Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
The guns in Doom2016 do sound weak imo.

It depends. For a Doom game, the shotgun is pretty crap, but the Heavy Assault Rifle and the Plasma rifle feel great. The HAR even feels and sounds better than the chaingun, especially if you use micro missiles.

A lot of the weapons' damage and features actually come from their mods, and I noticed that you seem to deal more damage with upgraded weapons than non-upgraded weapons.

sullynathan

Arcane
The game is good. Reading codexers posts makes you think it's worse than it really is. It's not a high gun skill type game, but neither was the original.

I will say that there is more platforming that I was expecting, and it's not very good at times due to lack of air control and the "grab the ledge" mechanics that modern games have that don't allow you to get on a higher platform if you aren't facing the platform.

I haven't beaten the game nor fought a boss yet, but one thing I noticed about how the game handles keys is that so far, no key has led to more optional areas of the map like the original doom did. In the original, depending on map, you could get a yellow or red key before you got a blue key and then explore some area of the map to find secrets, weapons and etc. In the one, keys are sequential. You find the yellow key to then unlock the door for the blue key. Secrets are more separate.

3D Map sucks and is a bigger chore to use than the old 2D. Always resetting where you last left off when you leave.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
Is it me, or is there a surprising lack of sound and music in the early levels in comparison to Eternal?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom