COD4 was king of modern military shooters. Imitators came after, but none measured up.

GoW got many things right. It had a nice set of combat mechanics that felt GREAT, it had some alternate paths that rewarded you being a little bit clever, a super atmospheric environment that really felt like a world... only something like Dark Souls had a "world" like this. Most games just feel like a series of levels, and poorly masked corridors. In this one, the corridors were better masked. The story was as usual barebones, but I found myself actually following it. Oh and it had some cool asymmetrical mechanics for co-op, like one guy moving the light to protect the other, or one manning the turret while other drives the car...

I passed this game in co-op on PC, and it was my second memorable experience after passing Duke3D: Atomic Edition in co-op.

You realise the term "popamole" was born precisely because of the cover shooting Gears of War popularized? That's the original meaning of this fucking thing, it's not about QTEs.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

I like how the "next-gen monsters" stand out so much and look completely out of place (because they are). Also, they didn't even bother to make the episode 1 ending where you're trapped and killed by an invincible horde.

reminds me of jdoom

also fucking lol at the circle strafing

Astral Rag

Arcane
The inclusion of those butchered classics really make the franchise rape complete. :greatjob:

That shitty gunplay gameplay, I don't even

some incline:

Last edited:

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
codexes favorite teenager is back at it

OK, I'll bite...how can he have a wall full of boxed games, yet manage to make the display so shit?

Only poser fags care about making their collection display look pretty.

Either way, that's the best sum up of this game i've seen yet. This kid may not be perfectly Codexian (as if that means anything at this point), but he is better than most gaming youtubers i've seen.

I think I've figured out the reason why he dislikes Serious Sam so much, he's trying to play Serious Sam as if someone tried to play Doom as Call of Duty
:decline:

Quatlo

Arcane
The inclusion of those butchered classics really make the franchise rape complete. :greatjob:

That shitty gunplay gameplay, I don't even

some incline:
I can post a video of some retard playing ANY game on console and it will look like shit. Your point?

Last edited:

Riskbreaker

Worst thing about original Serious Sams is that weapons felt like fucking waterguns. Utter lack of satisfying audiovisual feedback, which just sucked all the fun out of its action and further accented the tedium of it all.

That's why Will Rock was the only one of Sam's many offspring that I genuinely enjoyed: shooting was actually fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
retard playing ANY game on console
Did you come to that conclusion that someone playing the game so badly must've been playing it on console then? Because it's clearly played on PC.
Anyone who played Marathon is a bro to me, but there's criticizing a game and being unable to grasp the mechanics in the first place which then becomes your main point of critique. I may suck donkey balls at Alien Soldier, but when I play Alien Soldier I realize I fucking suck at it and could do better. He doesn't even prioritize Headless Kamikazes or pull out his revolvers to deal with them.

2:40 to 3:08 : "Shit I dunno where to go, let me check another walkthrough to see what to do"

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
First mistake of that SSam video: He's biased against the game from the get-go, as a result the video will never amount to anything more than a rant.
Second mistake of that SSam video: He's playing the HD version, which despite the graphical update is not as good as the original. A compromise could have been reached by playing SSam: Revolutions.
Third mistake of that SSam video: He doesn't like it when a game goes for a little cheese by spawning enemies behind him, then names Doom 3 as a game that isn't cheesy for doing the exact same thing. (His excuse is that "Doom 3 is doing so much more than combat".)
Fourth mistake: He's a n00b SSam player. He doesn't even try the knife, he doesn't explore the levels (like Doom 3 is all about, by his own words) and he doesn't even try to use the terrain to his advantage, yet blames the terrain for his own stupid mistake (like taking the elevator the wrong way, it's there to send people up from the bottom).
Fifth and final mistake: He hasn't really played the game. The video only covers the first two levels which doesn't do the full game justice. A trademark of the SSam games is that they start small, then slowly ramp everything up. Everyone who's played the SSam games know this.

So angsty little kid can go fuck himself for all I care.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom