Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview IGN interview: FO3=MW with gunz

Jarinor

Liturgist
How could they even consider doing Fallout in anything other than isometric? If you put it in first person, you effectively put it in real-time (Wizardry games are an exception, but they don't have called shots either) which means it's now twitch action combat, not take-a-risk-on-a-5%-shot combat. I also shudder to think that the SPECIAL system would be replaced with the crappy one they had in Morrowind, which essentially amounted to "Get high endurance early, and pump strength/dex later". Nearly every character had identical (i.e. 100 in most) stats, which isn't any fun at all.

I'm going to have to join the doom and gloom naysayers until proven otherwise. But really, what the fuck was Herve thinking?

He was thinking "I'm gonna have a lot of fun rubbing all this cash into my crotch tonight huhuhuh"

I'll catch up on this debacle tomorrow.

suibhne

Erudite
StraitLacedDeviant said:
He was thinking "I'm gonna have a lot of fun rubbing all this cash into my crotch tonight huhuhuh"

Hey, look at it on the bright side - our rage is inflating our post counts.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
suibhne said:
StraitLacedDeviant said:

Hey, look at it on the bright side - our rage is inflating our post counts.

Don't mock us. We're suffering as Fallout fans, here!

Post count ++

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
COME ON GUYS, BETHESDA MAKED SOME GOOD GAMES THAT WERE VERY FUN . THEY WILL DO THE SAME WITH FALLOUT, SO NO NEED TO WORRY. L EAVE IT UP TO THE DEVS LOL

gOOGLE AND FALLOUT UNITE!!!!!!

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I would have probably been happy if Bioware or even Squaresoft attained the Fallout license. At least they make games that are fun, that have actual GAMEPLAY, that I can play for hours (8+) and actually care to finish. Bethesda's never impressed me in any of these regards.

taks

Liturgist
Jarinor said:
But really, what the fuck was Herve thinking?
do you think herve had any concern for the integrity of the FO license? heck, he bought into it in the first place and he's certainly not one of the "by gamers, for gamers" originals... herve was thinking he's going to jail unless he makes the cash right for investors, employees and various creditors and FO is the only thing he's got that's worth anything (certainly not his good word!). oh wait, he's got lionheart, too... that'll get him millions...

with any luck, he'll still go to jail...

taks

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Exitium hit the nail on the head for me. It's the simple fact i haven't enjoyed *any* of Betsheda's games that gots me "panties ina twist". I expect any company - be it Betsheda, BIO, SS, et.c, etc. - to make changes to FO3 to fit them; but the sad thing is with Bethsseda I simply fear they'll make the game as unfun for me as their other games. With BIO, and co. I enjoyed their games so while different their version of FO3 would ultimately be fun for me.

voodoo1man

Liturgist
Hines the big fat PR Clown.

What's really bugging me is Bethesda's PR. What the fuck is wrong with Peter Hines? If he doesn't know anything about the upcoming game, why the fuck is he giving 3 interviews a day on it? Every question basically states "It's too early to tell," or "We'll maybe sort-of do that or this," but always "It will be good!" If that clown would have just shut up, this thread wouldn't be here, and we wouldn't be here worrying about Fallout's future. Another thing that pisses me off about him, and I've already mentioned, is the following quote:

Hines the PR Clown said:
We're not going to suddenly do a top-down isometric Baldur's Gate-style game, because that's not what we do well.

What the fuck is this supposed to mean? Did Bethesda already make an isometric-perspective game that sucked? Did they even bother releasing it? I'm not familiar with all of their games, but I suspect the answers are no and no. So why is he claiming that they suck at isometric games? What kind of shit PR is this? If I was his boss, I would have canned his clown ass already!

taks

Liturgist
BINGO! a cookie to voodoo... they're only making things worse by making statements this early without any supporting information. people here are going to vent and rant until they get valid information that either confirms/denies their current beliefs. throwing out bombs such as the above only serve to aggravate the situation...

taks

suibhne

Erudite
taks said:
BINGO! a cookie to voodoo... they're only making things worse by making statements this early without any supporting information. people here are going to vent and rant until they get valid information that either confirms/denies their current beliefs. throwing out bombs such as the above only serve to aggravate the situation...

And yet - and yet - it really wouldn't be hard to come up with a party line that was respectful, honest, and vague all at the same time. BethSoft could handle this in a way that would partially mollify the seething masses,at least for the moment, but instead their PR flack is running around lobbing Molotovs. Totally bizarre, and counterproductive if they hope to have a semi-constructive relationship with the FO community through the dev cycle.

I feel somewhat better after reading the post from NMA announcing that NO decisions have yet been made. I'm not more optimistic about FO3, sure, but I'm less angry about BethSoft's blithe, arrogant perversion of the setting. Note to BethSoft: Skilful PR actually works.

triCritical

Erudite
Its kind of Ironic, but what Bethesda does best is actually quiite different then anything that made Fallout famous.

For instance, Fallout combat was pulpy, and almost tactical but at the same time fun. Bethesda combat is tedious and somthing you just sort have to do.

There were many ways to accomplish quest in Fallout. With Morrowind there were different quest for different characters. Again very different, not to mention very linearizing!

Finally social interactions is what makes Fallout key! The wit, combined with the pulpy 50 sci-fi pop culture and just hard nosed apocalyptic reality and your ability to deal with it, was golden. Bethesda has never done anything like this. Their social interaction... is well non existant.

It sort of begs the question of why they would want to tackle this product that comes with the most hardcore of niche fans?

Avin

Liturgist
could bethesda make a game similar to the ORIGINAL Fallout? that's the question. i think that it's too soon for we say they can't BUT BUT BUT if they are pointing to a first person real time game i guess they're taking the wrong train to den.

every bethesda game i have played had an original aesthetic sense... it looks like they like to create things ffrom thin air... could they capture the scifi 50's jazz mood from fo?

i dunno i dunno... i'm with exitium on that. merda, final fantasy 6 looks closer to fo than any bethesda game.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
I'm just poking fun at Avin. Basically, 'merda' means shit in English. Nothing fancy :) It was more of an attempt to not use profanity in other languages.

taks

Liturgist
i thought so, r-p, though i couldn't remember the meaning. of coruse, my brilliance brought out the word in english :)

taks

Spazmo

Erudite
Multiplatform release? Check.

Non-traditional isometric view? Check.

Anyone taking odds that it'll be real time?

plin

Liturgist
Spazmo said:
Multiplatform release? Check.

Non-traditional isometric view? Check.

Anyone taking odds that it'll be real time?

Well, here's what an actual developer said, not a PR dude:

"Anything that's said about the game now -- features, game systems, camera style, gameplay style, platforms, etc. -- is 100% speculation. NO DECISIONS HAVE BEEN MADE. So have patience. As soon as we know more and are prepared to make a detailed unveiling, we will let you know. But don't be surprised if that day is a ways off."

So, I'd say, check, uncheck. er. edit: The multi-platform release is probably a sure thing though. I don't see that as a bad thing if they do a good job. We are just plagued with bad jobs/examples of ports.

I'm guessing odds are it will be turn-based.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
plin said:
Well, here's what an actual developer said, not a PR dude:

"Anything that's said about the game now -- features, game systems, camera style, gameplay style, platforms, etc. -- is 100% speculation. NO DECISIONS HAVE BEEN MADE. So have patience. As soon as we know more and are prepared to make a detailed unveiling, we will let you know. But don't be surprised if that day is a ways off."

So, I'd say, check, uncheck. er. edit: The multi-platform release is probably a sure thing though. I don't see that as a bad thing if they do a good job. We are just plagued with bad jobs/examples of ports.

I'm guessing odds are it will be turn-based.

Plin, can I get a link to that, please?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom