Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Now that the dust has settled, can we admit that Disco Elysium is decline?

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Each generation has its great battlefield. Our grandfathers shed blood in WWII, our fathers had the ideological combat of the Cold War, and we have Disco Elysium.

May history judge us kindly.

Disco Elysium fans trigger my PTSD from the Great Meme War, bigot. It's still real to me, dammit!

Alex

Arcane
Yeah, there are a lot of action games being discussed on the Codex these days; so why should we go and make dialogue even more convoluted by adding another thing that isn't an RPG to the mix?

If action games with RPG elements count as RPG's, then adventure games with RPG elements count as well.
(snip...)

Sure they do! We can talk about Quest for Glory as much as you want. Visual Novels disguised as RPGs are another thing.

Harthwain

Magister
But that's not what this discussion is about. It's about a communist conspiracy, for which Jenkem still hasn't provided the names from his list of DE's communist supporters...
Believing there is an actual communist conspiracy is crazy on its own and he goes further than that - he claims that anyone who likes the game is part of the conspiracy.

But the absolute worst? He's so deep into his own paranoia that he's willing to write off Disco Elysium purely because of that. Now, that's absolute bullshit if I ever saw one. It's fine to not like something. It's not fine to pretend like you have a good reason to do so when all you do is being a fucking street politician. Seriously, he's seeing more political agenda in the game than there actually is and on top of that he fails to realize why political stances are in the game to begin with.

If action games with RPG elements count as RPG's, then adventure games with RPG elements count as well. Either kick out both or leave both.

We'd be happy to. But for now, we pick the battles that we can win. :obviously:
If you have to resort to such compromise, then you've already failed.

Hold up what the FUCK happened to some of the posts in this thread? A lot of monocled and prestigious posts are suddenly absent, like gameplay in Disco Elysium.

Fucking aliens.
Goddamn communists are out to get you! RUN!

Prime Junta

the implication being that you need to make a peace offering, that I am somehow your "enemy." No thought like this exists in my mind about you or anyone else at the Codex, despite what you may feel from my shitposting, it is pure projection. But you make an assumption that I am butthurt about you and then treat it as a fact while playing the victim, all while I have no idea what the fuck you are talking about, which is why I responded with "what the fuck are you talking about, faggot?" (iirc) because, like.. what the fuck are you talking about?

This was shortly after I made a photoshop meme pic after Fluent was banned tying Fluent's sudden absence with his former status in the "Disco Cabal" which was just posted to be funny and because I previously talked about the DISCO CABAL (which is semi-ironic in a post-irony world) so I thought maybe you were upset about that? But then why accuse me of being butthurt when were you presumably mad at banter?

I still don't know what you are talking about and with knowing how dirty you did IHaveHugeNick when it comes to private messages, I was certainly on the defensive after receiving a wholly unexpected and, to me, non-sequitur correspondence.

Fair enough, thanks for clearing that up. Happy to hear we're bros. I'm certainly not mad at you, and never have been. :love:

Swigen

Arbiter
Everyone ITT said:
ElatedSnoopyIndianpalmsquirrel-size_restricted.gif

If only Disco was more liek the “RPGs” legendary company’s like Obsidian produce.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Believing there is an actual communist conspiracy is crazy on its own and he goes further than that - he claims that anyone who likes the game is part of the conspiracy.

But the absolute worst? He's so deep into his own paranoia that he's willing to write off Disco Elysium purely because of that. Now, that's absolute bullshit if I ever saw one. It's fine to not like something. It's not fine to pretend like you have a good reason to do so when all you do is being a fucking street politician. Seriously, he's seeing more political agenda in the game than there actually is and on top of that he fails to realize why political stances are in the game to begin with.

You fucking morons just can't help outing yourselves.

"...willing to write off Disco Elysium..."

I'VE PLAYED THE FUCKING GAME AND EVEN STATED THAT I ENJOYED SOME OF IT BUT IT HAS ITS ISSUES, and literally the moment I, and others, criticized it people like you and other LITERAL FACTUAL CULTISTS BASED ON HOW YOU ACT jump down our throats and eviscerate us for daring to criticize your precious game, and you are willing to lie and spin people's words around to do it. Deceitful.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
When The Outer Worlds was praised by the media, the codex laughed. When Divinity: OS was praised by the media, the codex cringed. But now, when the praises are lavished on the latest adventure game-cum-visual novel solely based on its political leanings, many on the Codex celebrated.

Oh yeah, that's pretty funny. All the commietards fapping about this garbage getting awards from the Dorito Pope.
When anyone with any brains should automatically dismiss anything that even gets noticed by those people the commietards use this as some of kind of validation of their opinions.

I mean, it's fine if you're so pathetic that you need external validation, but at least be quiet about it if it comes from the Dorito Pope.

Prime Junta

I'VE PLAYED THE FUCKING GAME AND EVEN STATED THAT I ENJOYED SOME OF IT BUT IT HAS ITS ISSUES, and literally the moment I, and others, criticized it people like you and other LITERAL FACTUAL CULTISTS BASED ON HOW YOU ACT jump down our throats and eviscerate us for daring to criticize your precious game, and you are willing to lie and spin people's words around to do it. Deceitful.

You keep saying that. Examples of said evisceration and jumping down your throats would be nice.

This place is usually so polite, civil, and restrained.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Fine, Disco Elysium is such a groundbreaking experience of interactive medium that it deserves to not be bound by such simplistic terms as "Adventure Game" or "CRPG" or "Visual Novel" or other variations thereof.
It is the start of a new genre, the Computer Literary Interactive Text. CLIT for short.

DE is the best CLIT I've ever played with.

Happy now?

Atchodas

Augur
Answering to the tile of the thread : YES WE CAN.

Its not really an RPG and it won RPG of the year award so fuck this shit decline is more real than it ever was before.

I actually liked playing trough DE but calling it RPG is heresy

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Note that completing the game without using all your skill points means you don't know how to play RPGs.

This is what these people actually believe.

You keep saying that. Examples of said evisceration and jumping down your throats would be nice.

See above, commietard.

Harthwain

Magister
You fucking morons just can't help outing yourselves.

"...willing to write off Disco Elysium..."

Then how the fuck you managed to miss giant signs in the game where the communist ideology is laughed at and is universally considered terrible? How is it possible to reach the opposite conclussion if you indeed played the game? Or are you really THAT stupid?

If you have to resort to such compromise, then you've already failed.

We failed back in '45.
Try '18.

Atchodas

Augur
Also I think its hilarious that you people actually believe those privileged hipsters from Estonia are actual communists, they just talk random crap that they have no idea about(similar to random americantards who talk about communism or fascism) to incite commentary and get visibility.

I mean in proper communist society that ginger would be milking cows and getting her face beat after that by drunk commie husband :lol:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik

This place is usually so polite, civil, and restrained.

constantly insulting people who dislike DE, constantly taking every critique of DE as if that person insulted their mother, constantly making up lies and slander about the people who dislike DE, never discussing the complaints or critiques brought up about DE in good faith, always approaching someone who criticizes DE in a tribalistic way, etc.

someone can make a flippant joke about the game being a visual novel and it will easily get 8 absolutely seething replies despite being the 4234235th time it was said when any rational person would either ignore the post or give it a rating and move on. DE fanboys are so deranged it's like they are larping their DE character in real life (as close to real as codex can get anyways)

Trashos

Arcane
tactics right out of Rules for Radicals

Tactics right out of the Rules for Radicals are indeed a thing on the Codex. They were a thing in the Deadfire thread, where I first noticed them, and they are a thing in the DE thread (although I have not paid enough attention to judge how bad the situation is with DE -it was pretty bad with Deadfire).

Rules for Radicals tactics are not about having a conversation, they are about having a war. If the people who use them want to keep going like this, they can keep going. But then do not be surprised when there is backlash or unfriendliness -like, WTF do you expect?

Prime Junta

constantly insulting people who dislike DE, constantly taking every critique of DE as if that person insulted their mother, constantly making up lies and slander about the people who dislike DE, never discussing the complaints or critiques brought up about DE in good faith, always approaching someone who criticizes DE in a tribalistic way, etc.

Those are accusations, not examples. Since you've repeatedly cited me as the leader of the disco cabal, surely you provide one example each of

(1) Me insulting you
(2) Me taking your critique of DE as a personal insult
(3) Me making up a lie about you
(4) Me slandering you
(5) Me discussing a critique you're making of DE in bad faith
(6) Me approaching you in a tribalistic way
(7) etc?

N.b.: I think it's quite likely that you will find 1 and 2 at least, I've insulted lots of people here, and just around the time DE was coming out I was taking criticism of the game rather too personally. That I don't remember doing it doesn't mean I never did.

I'm also willing to apologise for engaging in any of the above behaviour, and to resolve to do my best not to do it again.

But, again, specifics would be nice, otherwise these seem like, well, baseless accusations and slander, to borrow a couple of terms you've been using ITT.

Last edited by a moderator:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Also I think its hilarious that you people actually believe those privileged hipsters from Estonia are actual communists, they just talk random crap that they have no idea about(similar to random americantards who talk about communism or fascism) to incite commentary and get visibility.

I mean in proper communist society that ginger would be milking cows and getting her face beat after that by drunk commie husband :lol:

No, but you see, these commies actually believe that under a communist regime they'd get to do whatever they want, they'd get to choose where to work and spend all day discussing minority rights or whatever.
Those are the stupid communists. The cattle. The sheeple. Then there are the smart communists (not one of them on the Codex, though) who end up in power and then slaughter the cattle.

Atchodas

Augur
these commies actually believe that under a communist regime they'd get to do whatever they want, they'd get to choose where to work and spend all day discussing minority rights or whatever.

No but you see, just because these hipsters think that way it means they are not and cannot be considered commies they are indeed just stupid sheeple talking smack

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

No, but you see, these commies actually believe that under a communist regime they'd get to do whatever they want, they'd get to choose where to work and spend all day discussing minority rights or whatever.
Those are the stupid communists. The cattle. The sheeple. Then there are the smart communists (not one of them on the Codex, though) who end up in power and then slaughter the cattle.

This man knows his communists

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
It’s a storyfag game for sure, but it does that particular job rather well.

It could’ve been better as a more robust RPG if it was more expansive and had at least Wasteland 1 style phasebased combat system, but what can you do.

About the ”adventure game” thing... The best kind of RPG is a point’n click adventure with comprehensive and well designed RPG systems at its very core. Disco is lacking a bit in that department, so the criticism is kinda understandable.

But meh, it is good for what it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom