Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Prime Junta

I don't know to be honest,i finished the game and will try it out again after all the DLC is out....maybe. But judging by the core of the game,yeah it is pretty easy and patches won't do much about it.

After level 12 or so difficulty goes down the toilet. It's select-all auto-attack every time, all the time.

The game's difficulty curve is really ... weird, especially on PotD, even for a cRPG with a big level spread. In fact I haven't been able to beat some of the fights on Maje Island without hiring mercs, thing feels like I brought a butter knife to a gun fight. OTOH once you're a few levels up and are able to choose what to do and when, it flattens out. And once you hit the high levels, it turns into a snoozy kind of grind.

I really wish games like this would make character development more horizontal and less vertical. This has horizontal development too but mostly it's just inflating numbers. That's just inherently crazy difficult to balance when the scope gets this big.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
After level 12 or so difficulty goes down the toilet. It's select-all auto-attack every time, all the time.

That's how it was in vanilla PoE on PotD also though. Until something patch 2.5 or maybe even later. Glad I'm waiting for .final now

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's still true in PoE 3.7, though. Well, depending on your party composition. The biggest culprits are Ciphers and Priests and their insane high level abilities, playing without them is noticeably harder, you might even have to use consumables and scrolls for some fights. It also depends on whether you use companions or hired adventurers, the companions have shockingly shit stats, so it's going to be harder with them.

Why do we have 2 threads about PoE2?

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It's still true in PoE 3.7, though. Well, depending on your party composition. The biggest culprits are Ciphers and Priests and their insane high level abilities, playing without them is noticeably harder, you might even have to use consumables and scrolls for some fights. It also depends on whether you use companions or hired adventurers, the companions have shockingly shit stats, so it's going to be harder with them.

Why do we have 2 threads about PoE2?

JIDF boy is geting bored fighting neo nazis and shiat

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I don't know to be honest,i finished the game and will try it out again after all the DLC is out....maybe. But judging by the core of the game,yeah it is pretty easy and patches won't do much about it.

The game's difficulty curve is really ... weird, especially on PotD, even for a cRPG with a big level spread. In fact I haven't been able to beat some of the fights on Maje Island without hiring mercs, thing feels like I brought a butter knife to a gun fight. OTOH once you're a few levels up and are able to choose what to do and when, it flattens out. And once you hit the high levels, it turns into a snoozy kind of grind.

I really wish games like this would make character development more horizontal and less vertical. This has horizontal development too but mostly it's just inflating numbers. That's just inherently crazy difficult to balance when the scope gets this big.
Yup, examples of games that do difficulty well are Underrail and Vogel's games,but that is more connected to the system. The game would have benefited from some max level enemies/bosses. The game is balanced around party of 10-13 level characters. It is aimed at the casuals retards.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
i was googling "western rpg franchise versus final fantasy" in order to make a new trolling thread with the title of

"is there any western rpg that has a better story than ff7" (or a variation thereof)

anyway during the search stumbled upon some truly goldmine IGN forum threads "debating" the merits of wrpgs vs jrpgs.
Are you saying that FF games have some kind of story? I though that they were all about grinding,random encounters and tedious combat.

You forgot about 11 hours of Michael Bay quality animation
I haven't played any of that demented shit mate. Japs just can't keep a single story straight,there is like 20-30 FF games with all different characters and shit.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

At least they know about this problem?
On their forum, did anyone brought this subject to light?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
nah, the difficulty curve thing is a poe2 subject that no one has brought up yet anywhere, not even once!

Sentinel

Arcane
Okay, serious question. Is this the most beautiful 2D game ever made?

800px-PE2_Sayuka.png

800px-PE2_Bentbranch_Bog.png

799px-PE2_Crookspur.png

711px-PE2_Glowing_Outcrop.png

800px-PE2_Sea-Lashed_Crypt.png

800px-PE2_Spire_Seer_2.png
you should play commandos

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Finished it. It's okay.

+ art is beautiful
+ Not sure about length but there's about...15-20 maps I guess. More than I expected.
+ writing is serviceable but expands greatly on important parts of the lore, which is nice
+ good loot
+ lots of cool puzzles, one is a labyrinth and another has you go back in time to reshape the entire map
+ Vatnir is a bro

- no good set piece fights
- enemies are insufferable HP sponges. I can't see myself replaying it just to see what other choices I could do.

Overall a good DLC and worth the price.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Considering this and Old World Blues, it certainly seems as though damage sponges are the default for Obsidian whenever Josh isn't around to tell them to cut it out.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Considering this and Old World Blues, it certainly seems as though damage sponges are the default for Obsidian whenever Josh isn't around to tell them to cut it out.

Worth noting that this is on PoTD with level 20 party and scaling enabled.

But yeah.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Here's Vatnir's full voiceset

"Did - I think Aloth just died!"

"The Dyrwoodan's insides are on his outside!"

"Rymrgand claim you, Maia..."

"Hylea have mercy on your soul."

"The foulmouthed pirate died!"

"Ngati's chosen, pshaw."

"Who reaps the reaper?"

"Everything dies."

"Serves you right..."

"Aloth's asleep!"

"Wake up your farmer!"

"Maia! Hey Maia!"

"The disbeliever's down!"

"Serafen went down like a sack of seal skyt!"

"Not so handsome now, are you Tekēhu?"

"Can't cull souls if you're sleeping, Xoti!"

"Uh... someone want to help the Watcher?!"

"Wake up before you wake up dead!"

"Damnation!"

"H- hey!"

"Gods preserve me."

"If you insist."

"To the void with you!"

"That's, uh, not a thing I know. To do."

"Surely someone else is better suited to the task?

"Straight away."

"Just a moment."

"Of course."

"Ha! Glory be!"

"Die already!"

"Skyt!"

"Gods damn it all!"

"That looks, uh, different."

"Look at that!"

"Thank the gods it's over."

"What do you think they want?"

"Someone sneaking around over there..."

"Oh gods! Oh gods! Oh gods!"

"Are you trying to kill me?"

"I'm not the enemy!"

"'You're coming with me.' I'll show you who's coming with who..."

"Could be worse. We could be in the White that Wends."

"For frost's sake! What? What?!"

"You could have left me back at the Watch for all the good we're doing."

"Are we awaiting something?"

"Frozen in place!"

"I'm - ugh - stuck!"

"Everything hurts. More than usual, even."

"I don't suppose you plan to make camp soon..."

"I miss my canoe..."

"I'm not an ox."

"Again? Let's get it over with, then."

"You want me in front?"

"I'll guide the way, then."

"Do you have a moment to, uhm, converse?"

"I think I've just. About. Got it."

"Not my strongest skill, but here."

"I've got one foot in the Beyond..."

"Frost claim me!"

"The gods guide me, I shall not fear..."

"I... I don't feel right..."

"I feel warm... I never feel warm..."

"Tread lightly."

"Like shadows on the snow."

"I'm here."

"I'm listening."

"Time to rethink this strategem!"

"This isn't as effective as you seem to think!"

"Finally."

"It's done. Happy?"

"On your feet, fool!"

"Into the void..."

"Grusome..."

"Watch what you're doing!"

"Do you expect to find something here?"

"One aurochs, two aurochs, white aurochs, blue aurochs."

"You'd think she'd tire of glaring at me."

"At least Ydwin's quiet now!"

"She deserved worse."

"Of course, Duskspeaker.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
The polar bears have better armor than all the ships in the deadfire combined. The game seems buggier now than it did within the first couple weeks of launch.

The DLC is about what I expected. Vatnik is a neat little character and I would have much rather had him as my priest from Day 1 than Xoti. A shame he's more of a sidekick ++ than a full companion. The time dilation quest is an ok gimmick (was that supposed to be Durance in that bridge segment?). I can understand why there hasn't been a huge bump in players for this on the steamcharts. I expect the hundreds (thousands?) of other people still interested in this IP will be waiting until the complete collection of DLC is out to revisit this thing and I kind of wish I'd stayed away until it was all done and dusted too.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah the amount of armor on some enemies was off the tits. When legendary weapons can't penetrate generic trashmobs, something is off. I had one full party wipe and couple of closes ones, but it was basically enemies wearing me down in long, boring, stale fights.

Prime Junta

I'm not thrilled with PotD as it's currently implemented. I mean yes, it does stave off the difficulty drop a bit, but it does it in a dull way, by inflating numbers, especially by inflating enemy defences and HP. IOW it feels like early Pillars 1 PotD all over again: pull, kite, CC, heal, grind. While Veteran is easier it's also more fun as you can set up ambushes and alpha strikes and what have you, and actually get a satisfying result out of them.

The difficulty past mid-game needs a serious retune, and PotD needs a complete overhaul. I would want to see enemy defences and HP tuned down, enemy attacks tuned up (past the early game, on Maje the fuckers hit like a freight train already), and AI improved so they're less susceptible to tank-and-spank. That would make the fights punishing but satisfying instead of the slow grinds they are now.

Put another way: if a reasonably competent party alpha-striking a mook from stealth can't take even one out in the opening, enemy defences are too high.

tl;dr wait until the GotY edition or play on Veteran while gimping yourself if so desired, e.g. by making the most fashionable adventuring party of Deadfire (no armour, only clothes). It's more fun that way.

ArchAngel

Arcane
And Siege of Dragonspear wins in difficulty department. I played it on hardest with extra damage for enemies turned off and then it gives more enemies per group, those groups get extra spellcasters and enemy AI uses best spells and tactics to fight you. None of this boring number inflating difficulty shit that both PoE and PoE2 use.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom