Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
purpleblob Except they aren't. Deadfire has better scores from critics and users. It has already won GOTY awards from the worlds largest PC gaming magazine and worlds longest running PC gaming magazine. 20 times as many people finish it over Kingmaker.

Kingmaker's popularity on the codex is largely contrarianism, due to spending three years fostering a vitriolic anti-Obsidian circlejerk. Yet as soon as turn-based mode for Deadfire was announced, this thread died until I started posting about its pathetic completion rate.

Obsidian used to make buggy albeit appealing storyfag games. Their POE outings have been more technically competent, but weaker storyfag wise. Some people are holding out hope for The Outer Worlds, but long term the Microsoft acquisition means there is no hope for Obsidian.

My biggest criticism of POE is that it feels like it's made/balanced more like an MMO, rather than a traditional RPG, making it turn based is not the answer, the gameplay would be more enjoyable by going the opposite way mirroring competent Diablo clones (like Path of Exile).

Appealing to reviews is also meaningless, Oblivion has a better metacritic score than Deadfire (I'd rather play Deadfire). Not that Deadfire is a bad game, it just needed to make the main quest line more compelling, overhaul the combat system (I don't think turn based is the answer for its mechanics but I'm willing to try) and expand the seafaring mechanics.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Maybe POE2, Western, POE1 was a huge mess. People cry about kingmaker loading times, but POE1 was much worse, each area was 5 mins of life lost.
And huuuuge bugs at release.

Surprisingly, Tides of Numenera had really bearable loading times and nearly no bugs at release.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Maybe POE2, Western, POE1 was a huge mess. People cry about kingmaker loading times, but POE1 was much worse, each area was 5 mins of life lost.
And huuuuge bugs.

Surprisingly, Tides of Numenera had really bearable loading times and nearly no bugs at release.

I personally didn't any game breaking POE bugs at release, but I got some extremely annoying ones, there was a bug that affected the movement speed of my monk that was especially annoying, and 2-3 quest breaking bugs. On the upside it was patched relatively quickly (load times weren't great I agree).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://steamcommunity.com/games/Pathfinder_Kingmaker/announcements/detail/1720837068969394525

Merry Christmas!
25 DECEMBER - WOODEN_DRAGON

Dear Pathfinders!
The Owlcat Games team, along with the baron's team, wish you a Merry Christmas and all the good, and all the loot!

fdbe0b6a08928aa00c5b561d23365d4ecda6e461.jpg

Seethe

Arbiter
purpleblob Except they aren't. Deadfire has better scores from critics and users. It has already won GOTY awards from the worlds largest PC gaming magazine and worlds longest running PC gaming magazine. 20 times as many people finish it over Kingmaker.

Kingmaker's popularity on the codex is largely contrarianism, due to spending three years fostering a vitriolic anti-Obsidian circlejerk. Yet as soon as turn-based mode for Deadfire was announced, this thread died until I started posting about its pathetic completion rate.
POE is a surprising mix. It has some quality but with it comes corporate watering down. It seems like a game which wants to be nice and likeable to everyone instead of trying to be something great or even particulary good.
It also has a lot of incompetence (systems balance, writing), but incompetence without pretense for something great or fun. I can appreciate failure if someone tried to do something interesting, but they seem to be stumbling all the time without trying to do something particulary worthwhile.

Kingmaker is just on another level compared to POE.
Bugs or some overpowered builds of Kingmaker are nothing compared to fundamentally boring game systems or inconsistent and unfocused narrative of POE.

Yeah, it's just on another level. If that level includes not showing the negative effects on enemies, or tooltips not telling you what your ability does. Really induces a noggin joggening. 2 hours into the game, and it's full of fatal flaws such as these. The tooltips are simply the worst, dispersing contradictory and misleading information to the left and right. What does ray of slickening do? It provides no numbers, nothing.

EDIT: You can actually check enemy stats if you press Y and click on them. And do some math. Still, this sucks.

Also, how do you plan your build in this game? Where can I see what spells I can get at level 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9? Oh that's right, you can't. Nothing's better than DnD based video games with no rulebooks in-game. It has an encyclopedia, but it's all fluff. Because I really care how much a boar weighs.

Gt2018+gtstill+brushing+teeth+just+open+_2e49f1b3779df1915b7deea212b230db.jpg

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Yeah, it's just on another level. If that level includes not showing the negative effects on enemies, or tooltips not telling you what your ability does. Really induces a noggin joggening. 2 hours into the game, and it's full of fatal flaws such as these. The tooltips are simply the worst, dispersing contradictory and misleading information to the left and right. What does ray of slickening do? It provides no numbers, nothing. The only way to know what it does, is wait for an NPC to cast it on you, then look through your character sheet to see the aftermath. You can't see how the enemies are affected either. A half-assed and situational workaroud is you click on them in the combat log after they attacked you post debuff, and deduce from it how their attacks are affected by your debuffs based on their rolls.

Also, how do you plan your build in this game? Where can I see what spells I can get at level 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9? Oh that's right, you can't.
Yeah, these things are pretty bad.

Kingmaker is still better than PoE.

Elex

Arbiter

POE is a surprising mix. It has some quality but with it comes corporate watering down. It seems like a game which wants to be nice and likeable to everyone instead of trying to be something great or even particulary good.
It also has a lot of incompetence (systems balance, writing), but incompetence without pretense for something great or fun. I can appreciate failure if someone tried to do something interesting, but they seem to be stumbling all the time without trying to do something particulary worthwhile.

Kingmaker is just on another level compared to POE.
Bugs or some overpowered builds of Kingmaker are nothing compared to fundamentally boring game systems or inconsistent and unfocused narrative of POE.

Yeah, it's just on another level. If that level includes not showing the negative effects on enemies, or tooltips not telling you what your ability does. Really induces a noggin joggening. 2 hours into the game, and it's full of fatal flaws such as these. The tooltips are simply the worst, dispersing contradictory and misleading information to the left and right. What does ray of slickening do? It provides no numbers, nothing.

EDIT: You can actually check enemy stats if you press Y and click on them. And do some math. Still, this sucks.

Also, how do you plan your build in this game? Where can I see what spells I can get at level 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9? Oh that's right, you can't. Nothing's better than DnD based video games with no rulebooks in-game. It has an encyclopedia, but it's all fluff. Because I really care how much a boar weighs.

Gt2018+gtstill+brushing+teeth+just+open+_2e49f1b3779df1915b7deea212b230db.jpg
you use rulebook.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Real busy december at work, now: vacation and vidya games. How much did the game get patched yet?

EDIT:
The only way to know what it does, is wait for an NPC to cast it on you, then look through your character sheet to see the aftermath. You can't see how the enemies are affected either

:what:

Ooookay, still prudent to wait, I take it?

you use rulebook.

Correct me if I'm wrong but many rules have changed, especially on the higher difficulties, no? I've posted some PNP examples as answers in the old thread, and a few of those were not representative of the ingame implementation.

Morkar Left

How stable is the game? Are there still bugfixes needed? Any gamebreaking bugs? How is balancing especially regarding to changes to the pnp rule set (sneak attack especially)?

Elex

Arbiter
Real busy december at work, now: vacation and vidya games. How much did the game get patched yet?

EDIT:
The only way to know what it does, is wait for an NPC to cast it on you, then look through your character sheet to see the aftermath. You can't see how the enemies are affected either

:what:

Ooookay, still prudent to wait, I take it?

you use rulebook.

Correct me if I'm wrong but many rules have changed, especially on the higher difficulties, no? I've posted some PNP examples as answers in the old thread, and a few of those were not representative of the ingame implementation.
the fun part is during some stream paizo people where happy about stuff like the “multiple stacked sneak attack” implementation.

Codex Year of the Donut
The best part of the asshurt PoE fanboys rattling off the bad things about this game is that despite all the flaws it's still a better game than dumpsterfire.

ArchAngel

Arcane
This topic died off because:
#2 Atom has been released and by all accounts it is a good game so people moved there.
>Atom
>good game

Are you fucking kidding me? Atom is a shitty clone of Fallout 1, that didn't lived up to original, what the fuck you talking about?
I have not played it yet but I have been reading the topic and almost everyone is praising it. You are first person on 'Dex that I have seen say anything negative about it.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I have not played it yet but I have been reading the topic and almost everyone is praising it. You are first person on 'Dex that I have seen say anything negative about it.
You also can hear praises to EA on certain forums, but does it make BFV a good game? Besides, why you said that Atom is good game if you didn't played it, lol? I played Atom and I didn't liked this game, maybe I wrong in something, but at least I don't blindly rely on Codexers opinion.

ArchAngel

Arcane
You also can hear praises to EA on certain forums, but does it make BFV a good game? Besides, why you said that Atom is good game if you didn't played it, lol? I played Atom and I didn't liked this game, maybe I wrong in something, but at least I don't blindly rely on Codexers opinion.
Then you are on the wrong forum. More often than not, my tastes align with what 'Dex agrees with.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Then you are on the wrong forum. More often than not, my tastes align with what 'Dex agrees with.
Or maybe I am on right forum and you act right now like an idiot who use game (which you didn't even played) as argument in discussion while claiming that this game is good "cuz many people post in topic"?
I mean, in Deadfire many people discussed game to and there was shitload fanbois too, but "somehow" you don't consider this game as good (while it's perfectly fits in your logic as example).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom