Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

the_shadow

Arcane
How exactly does mythology work? Sometimes when I fight enemies they have ? marks next to their names, and sometimes they don't, but I can't view any of their statistics (eg. resistances, defense, attack, health).

And how do I poison/sharpen/enchant weapons if I gain the skill? I click on an item I want to to sharpen/poison in the inventory workshop, but the poison/sharpen buttons are still greyed out.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Mythology lets you see the real name of the enemy instead of the question marks. There is also some information in the journal on the monsters you identified, but you do not get statistics or their exact numbers.

Currently, echanting and the like seems to work only at shrines, forges, etc. When you are there, activate the forge or shrine first.

SevenSidedDice

Learned
Which party members act before the monarch? If your bard goes early, do you have a Horn of Winter? That should freeze the monster. If it's your fighter types who are faster, then those battles will be easier once you have sufficient skill in Lethal Blow.

Haven't tried Horn of WWinter yet. My bard is usually first but only with thistle whistle, and last for everything else.

Gunnar

Arbiter
The Samhain Horror on Superhero difficulty was ridiculous and I only won because I eventually got lucky and landed a critical hit. Here are some things he did:

- sometimes acted first despite some of my guys having 100 speed
- I could barely damage it and it healed to full every round
- there were rounds were every character missed multiple attacks
- struck 2 characters with broken glass doing 180+ damage
- summoned 8 psilobites which would be enough to wipe me out on their own

Stuff like Invoking Caliburnus and crushing fist did barely any damage, not enough to cover what it recovered each round and he resisted every status I tried. (admittedly not many since both my wizards usually didn't survive the first round.)

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
That's interesting - on the second hardest difficulty I had no problem killing him in one round with melee and four Crushing Fists. I think I used something like five Armor Plate spells and several Magic Screens.

Gunnar

Arbiter
The problem may be my party composition. I'm trying out some multiclass builds and only had one caster with crushing fist (Necromancer, and he's terrible). I probably should have just grinded until I had more fists.

These two are working out very well:

RAN-THI-BAR-CLE-TEM
RAN-THI-BAR-SAG-THAU

Both arrived at their final class with lots of attribute points.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Me before leaving the Avian Mountains:
Okay, gotta hand it to the Neanderthal, this game is pretty good. Didn't expect it to be mostly linear, but I suppose that's okay - it's just like Wizardry VI, after all.

Me after leaving the Avian Mountains:
:shredder:

rooroosta

Barely Literate
I'm really enjoying the game too, i'm not usually a fan of random encounters or turn-based combat (i'm a Dungeon Master, Grimrock player) but it doesn't bother me so much playing Grimoire. I've nearly completed act 1 and i'm having fun,

IronMaiden

Novice
Me before leaving the Avian Mountains:
Okay, gotta hand it to the Neanderthal, this game is pretty good. Didn't expect it to be mostly linear, but I suppose that's okay - it's just like Wizardry VI, after all.

Me after leaving the Avian Mountains:
:shredder:

Once you are out of the starting area it isn't linear at all, in fact it is wide open.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Does it make sense to multiclass characters if you have not planned it out from the start? My party is around level 4-5.

Incendax

Augur
Does it make sense to multiclass characters if you have not planned it out from the start? My party is around level 4-5.
If you are only multiclassing a few times, you don’t need to plan anything out except making sure a path actually exists. But the more you know the more it helps, such as levels required to unlock certain spells and skills.

If you are going multiclass heavy, you are going to want a plan.

SevenSidedDice

Learned
Is there a list of all item containers in the game? I'm at the Parlor of the Mandarin/Celestial Watchtower/Donjon of the Mandarin and I have acquired these so far:
  • Quest Pouch
  • Ring Pouch
  • Wizard Bag
  • All Purpose Barrel
  • Pantry
  • Magic Sack
  • Quest Locker
  • Huntsman Quarrel
  • Canvas Sack
  • Ivory Scrollcase
I savescummed a few times (Ninjas!) and I think I found another container, but I don't have it on my current save. So it might be a random loot thing. Or maybe I shouldn't play grimoire half-asleep.

If anyone finds a container in those areas, please mention it in this thread!

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
None of the containers are random.

Scroll Case - Spirit Caverns

Magic Sack - Wizard's Sky Barge

Wizard Bag - Samhain Underworld

Quest Locker - Kublai Axis

Potion Rack - Kublai Axis

Huntsman's Quarrel - Gaol Sewers

Canvas Sack - City of Waterport

Pantry - H.M.S. Intrepid

All Purpose Barrel - The Snark

Quest Pouch - Sargasso

Bookcase - Imperial Palace

Barding Kit - Ruins of Gideon

Jewelry Box - Chasm of the Oracle

Snakeskin Pouch - 3rd Coil

SevenSidedDice

Learned
Where did you find that one? It's not in the list yet.

Path of the Elders

9NHPas7.png

bzqz1PZ.png

0kBGmuU.png

Gunnar

Arbiter
I just found the Giant Killer sword in a chest with the bopwanker in the Titan Mines, assay lists its correctly. The wiki has the sword listed as found in the pyramid.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I just found the Giant Killer sword in a chest with the bopwanker in the Titan Mines, assay lists its correctly. The wiki has the sword listed as found in the pyramid.

Then there are two Giant Killer swords in the game - never found the one in the Titan Mines though. Maybe it has been added in the updates or it is a random drop there.

1.jpg

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Does anyone know who wants the rare fish that you get from the wells? The journal entry says that there is someone interested in getting those.

Comte

How high does my swimming skills have to be to cross the water in the Aquavia causeway?

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Are the Perk and Common Gate keys used for something I haven't discovered yet? I find an awful lot of those.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom