Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Baff

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Just out of curiosity and an observation, he repeatedly says he worked on it "alone" and he was a "one-man team" quite often, yet the credits list other people including around 10 testers.

Yes, other people have been involved, he has made no secret of that. For the first 10 years, Cleve did 95% of the work involved on Grimoire. For the last 10 years, he has done 99.9% of the work.

I can't imagine the hurt he must be feeling when people call the work of art he has devoted 20 years of his life an early access.
Early access is where it should have gone, though, and it's nothing to be ashamed for. The game is really good and definitely worth the price tag for me from what I've seen so far (12 hours in and about 5% of areas according to in-game stats), but a single man with a handful of testers cannot realistically expect to catch all bugs or anticipate all possible issues with different hardware/OS combinations. AoD spent around two years in EA I think after all, as did Underrail.

Going full release put a lot more pressure on Cleve, and it shows -- the game doesn't really seem to have had too many serious bugs on release, and I don't think the balancing is quite as off/hard to fix as some make it sound, either, it's just that hasty patches that break as many things as they fix and only ever get more erratic would make anything look like a mess.

Last edited:
Latest update made my save invalid. :rage:

Cleve is scanning saves and deleting those with bad party compositions. If you think about it he is saving you from a world of hurt down the line, which is pretty :obviously:

It sucks but the game does have its share of teething problems. Hang in there!

Yeah, I had to create a separate folder under my apps just to get the game to run after the latest update.

Btw, still confused about the stats thing. I've rolled a naga with 30 points before, but still no option for assassin class? What am I doing wrong?

Weasel
They're still coming

Xfp3PnI.png

Mech

Cipher
This might seem super obvious, but has anyone tried launching Grimoire.exe with admin rights to see if it fixes the overwriting saves issue?

Sounds like a pretty basic UAC issue.

Rick

Erudite
This might seem super obvious, but has anyone tried launching Grimoire.exe with admin rights to see if it fixes the overwriting saves issue?

I did, and it didn't work.

You think it's saving (no error handling, so no feedback) but it doesn't do the save.

Mech

Cipher

I did, and it didn't work.

You think it's saving (no error handling, so no feedback) but it doesn't do the save.
Interesting. My next guess is the function which saves games was modified to use the new directory, but Cleve forgot to update the part of the code that handles overwriting files.

If someone feels like testing.... copy an existing save game file into the OLD directory, then play the game and load that save file, move a bit, and then save over top of it. Next check that save file in the OLD directory and see if it was updated.

Themadcow

Augur
Start, go through the same sections, critical fail, patch, start again, experience is similar but yet different, fail, patch, start again...

Cleve has invented the first Blobber game inspired by The Stanley Parable.

Dumb question - is it possible to delete saves in game?

Can't see a way in game. I've been deleting them by hand in the latest version. As a hopeless & unsightly save scummer, this is what I imagine the "walk of shame" is like for people capable of interpersonal relations.

Weasel
Not sure speculating about viruses in Grimoire is the best move right now, but I'm probably mostly Sapiens so can't see past the short term :negative:

GOLDEN ERA GAMES
[developer] Just now
Something Has Messed Up Grimoire So Badly I Can't Even Understand How It Is Possible
It has lost the ability with simple ANSI C file commands to overwrite a file or delete an existing one. I have never seen anything like it in thirty years of programming, never, on an application anywhere. "NO, DON'T OVERWRITE THIS FILE" is not a windows message. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

The sample savegames were uploaded by people pirating the software. That was a pirated version they uploaded. There were pirates asking for support on this forum. I don't know if they have introduced a very ugly virus into the program. I trusted them when I had a look at their samples but discovered later these are all pirated copies they were ASKING FOR SUPPORT for on this forum.

These are simple file commands to create, write and erase files. I took out ALL file commands to get permissions for user app files and rolled BACK to what was there before. There is nothing to these commands, no special windows tokens for users, no file specs on files. I deleted my target directory and started in a new one. The problem is still there. Grimoire can't even simple create files, erase them and write news ones. I have never seen something so messed up.

This is why we can't have nice things on this planet.

I am running my AV software with new definitions and trying some new things with file permissions, I have to work carefully and see if I can isolate the problem. These aren't fancy Windows file writes we are talking about. These are vanilla C commands working for 20 years, never had a problem of any kind.

I am really sorry about this and working constantly on the problem. It's a shame because the game was just now reaching a nice stable version before this nightmare. Now it has basically been sabotaged in Steam ratings and is giving newcomers a terrible impression of the game.

Warning anybody who posts to this forum for support for a pirated product you got off Dropbox or Megashare that you will be banned permanently, reported to Steam and it is likely they will remove your account for pirating products you got off Steam.

Last edited:

DarKPenguiN

Arcane

GOLDEN ERA GAMES
[developer] Just now
Something Has Messed Up Grimoire So Badly I Can't Even Understand How It Is Possible
It has lost the ability with simple ANSI C file commands to overwrite a file or delete an existing one. I have never seen anything like it in thirty years of programming, never, on an application anywhere. "NO, DON'T OVERWRITE THIS FILE" is not a windows message. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

The sample savegames were uploaded by people pirating the software. That was a pirated version they uploaded. There were pirates asking for support on this forum. I don't know if they have introduced a very ugly virus into the program. I trusted them when I had a look at their samples but discovered later these are all pirated copies they were ASKING FOR SUPPORT for on this forum.

These are simple file commands to create, write and erase files. I took out ALL file commands to get permissions for user app files and rolled BACK to what was there before. There is nothing to these commands, no special windows tokens for users, no file specs on files. I deleted my target directory and started in a new one. The problem is still there. Grimoire can't even simple create files, erase them and write news ones. I have never seen something so messed up.

I am running my AV software with new definitions and trying some new things with file permissions, I have to work carefully and see if I can isolate the problem. These aren't fancy Windows file writes we are talking about. These are vanilla C commands working for 20 years, never had a problem of any kind.

I am really sorry about this and working constantly on the problem. It's a shame because the game was just now reaching a nice stable version before this nightmare. Now it has basically been sabotaged in Steam ratings and is giving newcomers a terrible impression of the game.
Wait- What does this even mean.

Can someone translate please?

edit: Anyone?

Themadcow

Augur

GOLDEN ERA GAMES
[developer] Just now

Soros has paid Isreali Russian hackers to halt the incline.

Mech

Cipher

GOLDEN ERA GAMES
[developer] Just now

Simple: Grimoire is doomed.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane

GOLDEN ERA GAMES
[developer] Just now

Soros has paid Isreali Russian hackers to halt the incline.
exactly what thought.

Thank you for the clarification.

Damn Soros.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane

GOLDEN ERA GAMES
[developer] Just now

Simple: Grimoire is doomed.
No but seriously.

Pirates somehow (?) got their code into the game and made it all screwed up by putting in save files for support...

Ahhh nvm- I'm at a loss and dont understand all this tech stuff.

Just want my grim-wah =(

edit- Its does sound pretty bad though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom